Free Member
Mar 3, 2011
St.Neots Cambs
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1993
Hi all.Any ideas please. I have a 1997 fiat 630 Royale, it's just gone through the mot failed on front cross member which has been renewed.Now however its developed a list to the offside rear.I've no idea if this is anything to do with the x member or is there something wrong with the back suspension.Were off to spain the 31st so hoping to get it sorted out before then. Many thanks for any help,info best regards Barry.:helpsos:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Mine has done the same but it is a panel van. The rear leaf springs have all but collapsed.

I am getting a replacement set from these guys.
Link Removed

They are doing a 3 leaf version though for an extra £50 (ish)

Not sure if you have an alco chassis or a standard Fiat on in yours?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
neither rear nor front suspension is fully dependant on the front cross member...it merely holds the front of the chassis legs in place and supports the radiator.

sounds like you have a broken rear spring if its a Fiat rear chassis or if its an Alko-Kober chassis then maybe a broken torsion bar......broken torsion bar may mean a new rear axle....around £1500 + fitting from memory.

Alko suspension is critical on lubrication to prevent seizing and breakage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sounds like the springs are getting weak from being constantly under load. there are firms about that can refurbish your old springs or fit new. once done you might consider fitting air springs to help prevent it happening again. marcle leisure do a kit for about £400.

OP
OP
B

barrybus

Free Member
Mar 3, 2011
St.Neots Cambs
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1993
Suspension

Hi all thanks for the replies so far it is an alko chassis and it seem to be about an inch and a half lower on the offside.I forgot to say that it passed the mot after the x member was fitted,it was when I got home and parked up on my daughters drive that we noticed the list.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi all thanks for the replies so far it is an alko chassis and it seem to be about an inch and a half lower on the offside.I forgot to say that it passed the mot after the x member was fitted,it was when I got home and parked up on my daughters drive that we noticed the list.

thats different then and is likely to cost big money to fix. very few garages know how to service and grease an alko axle, leading to them failing prematurely. you may be lucky and find a second hand axle at a comercial breakers otherwise its £1500 + for a new one

do a google search for alko torsion bar problems for many many more people suffering the same problem with their vans.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sam and Viv

Free Member
Sep 1, 2010
fife
Funster No
MH
hi-top
Exp
of-on with caravans-40yrs
Alco suspension

Hi Barrybus
This is a common fault in these motorhomes. I have the same van. Try jacking both rear wheels off the ground at the same time. If you look under the rear axle there is two grease nipples, one at either side. Pump grease into both sides until you feel a little pressure, put the van back on the road then see what happens. You may need to pump some more grease into the side that is lower. If you are lucky this will solve your problems. Grease the nipples at least once or twice a year with a grease gun. Best of luck.:thumb:
Sammy

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Barrybus
This is a common fault in these motorhomes. I have the same van. Try jacking both rear wheels off the ground at the same time. If you look under the rear axle there is two grease nipples, one at either side. Pump grease into both sides until you feel a little pressure, put the van back on the road then see what happens. You may need to pump some more grease into the side that is lower. If you are lucky this will solve your problems. Grease the nipples at least once or twice a year with a grease gun. Best of luck.:thumb:
Sammy
In addition.....

the wheels MUST be clear of the ground when applying grease....preferably both wheels at the same time.
failure to raise the wheels will restrict the amount, and free flow, of grease going into the axle tube.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back