Free Member
Nov 2, 2014
Burton Hastings
Funster No
MH
rapido
Exp
17yrs
Hi all, has any one had problems after having a can belt changed?
We broke down a week ago today 1 hour from Calais after only driving 250 miles. Mh is back at garage having the head removed, its done 68,000 miles and we had its second cam belt fitted. Yesterday they agreed to do all the work for free, now they are wriggling!!!! They said the drive belt tensioner was plastic??? We said if you had rang us we would have got you to replace the drive belt and tensioner! Any thoughts on what caused the problems would be much appreciated

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Cam or auxiliary belt tensioner?

If it was cam belt why wasnt it replaced with the belt when that was replaced.?
Most likely all tensioner wheels are now plastic on a metal tensioner arm.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Dont let them wriggle too far !.. They should have talked to you and discussed the merits of doing the job.

We WONT fit a timing belt on its own... END OF
Only fit a belt with ALL associated tensioners and if applicable a new water pump. Also, use a quality supplier like Gates etc... never the cheaper less known quality parts.
If the client does not want to do this then there is somewhere else they can go.
Touch wood, we have never had a failure yet in over 30+ years.

Good chance you now have bent valves, broken cam followers and a head that needs to be rebuilt.
As a matter of form we wont refit a cylinder head until we pressure test it and take a couple of thou off on the surface grinder.
Good engineering practice pays in the long run.

Really hope you get sorted out soon and on your way.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
narrowboatjaks

narrowboatjaks

Free Member
Nov 2, 2014
Burton Hastings
Funster No
MH
rapido
Exp
17yrs
We don't know, we are not mechanical, we just paid for mot, service and a new cam belt for peice of mind, not that we got any:cry:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi,
I had Pilote with 2.8 jtd engine Peugeot , took it to the main dealer for cam belt change, not the cheapest option but thought it best be safe. they took it to bits and said that there engineer who was Peugeot trained and had been for the last 15 years etc had not seen a cam belt tensioner of this sort before and they had to order necessary bits to suit plus various other bits, then told OK to collect all done , got there not happy it sounded quite rough more like big commercial diesel ( not that it had previously sounded like a sewing machine before but it def wasn,t that noisy before), and had certain vibrations at odd speed levels when I took it out on test. so they re-adjusted and fitted new pulleys and various belts & adjusters etc still to no avail, they had it in & out of garage over a period of 2 & half months in all. Then as we were booked to go away they said take it & try it, they were confident I would have a trouble free journey,which we did, must say we didn't have any problems ,but it was still a bit growly but I lost all confidence in the motor, so on our return from hols , we then went to Newbury show and traded it in against another , shame she was a cracking moho. I just hope who ever bought here didn't have any problems. Luckily they only charged me the original quote for cam belt change £300, no extra for any of the other work or bits.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back