Fiat Red Key (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I have recently purchased a 2003 Hymer based on Ducato etc.
From reading other posts I gather the red key is very important.
I was given a red key from the seller but having looked at it I think it`s a "red herring" apologies for the pun. It doesn`t fit anything and has Trelock printed on it and if you google this it comes up with bike locks !
The Fiat handbook also refers to a code card "to be passed onto new owner" this seems to contain a code to start the engine in "emergency" or maybe after the battery been disconnected ?
The seller doesn`t have the red key or code card and wasn`t given them as far as he`s aware.
My ingition key is stamped with a 2 which I seem to recall may be significant.
So I could do with knowing if i`m facing problems in the future if I need to disconnect the battery or it goes flat etc.
Do I need this card code the hand book refers to and can I get it from somewhere ? same question regarding the red key.
Thanks.....

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The red key is identical in looks to the black/blue key with the obvious exception.

The code cards were never issued in the UK due to insurance companies getting their knickers knotted over security.....card in glove box etc.

The main/supplying fiat dealer will have the code on file related to the reg number or vin number.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Cant find the exact year fiat discontinued the red key in favour of the code card but i seem to remember it was 2002/3 so yours may not have one.

Take your vin or reg number to a fiat main dealer....they will be able to tell you.

Without the red key, if it applies to you, you cant get new keys programmed to your immobiliser.

If you lose what keys you have it may cost up to £1000 for a new engine management computer, which includes the immobiliser, and a set of new keys programmed to the EMC.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I've got a vague recollection of reading that the 2 stamped on the key may indicate no red key was issued? I'll ring a main dealer and see what they can tell me.
Thanks for your info ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back