Fiat Type 2, Front Cross Member (1 Viewer)

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Hi

I have a Bessacarr E695 on a FIAT TYPE 2 (1999) chassis.

The front cross member has rusted away completely and needs replacing.

It looks fairly easy, 3 bolts at each end a few items seem to be attached to it. Radiator support, lower Engine cover, the main alternator cables are but 3 items.

Has anyone any experience of changing the Front cross member?, and are they prone to rusting out?.

Should I do it myself or go to my local FIAT/PEUGEOT dealer, 1 mile away?.

Replacement part on E bay is around £80.

Any help would be appreciated.

dethleff

Free Member
Aug 21, 2007
somerset
Funster No
Exp
15 years
Hi

I have a Bessacarr E695 on a FIAT TYPE 2 (1999) chassis.

The front cross member has rusted away completely and needs replacing.

It looks fairly easy, 3 bolts at each end a few items seem to be attached to it. Radiator support, lower Engine cover, the main alternator cables are but 3 items.

Has anyone any experience of changing the Front cross member?, and are they prone to rusting out?.

Should I do it myself or go to my local FIAT/PEUGEOT dealer, 1 mile away?.

Replacement part on E bay is around £80.

Any help would be appreciated.

yep, had my 1995 done 2 years ago, bought one and had local garage replace it, it needs someone to support radiator.

In the past I have posted to check this cross member, it holds the towing gizmo.
Stan

Steptoe

Free Member
Jan 6, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
B class
Exp
I'm not very good at doing the 'here' bit but look halfway down this thread:

Link Removed

I enquired about this job and Geo said it was generally easy but to use plus gas on the bolts for a week or two beforehand.

I'm afraid I still haven't got a 'round tuit' :Blush:so can't speak from personal experience...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
my bro, a mechanic, told me to check this before i bought our m/h.

he said it is one place they do rust badly, evidently its in a water trap/vortex caused by the front bumper.

they are easy to replace, unless you shear off any bolts, but you MUST hold the radiator up.

if you do it yourself i'd advise a good coat of paint before you fit, dont rely on whats on already, and waxoil or similar on the inside.

nozzel

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Birmingham West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class & RV US
Exp
43 years
You may want to look at 'preloved.co.uk' its dedicated to motorhomes built on the same chassis as yours. There's always somebody who's 'done it' or knows where to get the parts from. (You can enjoy both clubs AWT)

Nozzel

mark e

Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
Mine a 2000 model needs a new coat of paint, a rub down first though. Is hammerite paint a good thing to use and give it a bit of protection ? :Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Ron & Marj

I have a 2000 model Peugeot Compass Drifter 410 and was warned on the last MOT it was going rusty and unlikely to pass any futere tests.I contacted 1St Choice on Van & Commercials on E Bay to obtain price and availability. Within 12 hours a breaker from Worksop rang, quoted a total price for member, delivery, Vat at £41, 24 hours later it was delivered by City link to my home. Quite pleased.
The advice given in previous blogs is very sound, This area is worth keeping an eye on lots of vans suffer the same problem, if you think you have a problem get a member in'stock' for the future they may become infuture very rare and will have to pay manufactures price i believe in excess of £200.
Good luck Ron W

OP
OP
E

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Just a quick note to say thank you for everyone who gave me advice on my rotten front cross member.

Replaced it this afternoon, quite easy really but did need to support the radiator as suggested.

Once again many thanks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back