Fiat Ducato won't start (1 Viewer)

V

vicdicdoc

Deleted User
I've been away to Australia for 4 months leaving my 1997 Fiat Ducato [2.5TD] Hymer in undercover storage, the battery was not holding a charge in a couple of cells so I've replaced it with a new Bosch battery . . . on trying to start it [after nearly 5 months standing], the engine will turn over but won't start.

I have 'bled' the fuel filter but to no avail . . HELP !
[fuel filter is a 'Unipart GFE5304] . . I've bought a new filter but not sure how to fit it & whether it needs 'priming' before fitting [there is no rubber priming 'tit' on the top of the fuel filter housing on this make/model]

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
use some easy start if it works ok .if you have to use it regulary there is a problem . after a long park up its not unusual to have to air start vehicles. cheers alan.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Ive changed my fuel filter on both my ducato based Mhs without priming the fuel filters. (2003 &2006 reg) however I had this problem on my 2003 mitsubishi car when I did not prime the fuel filter. it would not start for love no money, I tried all things to it, (diesel) tow start the lot. Eventually for no reason it started. It ran lumpy for 30seconds or so but never let me down again. Air in the fuel line I believe caused the problem.
would it not start prior to changing the filter or was that something that was done as a consequence of non starting?
Maybe taking it off and priming it all through might clear it all up,
good luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
You will need to bleed/prime the filter, is there no bleed valve on the pump?

If not crack open a couple of the injector pipes to let the air out.

Peter

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
before screwing the filter into place fill it with clean diesel first.

as the TD is a mechanical pump you will probably need to bleed the whole system by 'cracking' open the injector pipe nuts one at a time and there should be a small priming lever on the pump....operate it until fuel flows without air bubbles.
if no level then crank the engine and watch the pipes for fuel.

really glad they invented common rails.

last option would be EASY START into the air filter but engines can become addicted to it and wont start without it.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
these days so many vehicles are self bleeding .i dont know about this one. but as it takes alot of turning over to bleed it easy start wil make it fire up and then it bleeds its self. not to be used daily only as a quickstart now and again . very useful if you run out of diesel on a busy rd. i always have a can handy .
good for starting m,bikes that have been left standing.
on petrol engines sometimes its handy if you can chuck a tablespoon amount into air cleaner to get them going.
i know if you hasve to do it daily then there is a problem, fix it.
dont be afraid to use in emergency though.
cheers alan.

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Trouble starting

Are the heater plugs working try cracking no 1 injector open and turn engine over it should start on the three when it starts lock it up and it should start

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
i would look at the fuel shut off valve,might be sticking pull the connection off with the ignition turned on and strike the connection across the terminal.
listen for a clicking noise if it click's its working.
you will find it on the injector pump.

cheers chris

OP
OP
V

vicdicdoc

Deleted User
As I'm a bit of a numpty, I've got a mechanic coming to fix it tomorrow . . hopefully.
Thanks for your replies I appreciate them but big diesel engines are not my forte & rather than bugger it about I've called an 'expert'
Cheers
vic:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child