lifesabeach

Free Member
Sep 4, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
I dont know
Exp
Hi we have a 1.9td Fiat Auto Roller 1999 5 speed.
Its seems to be running very hot at around 87 to 90 and when we hit hills the temp guage goes right up to 100 and some.
We have had a diferent ratio gearbox fitted after the last one failed twice.so it goes up hills easier as before it just died on hills but now its costing more on fuel as its reving higher at around 60mph.

I suppose the ultimate question is is it actually possible to have a larger engine fitted?
We still have two years finance to pay on the van and dont quiet have enough funds to pay a big deposit out for a new part exchange.
Any advice anyone?
thanks.

welsh winger

Free Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sunny Swansea
Funster No
MH
swift lifestyle
Exp
4 years
I think you have answered your own question, as the van is revving higher than before, It will use more fuel, I had a 1.9TD until last year and yes it did not like hills, in you case altering the gearing has improved that, but at an increase in fuel consumption.

The short answer is yes you can fit another engine, but you will be looking at a similar amount to the deposit, as bigger engine needs bigger brakes etc etc.

Nick

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sounds like the higher constant revs are to blame for the rise in temprature.....higher revs but no increase in airflow across the radiator.
short of fitting a bigger radiator, or reverting to the original ratio's, theres not a lot you can do about that.

the actual chassis rails will be the same regardless of engine size but the engine/gearbox mounting positions, along with driveshafts, exhaust system etc may be different on other engines so some engineering/welding skills and deep pockets would be needed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
L

lifesabeach

Free Member
Sep 4, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
I dont know
Exp
What sort of cost do you think changing the engine will be?
Things like brakes I can do myself.
The engine run hot before we changed the gearbox.
IM contemplating going back to the standard gearbox and fitting one of those chip things that gives you more power on hills ect but the heat problem worries me.
IM wondering what cod cause the heat problem as Ive said its existed before the gearbox change.
Thanks.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
are you sure your electric cooling fan is cutting in?
if not check relay above battery:thumb:

welsh winger

Free Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sunny Swansea
Funster No
MH
swift lifestyle
Exp
4 years
Worth removing the rad and getting it cleaned out, that would be my first starting point, Any good rad repair shop will do it for you.

From a chat I had with a mate in the trade, he suggested a minimum of £2000 for an engine swap, remember that a 2.5 engine for example would also require its ecu unit and as mentioned possibly gearbox drive shafts.

better off part exchanging your van and using the money for that, just my opinion, because thats exactly what we did, for all the same reasons.

Nick

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
This is a complete "off the wall" suggestion but does it have an intercooler? You might be able to get some performance improvements with one and maybe a re-chip. That would be a lot simpler and cheaper than an engine swap.

This won't solve your existing heating problems though, I'm wondering about the water pump not behaving itself as well as the other suggestions you've had.

OP
OP
L

lifesabeach

Free Member
Sep 4, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
I dont know
Exp
Not alarmingly Chris no.
I drove it to Italy and back last year with the old gear box and it just dies on hills really the Italian lorry drivers were right swines beebing me for going slow.
We nearly over heated near Naples but to be fair it was massive climbs and hills.
We also had to pull up and stop for a bit in Switzerland.
It baffles me as the engine has only done 42000 and ive checked all the previous mots to see if its genuine.
We wanted to take a year out next summer so I could do without having to finance a new van on credit.
Thanks

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Concur with a lot of the above, I know you will just want a quick fix, but start with the basics. Make sure the electric fan is cutting in when it should, check that the radiator is doing its job, first thing is get a pump up garden sprayer (not a power washer) and clean all the fins out. Then get a local rad place or garage to check its free flow, (i do mine with a temp sensor i have, placing it on different places on the rad, infa red ones are available cheaply).
Also make sure that the fan belt and water pump are working OK, a belt slipping under load does not always ,make a noise.
Once you have done all of that, get a compression test done on the engine, just to make sure its delivering the power it should, there aint a "chip" in the world thats any use to a worn out engine.

A 1.9 diesel will struggle on hills, to be honest they are a tad underpowered, if the fan is working and the cooling system is all up to scratch......then it may not be the motor for you. as far as a conversion goes, forget it, time you have bought a good engine, all the ancillaries, done the fitting, paid extra to insurance company 'cos you have now "converted" it...you may as well look at trying to trade it in.

OP
OP
L

lifesabeach

Free Member
Sep 4, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
I dont know
Exp
This is a complete "off the wall" suggestion but does it have an intercooler? You might be able to get some performance improvements with one and maybe a re-chip. That would be a lot simpler and cheaper than an engine swap.

This won't solve your existing heating problems though, I'm wondering about the water pump not behaving itself as well as the other suggestions you've had.
Ive no idea what an intercoller is how do I check BobProperty?
Thanks for the ideas I have been thinking about a rechip too.

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
I would also check the thermostat, it can cause the problems your talking about and is a very easy fix. is the pump timing right ? this can also cause an increase in fuel consumption and overheating.

John

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!

I think this is the same engine as mine and I think it has one to the left of the rad if you are looking from the front:thumb:

Mine will get hotter going up steep hills, but not sure yet if it will overheat as I've not been up any long steep hills:Smile:

free 2 roam

Free Member
Jan 17, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On/off since 1976
I aggree with the previous post regarding the overheating. I would first check the fans function then change the thermostate and final use holts radiator flushing fluid before going to more expensive actions.

I have just subscribed to the forum to add this. I had a Fiat 1.9TD in 2001 and found that it would not get over 50mph on flat roads and only slightly better down hill. With the help of a friend we discovered that depressing the throttle to the floor did not fully open the injector pump by quite a considerable amount. I had to adjust the position the throttle cable connected to the injector pump throttle arm and remove all the slack in the system and I am not quite sure now if I had to modify the throttle pedal.

In addition make sure the throttle is clear to the floor, no carpet etc.

welsh winger

Free Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sunny Swansea
Funster No
MH
swift lifestyle
Exp
4 years

The intercooler is an alloy radiator that "chills" the air to the enigine, follow the pipes from the air filter box, one will go to the engine and the other to the intercooler if one is fitted.

holts flush will remove loose crap and has in the past made matters worst, by further blocking the tubes ( my son repairs rads for a living he has seen the outcome of holts flush)

If you do remove the rad for cleaning, which I recommend, it takes not time to remove the intercooler, That cleans out nicely with engine degreaser, worth doing, especially when you see what crap comes out.

Nick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back