Fiat swivel driver seat pushing handbrake lever (1 Viewer)

Ian

Aug 6, 2014
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since feb 2010
I have a 2012 'Burstner Nexxo' van and the front driver seat cannot be rotated without pushing hard against the handbrake lever. It does not matter what position I have the seat. The handbrake lever has got some nasty scratches on it where the seat rubs against it. Has antyone else had this problem and more importantly does anyone know of a solution? Any advice would be appreciated.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Try releasing the handbrake after first engaging 1st gear. The seat should swivel if pushed right back and turned and turned anti clock wise, turning front of seat to the door first.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have you checked how many clicks the handbrake comes up against the recommended, maybe the cables have stretched and they need adjusting. Most rub a little bit if the seats in the wrong position when you rotate but shouldn't be like you describe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
not sure if it only applies to Mercedes, but I thought I had broken my handbrake first trip out

It sort of went floppy, wouldn't release, found it has some kind of release that if pushed down after pulling it drops to a horizontal position without releasing the brake, you then need to pull it firmly back up to be able to release it properly :)(y)

If not the same on yours, I would agree with the first gear option and no hand brake (y)

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
In have one of these fitted to my 2004 Fiat.
download (5).jpg

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
not sure if it only applies to Mercedes, but I thought I had broken my handbrake first trip out

It sort of went floppy, wouldn't release, found it has some kind of release that if pushed down after pulling it drops to a horizontal position without releasing the brake, you then need to pull it firmly back up to be able to release it properly :)(y)

If not the same on yours, I would agree with the first gear option and no hand brake (y)

That type of folding handbrake is as far as I know only on the Mercedes. Very useful once you know how it works.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
This will not stop seat rubbing, I find ours is ok if I slide it forward before rotating then push back when in position.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I've had my seat stuck over hand-brake too..
Knuas A.

Took me an age to get it off.. only discovered as I was about to move.

I couldn't release the hand-brake whilst chair was caught over it.. and it took some "waggling" of chair to find the right spot to release it.. Needless to say it put a couple of deep scores in handle... see pic

IMG_3647.JPG

So seems a potential common issue in cetain circumstances...

Alcemi

Free Member
Jun 17, 2016
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since July 2016
I have a 2012 'Burstner Nexxo' van and the front driver seat cannot be rotated without pushing hard against the handbrake lever. It does not matter what position I have the seat.
We initially had this problem with our 2016 Burstner Ixeo - then we discovered it is actually possible to rotate the driver seat without pushing against the handbrake (or releasing it) - the technique involves bringing the seat back more upright, releasing the seat swivel lever, then holding down the bar at the front of the seat to slide it backwards and forwards as appropriate whilst swivelling the seat - it won't swivel all the way round in one position, but goes round easily when you move it mid swivel. (It helps if the steering column is pushed in as far as it will go too - particularly if you have a Disklok on!).
Hope this helps!

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I agree with @Alcemi above. We have a 2010 Burstner Solano with battle scars on the handbrake. I find it easier to rotate the drivers seat when stood outside and watching what is making contact where. After a few practices like this you will get the hang of sliding the seat to the right position to rotate.
I also developed the habit of switching of the ignition and in the same movement releasing the steering wheel into its parked position.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
That type of folding handbrake is as far as I know only on the Mercedes. Very useful once you know how it works.

Our Burstner, based on the Renault Master has a similar type of "drop out of the way" handbrake but I tend to just leave it in gear unless we're up on the ramps.

OP
OP
Ian

Ian

Aug 6, 2014
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since feb 2010
Thanks to all for the suggested cures. I have played around with the seat & hand brake & the only solution seems to be the release of the handbrake. as suggested by normanandsue. I have always been a bit dubious of leaving the handbrake off but now, I suppose in hindsight, with the motorhome in gear and on reasonably flat ground it should be OK. It was a bit restricted also due to the side bench behind the drivers seat and has always needed a bit of jiggling. Anyway thanks to all. I will use this procedure in future.. Just hope I remember to disengage gear before starting off.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
How does this work out of interest?

Instead of the handbrake being attached to the actual quadrant with the teeth on it is separate but pivots on the same mounting . It has a pin that goes in to a slot in the quadrant. When you lift lever from the down position the pin then lifts the quadrant so you can press button to unlock & lower. How the locking mechanism worked I cannot remember ? Someone else might though. I think they were discontinued due to the cost probably.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back