Fiat rear suspension upgrade

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by injebreck99, Sep 30, 2012.

1. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

While we were in the Mosel area this week, we saw a large number of people riding electric bikes of varying makes, my cycle rack has a 60KG capacity, any one know how heavy these bikes weigh in at, we would like to get 2 to carry on the rack.
    As my Bolero 600 has a fair bit of rear overhang I am concerned about the effect of bikes/racks on my rear suspension payload, is there a good spring assist system recommended for my M/H, (Fiat Ducato X250, 3300KG rated).

2. Phill D

Phill D

We have a folding electric bike which bags up and fits in a locker as i dont have a bike rack by choice.
    To answer your question it weighs around 16kgs and the battery 4kgs

• Like Like x 1
  3. aba

aba

• Like Like x 1
  4. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

Electric bikes

What make of bike do you have, I know nothing of electric bikes, I presume that range is a consideration besides weight,I also presume the more you pay, the more you get ?.

5. Phill D

Phill D

Bit of a mine field electric bikes.... theres a lot about. Much to read on the tinterweb.... carefull if you buy used batteries are expensive like £200+, there are also legal limits on power and speed to use without road tax etc.
    We bought a dike from Greenzebra, its an ex demo model folding, as new condition but much cheaper.

On ebay you can get a new bike for £400+ but again watch the type of bettery they offer, you need to read a few reviews on bikes on web that will steer you. Then its down to your preference and the depth of your pocket. We paid £550 and love the bike.

Ps... a non folding bike may be a few pounds lighter.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  7. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

My motorhome was also rated at 3.3 T. I simply uprated it to 3.5 T without having to make any structual changes to the motorhome and this enabled me to increase my load.
    You may be able to do this too, as long as you do not exceed the plated load capacity for your rear axle.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Without re-plating, your rear axle weight limit is set in stone, air suspension assist or not!

• Like Like x 1