fiat tag axle in the snow??

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by aba, Dec 18, 2010.

1. aba

aba

has anyone been playing in the snow with a fiat based tag axle.
    if so how did it do.
    gotta go out in mine tonight and our road is white and untreated.
    i managed in the car ok so will just have to see.

andy :thumb:

2. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

I don't have one, but I see no problems. It is not a driven axle, and merely follows what the driving wheels at the front are doing.

3. aba

aba

thats what i thought should be no different from the car except for the weight but that can help as well as cause problems.
    as we are on a single track road it shouldn't be too bad when its got dark as i will be able to see any oncoming traffic in good time so i guess its just plant the right foot to get the grip then just keep going.

andy. :thumb:

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Now there's a true home grown optimist at his peak.

5. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

I would not bother, its a big lump and if it starts sliding you will be in the Sxxt!

A ding in a motorhome is expensive and if you get stuck you wont be going anywhere

STAY AT HOME and be safe.

Peter

6. bobcat

bobcat Funster

Good advice from Peter. Do the right thing and leave it at home. Even a small bump can have you shedding tears at the cost of repairs. Bob.

7. Movin' on

Movin' on Read Only Funster

I have a Kontiki 669 Tag-axle. I drove it off site two days ago and the track was icy, in the end I had to put SHMBO behind the wheel while I pushed and that was on the flat. It's the front wheel drive that is the problem. Consider going to wherever you are going in reverse or take the previous advice and stay put.

8. niggle

niggle Banned - Rule 1

:Rofl1::Rofl1: i drove back from another funsters in cornwall with my auto trail tag in the snow 6/10 inches yesterday , few tips you might need you can p/m me, i did about 130 miles in snow easy:Laughing: i take her into the french ski ing resorts all the time,,, the tag is a lot more stable than two wheels ???:Rofl1:

9. aba

aba

pm sent niggle thanks

andy :thumb:

10. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

l would be careful Andy. Front wheel drive is fine normally. On a car, say, the weight of the engine sits over the drive wheels and gives grip. Now a MH is different, the majority of the weight is over the rear wheels, and should any weight be behind the axles, that will act like a lever taking even more grip from the front wheels. Try and keep weight towards the front if possible.

Craig.

11. niggle

niggle Banned - Rule 1

:Laughing::Laughing: reply sent :Laughing::Laughing::BigGrin:

12. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

We will echo the other advice here, take it easy and plan your route to exclude any steep gradients, up or down! The Al-ko chassis is renowned for its good handling and stability, but the majority of weight being off the drive wheels is a big handicap in icy conditions.
    It makes FWD no less popular for our continental chums during their skiing trips however, but they have authorities who know how to keep roads clear!
    We have a Chausson Welcome 35 on a RWD twin wheel transit.
    Recently, in the snow and ice, we visited Sandringham CC site for a night out. Upon arrival, we opted to use the furthest end of the site, up the hill as there were no other vans there and we liked the idea of a quiet night in the woods.
    We drove up the icy uncleared road to our chosen pitch and had a lovely quiet night.
    The following morning, reason for the lack of outfits in the pitches became apparent as, following the one-way system, a ducato-based swift got stuck after only climbing one third of the hill!
    We packed up, off-pitched and ascended the remainder of the hill to leave the site without a hiccup.
    We have had similar experiences on wet rally fields and Cls. Our old FWD Boxer-based 'van was awful when things got slippy.

13. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Just another thought..............
    I am holder of a HGV license and have had lots of driving experience both on and off road in the North of Norway in Winter during my Army days.
    When executing a tight turn on ice and snow, don't underestimate the effects of 'scrub' across the two rear axles. You might find that low speed tight turns might mean that the extra drag at the rear causes the front driving wheels to break traction.
    In this case, keep things as straight as possible until you have gained some momentum!

14. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Took mine out in the snow yesterday in the lane outside our house. It handled pretty good. Had my new snow chains on though:Rofl1::Rofl1:

15. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

You lucky people! All the online suppliers we have looked at are out of stock for the tyre size on our Transit!

16. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Bought mine a couple of months back when we first got this van as we intend to go skiing in it and have a trip to the artic circle planned.

Got them from here http://www.towequipe.co.uk/1/1/indexb566.html:thumb: