fiat sea new life ? (1 Viewer)

dodge1029

Free Member
Jul 6, 2010
Funster No
hi me and my wife have always decided to buy a motor home when we retire but after looking around we are thinking why wait , we have two children but i work alot , even so the job is not a problem as you learn to work round this , we saw a beautiful motor home which is a fiat sea new life 48 2009 with 3200 miles it ticked all my boxes in my non expierenced knowledge of MH , at £29000 this is a big investment so if anybody could advise me on my potential purchase then i would be very grateful thanks :Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
hi me and my wife have always decided to buy a motor home when we retire but after looking around we are thinking why wait , we have two children but i work alot , even so the job is not a problem as you learn to work round this , we saw a beautiful motor home which is a fiat sea new life 48 2009 with 3200 miles it ticked all my boxes in my non expierenced knowledge of MH , at £29000 this is a big investment so if anybody could advise me on my potential purchase then i would be very grateful thanks :Smile:

You've got the right idea there - do it NOW.

You main worry is judder - test it well in reverse and demand an upgrade from Fiat if it does. Otherwise it's not even nearly run in and under warranty.

I do not know that make at all.

Do a forum search and google search under "juddergate", all will be revealed.

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

You main worry is judder - test it well in reverse and demand an upgrade from Fiat if it does. Otherwise it's not even nearly run in and under warranty.

here you are Brian...
http://www.ukcaravansforsale.co.uk/index.php?option=com_ezrealty&task=detail&id=2219&Itemid=61

Mel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hello and welcome to fun.
We have done just what your wanting to do. We were going to stick to the caravans till the kids left , and we retired , then thought why ??
We can afford it now , and you hear of so many people dropping dead or having strokes, just when they want to start retiring:Sad:

Best thing we ever did. Ralph works really hard , hes a self employed builder.
We use our MH most weekends, and he really unwinds . Hes even been known to switch off his phone a lately::bigsmile: . We bought ours Nov last year and are members of the C.C.C. and a rally group. So usually we pick the kids up from school in it on Friday , go off on our travels somewhere returning home Sunday tea time .

We sometimes take it out just for the day to riversides etc , have nice cold drinks , fresh salads and meats in the fridge , a loo and BBQ 's all to hand . If hes had to work a Saturday.
We have used it to go to our favorite country pubs for meals out , then sleep in it in the car park.
Then of course we have the odd week break in it in the school holls , we went to the I.O.W in May .
We have a couple of week long trips planned for the 6 weeks holls , in GB somewhere. But our Main holiday will be to Gran Canaria this year. ( not in the MH:roflmto:)
Our MH Has a Fiat base , 2006 , no problems with it at all. Plenty power no judder when reversing.
The only advise i could offer is to make sure you have the correct layout inside . I think bunks and an over cab bed are great , personally , when you have kids.
No beds to make up:winky: Make sure the lounge area is comfy for lounging too. And you have a big enough fridge. Oh and that you can actually bend down and move freely in the shower cubicle :thumb:
Bev

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Hi Dodge 1029
I have the new Fiat like what you are looking at, and it drives like a dream ..it is fast and good on mpg, my Fiat 130multi jet gives me from around 28 to 33 mpg....now the so called juddergate if you read the thread the Juddergate...then you may never buy a fiat again !!!!!! now what they mean by the judder, it seems as though the reverse gear is a little on the high side (ratio I mean).... and the first gear a little on the low ratio......so if you took your foot of the clutch in reverse you would most likely pass Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button off pole position...so what you do is slip your clutch and that is were you get a judder.......(as you do with a few other vehicles when slipping the clutch).... on a straight run in reverse it is terrific or for some people terrifying,........ in a tight spot you just slip the clutch a little....up a hill in reverse is no problem you will at the top in 2 seconds flat.

Mel :thumb: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class

Hi

Seems a really good price, see link, the link one is £34.995

Link Removed

Lesley

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dodge1029

Free Member
Jul 6, 2010
Funster No
::bigsmile:thanks for the quick reply now its time for research into the whole expierence i.e what equipment i need , we were campers before so this is a big step up

Upvote 0

Frankie

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2008
Hi, We have a Sea newlife LP Ice that we bought new late 08. Very pleased with van and had no trouble what so ever.
Thought we was the only one who had one. go for it.:thumb:

Upvote 0
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger

Sorry but you seem to have a problem or hang up on the The Judder as you have posted on several ocassions. i have had for the last 7 years a Fiat based mh and have had no problems indeed like the last post it drives like a dream

Bill:Blush::Blush::Blush:

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Sorry but you seem to have a problem or hang up on the The Judder as you have posted on several ocassions. i have had for the last 7 years a Fiat based mh and have had no problems indeed like the last post it drives like a dream

No don't think he has a hang up, if you had read the posts on this and other forums from people and the troubles they have had, then I think you should feel lucky you have not had problems. If there is nothing wrong why has Fiat spent pounds putting them right.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Sorry but you seem to have a problem or hang up on the The Judder as you have posted on several ocassions.

And I will continue to post every time someone asks what could go wrong with an X250 Fiat.

You may know about juddergate this potential buyer may not.

You may be a fortunate X250 owner, others have had their gearboxes self destruct, there does not seem to be an identifiable pattern which make or model is going to be affected.

You could of course state publically here and now that there is no judder problem with Fiat X250 and you will personally indemnify all purchasers against any judder, gearbox, water ingress problems arising should they purchase one.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

7 year old is pre juddergate model , the problem is with the X250 van

Upvote 0
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Oops, I missed that.

I also have a 7 YO Fiat and on many occasions I've said how very good it is mechanically.

AS i said i have had a Fiat based mh for several years the latest Being a x250 08 model perfect also have friends that have nothing but complaints regarding other models i comment on the fact i have the Model not hear say

Bill

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

AS i said i have had a Fiat based mh for several years the latest Being a x250 08 model perfect also have friends that have nothing but complaints regarding other models i comment on the fact i have the Model not hear say

Bill

Hi Bill ,

a misunderstanding , I read it as one Fiat MH for 7 years .. thanks for clarifying

Upvote 0
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Hi Bill ,

a misunderstanding , I read it as one Fiat HM for 7 years .. thanks for clarifying

Like i said i can only comment on my HM done 15000 miles and i have had no problem when The judder came to light the first thing i did was put it through its paces as i life in Scotland we are not short of a few hills 1.7 no problems what so ever perhaps it is because it is a 3lt model But i remember years ago when i was a tugger the best car i had was a Frontera for tugging yet it was cremated by the press

Bill:Blush::Blush:

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Bill

The fact yours is the 3Ltr model is a help to you, most of the problems have been with the 2.3 model, but not totally.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Mine is 2008 and has done 28000 and I love it to bits.......I have heard bad stories about Mercs and Ford, how some people would never have another Merc, and they was fleet vans ??????
The question is, if i was buying another new motorhome (which I am looking for at the moment) would I buy another Fiat "YES"........

Mel:thumb:

Upvote 0
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Mine is 2008 and has done 28000 and I love it to bits.......I have heard bad stories about Mercs and Ford, how some people would never have another Merc, and they was fleet vans ??????
The question is, if i was buying another new motorhome (which I am looking for at the moment) would I buy another Fiat "YES"........

Here Here you tend to find that most comments about the Fiat come from People that have other makes are they Jealous

Bill :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Here Here you tend to find that most comments about the Fiat come from People that have other makes are they Jealous

Bill :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I think if you have one the new type X250 2.3 multijet then yes make a comment,
If not it is just here say and what you /they have read....I am not saying every one is perfect what is.....there are good and bad in all motor vehicles......

Even the RR...Bentley....and the famous Jap TOYOTA / lexus all have problems now and again

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If not it is just here say and what you /they have read...

Oh OK.

So none of us can comment on The Holocaust because it's just hearsay.

None of us can comment on our dead soldiers in Afghanistan, it's just hearsay.

None of us can comment on our splendid UK footballers, it's just hearsay.

So if you haven't got lung cancer you can't advise anyone to stop smoking, it's just hearsay.

You need to look up the word FACT.

Upvote 0
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Oh OK.

So if you haven't got lung cancer you can't advise anyone to stop smoking, it's just hearsay.

I take it you dont have the model we are talking about but like the rest of the sheep baaa baaaa

Bill

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Oh OK.

If they are as bad as Brian implied, (The Juddergate), with what he has read in previous post's and forums. Then why is Peter from John Cross M/homes and all the other motorhome companies all over the world still selling Fiat base motorhomes, who would want all that agro!!!!!!

When I purchased my motorhome over here in France I was told Fiat base was used in 70% of motorhomes made all over the world and the other 30% was Ford, Mercedes, Iveco, VW etc.

Mel

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If they are as bad as Brian has said, (The Juddergate), with what he has read in previous post's and forums. Then why is Peter from John Cross M/homes and all the other motorhome companies all over the world still selling Fiat base motorhomes, who would want all that agro!!!!!!

When I purchased my motorhome over here in France I was told Fiat base was used in 70% of motorhomes made all over the world and the other 30% was Ford, Mercedes, Iveco, VW etc.

Mel

Brian has not said how bad they are, Brian prompted a potential purchaser to do the relevant test for a known major fault that has affected hundreds of motorhomes across Europe. Brian is particularly disgusted with Fiat's attitude because for ages Fiat blamed the end user for bad driving and without the power of the internet they might have got away with it.

They all use Fiat because Fiat is cheap and it's impossible to swap production to a better chassis in a short timescale. These people don't really care because it's Fiat's problem not there's and the most important thing is to keep the factory/dealership going. They may have the saving grace of assuming it's a limited problem that Fiat will solve, which they have, though there is still about 3 years production of suspect vehicles out there.

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Brian has not said how bad they are, Brian prompted a potential purchaser to do the relevant test for a known major fault that has affected hundreds of motorhomes across Europe. Brian is particularly disgusted with Fiat's attitude because for ages Fiat blamed the end user for bad driving and without the power of the internet they might have got away with it.

They all use Fiat because Fiat is cheap and it's impossible to swap production to a better chassis in a short timescale. These people don't really care because it's Fiat's problem not there's and the most important thing is to keep the factory/dealership going. They may have the saving grace of assuming it's a limited problem that Fiat will solve, which they have, though there is still about 3 years production of suspect vehicles out there.

My apologies I have altered it to "implied" and removed the word "said".

Yet again Brian we seem to disagree.....we have different opinions
(as many people do, have different opinions)

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I take it you dont have the model we are talking about but like the rest of the sheep baaa baaaa

Bill

YOU don't have the model we we're talking about. The 3l auto is as rare as hens teeth and probably has quite different ratios to the manual box. You may as well be driving a Mercedes for all the relevance it has to the high reverse gear manual box with soft engine mounts.

You may suffer the same water leak on the the engine which did a lot of damage to a FUNsters motor during freezing weather. But this is just hearsay so I can't warn you of a possible defect.

Upvote 0
Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
I have the X250 2.3 and can only say it pulls smoothly and powerfully backwards or fowards which I cannot say for my previous 06 gutless 2.3 Fiat:roflmto:

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well - we do own the Juddergate model, it was quite scary at times esp uphill on damp grass which delivery vans don't go on a lot but we did find happened relatively frequently on now where was it - Oh yes, I remember! - campsites, that was it .... and as for trying to reverse onto those levelling blocks - Pete gave that idea up fairly instantly.

Someone in France told us about the 'engine leak' prob last year but had a look with Pete and said we didn't need the mod, I thought that was on the vans slightly older than ours, but not sure.

Anyway at the NEC M'home show this year we said to the man on the Fiat stand, excuse us mate, but we seem to have a problem. And he took a note of it and got Fiat Customer Services to ring us after the show, Pete told em all about it. Our local Fiat dealer then rang us up and said Fiat had authorised a full repair, they had all the bits, when would we like em to do it? And they did it. And it's fine.

Look I'm not at all mechanically minded, although I can drive and I did know what some things were on older engines, you need an electronics degree, not a set of spanners these days! but you can actually hear it, and then you can smell it LOL You might not find it just reversing on tarmac though. Depends how bad it is!

No swearing or table thumping needed to be done because by the time we got to the problem - someone else had had all the angst and Fiat were onto it. It isn't all the vans, it's just some of em. You either have it or not.

And if anyyone sets themselves dead against Fiat then there will be A LOT of makes of vans they can't have. And a lot of different vans all dealers would be stuck with.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back