Fiat Ducato on board satnav

Discussion in 'GPS Navigation' started by Southampton, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Southampton

Southampton Funster Life Member

Hi, has anybody got a new Fiat Ducato base vehicle with the on board satnav built in? How good is it, what software is it based on? The literature states it covers Western Europe. Does it allow you to input vehicle size I.e height, weight etc... Like the snooper? Any info would be appreciated, picking up a new van soon and just curious what level of satnav it is coming with.

2. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi
    We have the new van, there is like you say a docking station for a Tom Tom a one fit model of the Tom Tom the dealer said they were expensive I just use my Snooper, the only prob with that is you have to take the fitting bracket off the screen to use the blinds, but that's not the biggest job, has for input on the sat nav I can't help I had only just bought the Snooper so I will use that. Pete

3. Southampton

Thanks Pete, I have ordered the 'media pack' and the dealer tells me that it comes with integrated satnav. I am expecting something similar to what you get on cars, built into the console. Maybe I have misunderstood, I will just have to wait and see.

4. WAG2CRU

WAG2CRU Read Only Funster

Fiat based Hymer with built in Pioneer system, the mapping is provided by Navteq who I believe provide the mapping for Tom Tom.

We have found it to be very good compared to Jaguar/Landrover systems.

It will not allow the input of vehicle dimensions but has provision for alerting for any restrictions however, it did try to direct us down a road with a 6'6 width restriction without alerting us to the fact!

Over all, we are very pleased with it but, we have never used Garmin or Tom Tom.

5. peter marshall

peter marshall

May be but mine I got in September has a docking station, my van is a Bessaccar E480 ,media pack on an other brand may be different but I can't see it , what have you treated yourself to. Pete

6. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

Is it not a fact that you cannot input your personalised POIs into an inbuilt satnav?

Steve

7. wilfredes

wilfredes Read Only Funster

I also have the same problem, thank you guys.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Southampton

I have splashed out for a new Autotrail Commanche, collect it next week. Took my Lunar to them yesterday so they can transfer the sat dish. Will be doing a couple of long weekends first to iron out any bugs and then hope to get down to Spain/Portugal late February for a couple of months....Derek

9. Southampton

I guess you are right. So it would be out of date after a year or so. Maybe not such a good idea after all. With cars you can get annual updates, but they cost an arm and a leg. Best keep my Tom Tom.....Derek

10. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

We have a new Autotrail Scout on order and have gone for the media pack.

Not sure what the sat nav system is though. I have seen a 2012 version and that was incorporated into the dashboard if i remember rightly. Didnt see it working though.

11. Southampton

Chris, I was the same, saw it incorporated in dash but not working. I pick mine up on Tuesday so will check it out and let you know.....Derek

• Like Like x 1
  12. WAG2CRU

WAG2CRU Read Only Funster

The pioneer system was described as the media pack on our Hymer, I am sure that I can input POI's and having purchased the first up date, I get free up dates from now on, the unit is built into the dash and does sat nav, rear camera, telephone, music and plays DVD's

see here:http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/25/111/241/AVIC-F40BT/page.html

• Like Like x 1
  13. spannermanwigan

spannermanwigan Read Only Funster

If it breaks it will be far more costly to replace,stick to individual units were the option is available and save the expence. The novelty is not worth it.

It will also be out of date before its out of warranty.

regards
    Steve:thumb:

14. Southampton

Very true, fully aware of that, but the media pack included other items that I wanted. anyway, it will be fun for a time!!....Derek

15. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi
    Sounds nice van , hope everything's ok, and you get away, we are in Spain Jan to July next year so I hope mine behaves its self, ok up to now enjoy. Pete

16. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Autotrail Sat Nav

We bought a Autotrail tracker new in the spring and the Sat Nav in ours is based on the IGO8.

Not a great system, it fails at everything to some degree. Some are difficult to live with.

It's broken once already and the chip that holds the information has had to be replaced.

There are not enough options for route planning so you cannot put in the best route for a motorhome.

The destination inputting is tedious and takes a lot of time.

In Switzerland it often could not find a satellite to talk to we almost exclusively used a map.

Lets put it this way we have already decided that our christmas present to is going to be a snooper. :thumb::thumb: