Fiat Ducato locking system does not recognise doors closed

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Riverbankannie, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie Funster

We have a Fiat Duacto 2015 build PVC. Our problem is that the locking system does not recognise that the doors are shut. It seems to require multiple opening and slamming shut of the doors, front and side and rear.
    This is most annoying to us and to fellow campers when on site late at night, all ready for bed and cannot lock the system. Out we get in the PJs (well himself, not me) and go round slamming the doors again.
    Is this a common problem for Fiats (never had it with VW T4 or any car)?
    Is it something we could get seen to under warranty?

2. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Get it seen to under warranty.

From your post it looks like it's not just one door so unlikely to just be a mucky sensor.

3. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

Not a common problem with fiats ,just seems a problem with your alarm ,contact your dealer and they should help.Hope its not brownbills.lol

• Like Like x 1
  4. aldhp21

aldhp21 Funster

Hi Riverbankannie,

are you sure it is all the doors causing the problem. The reason I say this is we have a PVC and sometimes have an issue with the closing of the main sliding door. It's very difficult to close properly from the inside. Piece of cake from the outside though. It can look as if it's closed properly but the central locking/alarm won't function until it is.

Cheers
    Alan

5. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

We have an Adria Ducato PVC and The build quality is such that the doors sometimes struggle to shut with the inside air pressure.
    If we leave the top vent/s open the problem does not occur.
    Try this or keep slamming.
    Phil

6. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

Isn't it just (difficult from inside). Particularly for my wife who is a diddy (but very cute). But she also has trouble opening from outside unless she is on steps, the van didn't come with automatic steps.

7. aldhp21

aldhp21 Funster

I was talking to another IH owner who has a van identical to ours. I asked him how he got on with the sliding door. "Easy" he said. He fitted a handled in the middle of the inside of the door. This allows him to pull in and slide at the same time and works a treat. I've added this to my ToDo list.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie Funster

Hi everyone, thanks for replies.
    It is not just the sliding door, the rear door is main culprit as well as the cab doors. It means that we have to open and slam all of them as we never know which one. The sliding door can be a problem as well of course due to its weight.
    Would be interested in seeing how you fit your extra handle. Is there enough space so that it doesn't foul when fully opened?
    Ours is IH too by the way but problem with Fiat locking although the alarm cannot be set if the locking system cannot be set.

I think I will ask for it to be checked.

9. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

sounds like a slightly misaligned door contact switch on the sliding door. if the problem is with a front or rear (hinged) door it will be a misaligned or bent pressure switch. all easy enough to adjust

10. Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie Funster

I only find sliding door difficult when on slope - hubby likes to sleep "head up" which means a bit of extra oomph required to open but it closes with extra speed. Luckily I am not diddy !

11. Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie Funster

Good to know, thanks

12. Lot lover

Lot lover Funster

Had a similar prob on one of the sliding doors on a Fiat Doblo car, it kept insisting that it was not shut.

Solved it by superglueing a small piece of felt pad (the sort that goes on the foot of a chair leg) onto the male part of the sensor (in my case it's on the door) and bingo! OK so it only lasted a year but then I did the same again.

I already both some pads and the glue (doesn't everyone?) so minimal cost - maybe worth a try?

13. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

one of the advantage of powered doors, is that they do shut quietly but they also go wrong. Take it back to the dealer or alarm fitter.

14. Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie Funster

Only power is elbow power!

15. Garfields

Garfields Funster

Keep the two tongues on the front edge of the sliding door sprayed with some dry lube and it closes much easyer

16. jo-ca

jo-ca Funster

Or Lowdhams

17. vin0114

vin0114 Funster

Its the rear doors on mine that cause the same problem, I blame the bike rack I fitted but can't see any sign of any sensor or push button fitting to clean or adjust.

18. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We have the 'soft closing' sliding door - you shut it then it does the final pulling-in tight itself so no banging needed, however whilst this works fine we did have a problem with the sensor at the rear of the door - there's a bit that sticks out and if it doesn't make contact sufficiently with the other part it doesn't think it's properly closed hence won't lock etc. I used a small 'blob' on it when waiting for the dealer to fix it, and it did work for a while after they'd adjusted with it, but it occasionally plays up so I keep a supply of blobs with me just in case! I think it sometimes is affected by heat which can make the contact greater/smaller so causing issues at times.

As for the rear doors - you do have to give them a good slam to make sure they shut tightly, I put this down to them having better rubbers on them than earlier Fiats so need more force to squish the rubber to get the door to catch properly, the cab doors can be the same ... you can't be toooooo gentle with them I'm afraid.

19. Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie Funster

A blob of what please?

20. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

A blob .. in my case a little sticky backed felt pad ... only a few mm deep and about 1cm diameter, as it's just what I had already - it's from one of the Pound shop multi-packs of pads of various sizes, meant for the bottom of ornaments, vases, furniture etc.

Similar to these:

[​IMG]