fiat sea new life ?

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by dodge1029, Jul 6, 2010.

1. dodge1029

dodge1029 Read Only Funster

hi me and my wife have always decided to buy a motor home when we retire but after looking around we are thinking why wait , we have two children but i work alot , even so the job is not a problem as you learn to work round this , we saw a beautiful motor home which is a fiat sea new life 48 2009 with 3200 miles it ticked all my boxes in my non expierenced knowledge of MH , at £29000 this is a big investment so if anybody could advise me on my potential purchase then i would be very grateful thanks :Smile:

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

You've got the right idea there - do it NOW.

You main worry is judder - test it well in reverse and demand an upgrade from Fiat if it does. Otherwise it's not even nearly run in and under warranty.

I do not know that make at all.

Do a forum search and google search under "juddergate", all will be revealed.

3. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

When I saw the post title I thought it was a typo .. and read it as

Fiat see new life ....

thought is was about a Fiat buy-out :Doh:

5. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Hello and welcome to fun.
    We have done just what your wanting to do. We were going to stick to the caravans till the kids left , and we retired , then thought why ??
    We can afford it now , and you hear of so many people dropping dead or having strokes, just when they want to start retiring:Sad:

Best thing we ever did. Ralph works really hard , hes a self employed builder.
    We use our MH most weekends, and he really unwinds . Hes even been known to switch off his phone a lately:BigGrin: . We bought ours Nov last year and are members of the C.C.C. and a rally group. So usually we pick the kids up from school in it on Friday , go off on our travels somewhere returning home Sunday tea time .

We sometimes take it out just for the day to riversides etc , have nice cold drinks , fresh salads and meats in the fridge , a loo and BBQ 's all to hand . If hes had to work a Saturday.
    We have used it to go to our favorite country pubs for meals out , then sleep in it in the car park.
    Then of course we have the odd week break in it in the school holls , we went to the I.O.W in May .
    We have a couple of week long trips planned for the 6 weeks holls , in GB somewhere. But our Main holiday will be to Gran Canaria this year. ( not in the MH:Laughing:)
    Our MH Has a Fiat base , 2006 , no problems with it at all. Plenty power no judder when reversing.
    The only advise i could offer is to make sure you have the correct layout inside . I think bunks and an over cab bed are great , personally , when you have kids.
    No beds to make up:Wink: Make sure the lounge area is comfy for lounging too. And you have a big enough fridge. Oh and that you can actually bend down and move freely in the shower cubicle :thumb:
    Bev

6. Heyupluv

Hi Dodge 1029
    I have the new Fiat like what you are looking at, and it drives like a dream ..it is fast and good on mpg, my Fiat 130multi jet gives me from around 28 to 33 mpg....now the so called juddergate if you read the thread the Juddergate...then you may never buy a fiat again !!!!!! now what they mean by the judder, it seems as though the reverse gear is a little on the high side (ratio I mean).... and the first gear a little on the low ratio......so if you took your foot of the clutch in reverse you would most likely pass Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button off pole position...so what you do is slip your clutch and that is were you get a judder.......(as you do with a few other vehicles when slipping the clutch).... on a straight run in reverse it is terrific or for some people terrifying,........ in a tight spot you just slip the clutch a little....up a hill in reverse is no problem you will at the top in 2 seconds flat.

Mel :thumb: :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

7. lesleyjean

lesleyjean Funster

Hi

Seems a really good price, see link, the link one is £34.995

http://caravansearcher.co.uk/caravans/component/option,com_ezrealty/task,detail/id,2147/Itemid,26/

Lesley

8. dodge1029

dodge1029 Read Only Funster

:BigGrin:thanks for the quick reply now its time for research into the whole expierence i.e what equipment i need , we were campers before so this is a big step up

9. Frankie

Frankie Funster

Hi, We have a Sea newlife LP Ice that we bought new late 08. Very pleased with van and had no trouble what so ever.
    Thought we was the only one who had one. go for it.:thumb:

10. bailey

bailey

Sorry but you seem to have a problem or hang up on the The Judder as you have posted on several ocassions. i have had for the last 7 years a Fiat based mh and have had no problems indeed like the last post it drives like a dream

Bill:Blush::Blush::Blush:

11. hilldweller

12. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

No don't think he has a hang up, if you had read the posts on this and other forums from people and the troubles they have had, then I think you should feel lucky you have not had problems. If there is nothing wrong why has Fiat spent pounds putting them right.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

13. hilldweller

And I will continue to post every time someone asks what could go wrong with an X250 Fiat.

You may know about juddergate this potential buyer may not.

You may be a fortunate X250 owner, others have had their gearboxes self destruct, there does not seem to be an identifiable pattern which make or model is going to be affected.

You could of course state publically here and now that there is no judder problem with Fiat X250 and you will personally indemnify all purchasers against any judder, gearbox, water ingress problems arising should they purchase one.

14. scotjimland

7 year old is pre juddergate model , the problem is with the X250 van

15. hilldweller

Oops, I missed that.

I also have a 7 YO Fiat and on many occasions I've said how very good it is mechanically.

16. bailey

bailey

AS i said i have had a Fiat based mh for several years the latest Being a x250 08 model perfect also have friends that have nothing but complaints regarding other models i comment on the fact i have the Model not hear say

Bill

17. scotjimland

Hi Bill ,

a misunderstanding , I read it as one Fiat MH for 7 years .. thanks for clarifying

18. bailey

bailey

Like i said i can only comment on my HM done 15000 miles and i have had no problem when The judder came to light the first thing i did was put it through its paces as i life in Scotland we are not short of a few hills 1.7 no problems what so ever perhaps it is because it is a 3lt model But i remember years ago when i was a tugger the best car i had was a Frontera for tugging yet it was cremated by the press

Bill:Blush::Blush:

19. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Hi Bill

The fact yours is the 3Ltr model is a help to you, most of the problems have been with the 2.3 model, but not totally.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

20. Heyupluv

Mine is 2008 and has done 28000 and I love it to bits.......I have heard bad stories about Mercs and Ford, how some people would never have another Merc, and they was fleet vans ??????
    The question is, if i was buying another new motorhome (which I am looking for at the moment) would I buy another Fiat "YES"........

Mel:thumb: