Fiat Ducatto wing view mirror in bits..... (1 Viewer)

Robert 314

Free Member
Oct 15, 2015
Taunton. Somerset.
Funster No
MH
MH within 3 months.
Exp
Converted van. 5 yrs exploring.
I used to laugh at people who'd paid over £100 for a cover for their wing mirrors. I used to think they were a sign of some-one who had too much money. I certainly don't think that anymore. As a French motorhomer and myself acknowledged each other, we 'kissed' as they say in Paris if you bump another car.
He had covers on his wing mirrors! All fine.
Where's the best and cheapest place to get a single mirror unit. The glass is fine just the outer shell is missing a few bits.
Thanks if you can help.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I got both of mine off of fleabay. A complete unit ( motorised ) was £125 delivered, a case was £36 delivered

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
I also used to laugh at people spending over a hundred quid on a couple of bits of plastic which, I thought, would make no difference in a "mirror on mirror" dust up.
I was wrong - very wrong.
The wife bought me a pair of Mirror Guards for my birthday, which I begrudgingly spent 5 minutes of my life fitting.
Then in Scotland, as we driving into Killin - it happened. A fairly narrow road, but wide enough for two to pass with a bit of care and consideration. I spotted Mr Nissan Quashqi coming in the opposite direction - and instantly got that feeling of "this is gonna be a close one"
The glancing impact left us with the offside mirror glass hanging by the heater wires. A fortunately placed farmyard some 200 yards or so up the road let us pull in and clip the mirror back in - all in one piece. Result !!
Mr Quashqi turns up - mirror (and housing) totally obliterated.
After a few words, we shook hands and went on our ways - only one of us smirking ;)
Motorhome 1 - Nissan crapcar 0

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I can see the sense in mirror covers, but they are very expensive - too expensive to bother I decided (yes, I know, smash the mirror and I may change my mind!)

One thing I do carry though is some cheapo mirror glass - I hate driving with no mirrors. Look on Ebay and you can buy self-adhesive backed mirror glass that is designed to stick over broken glass - bad idea as a permanent repair but good enough to get you through the rest of a holiday. I think I paid £7 in total for both the passenger and driver's side glass, they sit in their box on top of my wall cupboards to hopefully never be used!

If it's just the outer shell Robert you can buy those separately fairly cheaply - such as:-

Link Removed

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
@Robert 314 - had the same problem myself in France a few weeks ago - indicator lens smashed and mirror 'back' badly damaged. I was able to buy a replacement indicator unit from eBay and fitted a pair of (the proper) MirrorGuards. The result is that the damage to the mirror casing is covered and I have the mirror guards now that should help to prevent it happening again. Total cost was about £140.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I think we must be the unluckiest in the world when it comes to mirrors !
Off side one obliterated by white lorry tipper truck with no names on it and moving too fast for the dash cam to get the number .
Near side one taken out in France whilst parked
Offside one smashed by white van man in a car park.. Got the number but it seems the van was on false plates
Nearside indicator clobbered by an errant branch sticking out of a hedge
Offside indicator bashed again but no idea when or where.. Just noticed the lens was cracked.. and it will stay cracked for the time being !

A few weeks ago @Steve and Kat (members of Fun ) had a pair of the very proper guards up for sale.. Duly grabbed and fitted.. I shall rest ( drive at least ) easier in my mind now

Sep 23, 2014
weston s mare
Funster No
MH
frankia A class
Exp
Last month we were going down a 2 lane motorway in france and I clipped my nearside mirror and as in previous posts broke the mirror plastic back housing and it flipped the glass out so as a temp measure got as large a glass as I could find with a roll of double sided tape and I good to go. We have a German A class of a 2007 vintage
On return our return home I asked the agent for a replacement mirror head a couple of days later they came back to me and quoted £1660.00. I think my mirror guards ought to be Securicor ??

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Local lad had something similar.. Bought a PAIR of truck mirrors that had the same fittings for £180 ( I think he got them from Iveco )

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
Wing mirror guards are a great benefit, protecting from the occasional 'ping', but they can also hide a multitude of sins!

If buying a used motorhome fitted with mirror guards, I would recommend you ask for them to be removed, so that the mirror underneath can be inspected for damage. That way, you won't end up having a shock when you first remove them!!

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
Company on eBay called empart. New mirror case for £22.50 available for both long and short arm mirrors. Bought one myself and with a little tinkering was able to change the components from the broken one. Only extra need was some strong plastic adhesive.

Link Removed

Copy and paste link. Sorry don't know any other way.

Trevor

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
If you are going to France just take an eBay obtained spare passenger side mirror, or a recycled glued one like mine (made up from 2 previous kisses). They are easy to fit when you have done it once before. There are some instructions on here in posts. One word of advice do not re-use the chocolate soft torx screws that hold the mirror in, there are a replacement set of shear bolts available from Fiat/ Pugeot dealers, carry and use those instead.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Last month we were going down a 2 lane motorway in france and I clipped my nearside mirror and as in previous posts broke the mirror plastic back housing and it flipped the glass out so as a temp measure got as large a glass as I could find with a roll of double sided tape and I good to go. We have a German A class of a 2007 vintage
On return our return home I asked the agent for a replacement mirror head a couple of days later they came back to me and quoted £1660.00. I think my mirror guards ought to be Securicor ??
Try these people.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back