Fiat Ducato Mirrors

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by injebreck99, Aug 29, 2012.

1. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

I spoke to the owner of Mirrorguard about a replacement cover for my M/H after the tractor incident at the weekend, he said he was out of the country until the 5th September, and that I could buy just one cover.
    He also said that he might have sourced some lower priced complete replacement mirrors from abroad, more news after 5th Sept.!

2. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

3. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

4. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  5. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

6. Gromett

Gromett Funster

It's the first 4. You have to contact them for the price on those. I guess because the price changes a lot.

When I was looking for my mirrors and headlamps they were the cheapest around even beating ebay. As I say worth a call you never know you may save a few quid.

7. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Sorry for being thick but why do you need a new mirrorgaurd? Did it not survive the tractor incident? If not then why bother with them at all? Just wondering.

D.

• Like Like x 2
  8. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

Fiat mirrors

Yes it did get broken, it was a big impact from the tractor's macinery, I did wonder if it was worth renewing it, but then I would have one white and one black mirror, I have been told by other people that the mirrors do stand out more, (more visible), also they could be protected from lesser impacts, branches etc.

9. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

Have a look at truck mirror protectors, then consider the ones on sale for motorhomes.

10. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

" it was a big impact from the tractor's macinery,"

Surely this is what these "protectors" are supposed to protect against? Big impact from a vehicle moving in the opposite direction (doesn't really matter if its heavy farm machinery doing 28MPH or a truck doing 40MPH) or stationary objects on the nearside. If it failed to protect the mirror I wouldn't be looking to buy another protector I'd be looking for my money back, or did I miss something?

D.

• Like Like x 1
  11. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

This was going to be my point, but i held back to save getting rounded on by traders.:RollEyes:

Truck mirror protectors (mirrors can gost in excess of £300) are made of a material stronger than the plastic originals, they are also set AWAY from the mirror by at least 50mm and supported at two points by bolts. They are designed to move the mirror, not break it, in the case of an impact, or...transfer the impact shock to the other object.

I cannot see, how such a protector could be fitted to the plastic moulded mirror set up on most motorhomes. RV's with the metal truck set up could have it, but a steel protector for a ducato for instance, would still only be attached to the plastic arms,...unless of course, you did,nt mind drilling holes in your doors.
    http://www.truckstuff.co.uk/products/stainless-steel-mirror-guards

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  12. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

On the two occasions that I have suffered severe impact-once from a girder on a Loire bridge,which jumped out and hit my nearside mirror-and once from a French white van man who hit the offside mirror,it was not the mirror casing that was damaged,but the bracket that holds the mirror to the arm bolted into the door.Both times the bracket broke and I feel that it would have broken even if I had a guard on there.
    It's expensive enough to replace a mirror,let alone a mirror guard as well-I see no point in them at all.
    Mike.

• Like Like x 1