Fiat Ducato panel van conversion (1 Viewer)

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Our Fiat Ducato 2003 Timberland Freedom 11 panel van conversion has gone into the Timberland works for a complete respray.

The exterior is in a poor condition, the roof is rusty in places and a lot of the paint has flaked away. The decals have faded and the silver paintwork is very blotchy in many places. This is a common fault with some 2002 to 2006 Fiat Ducato’s.

These pics are two of the rust spots on the roof.
Link Removed

Link Removed

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
:Eeek: Good grief! I would expect that finish on a 25 year old self build transit!

Hope it all comes back ok - looks to me, due to poor application in the first place the way it is flaking away. Looks a real amateur job, really bad when you think that is meant to be professional!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Don is it being done under warranty ? Timberlands or Fiat ?Can not envisage any after 8 yrs
terry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
That's an absolute disgrace Don .. I hope you get it sorted out to your satisfaction ..

do you have any photos of the faded decals and the blotchy paintwork ?

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
8 years is quite along time in the life of a van. I imagine when they build a van for work they might not expect it to last much over 10 years these days.

I would think Dons would have been built from new. How many miles has it done Don and where has it been?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Don Madge

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
I only have myself to blame really.

I knew about the problem in 2005 and I had the roof checked then and it was OK. I checked it again in 2006/7 and it was still OK. I thought I was one of the lucky ones who had got away with it.

I never bothered to check it again until April this year at the Peterborough show. You can see the results on the photos.

The van has done 76,000 miles and has visited most of the EU and eastern Europe. It spent 4 winters in Turkey and got a real pounding in Albania in 2010. Mechanically it is sound and the habitation side is in good nick considering its age. Its only the roof that is the real problem.

Timberland have been very helpful and I'm looking forward to getting the van back in 3/4 weeks.

My little man in the village wanted the job but did not have the expertise to take out the two roof vents, the double glazed side windows and the TV aerial.

Don

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back