Fiat Ducato power loss up hill.

Discussion in 'Base Chassis Section' started by Effilita, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Effilita

Effilita

Hi, I have a Roller Team motor home on a 2014 FIAT Ducato chassis. It has developed a fault whereby when turning on the ignition the warning "check engine" comes on and also the engine block hazard light. The vehicle drives perfectly on the level but substancially loses power when going uphill, hills I used to easily navigate in 4th gear now require me to be in 2nd gear. The vehicle was services by a Fiat garage a few weeks prior this problem arising. I am currently in the Scottish Northern Isles where there are no Fiat agencies so professional help is limited. Any ideas please.

2. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Hi and welcome to the site, straight to the point eh? Very well then, your engine for whatever reason has gone into limp mode, it's a get you home/garage setting.

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

And it goes into 'limp' mode to prevent further damage.
    Any half decent garage, not just fiat, will be able to connect an OBD11 reader and diagnose the fault and possibly clear it to resume normal use.
    Many faults are a one off, just a sensor glitch, and may never come back once cleared.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Steve

Steve Funster Life Member

I will need to be connected to a diagnostic unit to find the problem or you are just guessing.

5. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Or, you could try the 'disconnect battery for five then re-connect and try again'. That sometimes cures it. (y)

6. TerryL

TerryL Funster

Could be a number of things, but as pappajohn says, it needs to be connected to a diagnostic reader of some sort (I've got my own, they're not expensive). Given the age of the vehicle it is most likely a temporary glitch and if so the diagnostic unit can clear it and you're away. This is the problem with modern electronically controlled engines, but heigh ho, that's progress for you.

Tootles posted as I was writing. Sometimes switching engine off, wait a few seconds then restart. Do this five times and it may clear itself - if not you'll need the diagnostics.

7. jtp890

jtp890 Funster

Ive just unplugged egr valve and cleared limp mode

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Better tell Badknee that. He's been limp for years. (y)