Fiat ducato Interior Courtesy Light Bulb Change (1 Viewer)

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
Trying to get a 12volt feed for my 2007 Autotrail Apace for a dash cam, how do you get into the courtesy light fitting I am hoping there is a live when ignition is on feed in there. Tried getting the cover off but it will not budge and do not want to damage anything.

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
IMG_20170304_123154164.jpg
This is the light I can not get the lens cover off.

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
Just read in the handbook it says cover will come off so its a bigger hammer then!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
See the two little slots at the top of the fitting? Small screwdriver and gently (I said gently) prise as if trying to open a paint tin. Just done it on mine. Be careful if yours dims or has automatic features as I do not know where the controller is located for the voltage control.

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
Yes I could do that I was just trying to avoid running the cable around the screen and up to the top where I was going to fix the dash cam

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
See the two little slots at the top of the fitting? Small screwdriver and gently (I said gently) prise as if trying to open a paint tin. Just done it on mine. Be careful if yours dims or has automatic features as I do not know where the controller is located for the voltage control.
Have tried into that area but nothing seemed to move maybe more force needed

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
If there is no ignition switched live I will have to run cable elsewhere,

The drop down tv screen has been removed on mine I wonder if there is an ignition live point in there?

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
use a jewellers screwdriver (flat) and do one bit by bit, this sits into the surround which is bolted to the inside so you will never move that, It should just pop out

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Suggestions:

a) Protect the surround and lens with some tape, in case of screwdriver slipping

b) Make sure the plastic is fairly warm, as it becomes brittle if cold. Hairdryer? Might make it easier

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
I've recently had my dashcam 'hard wired' by an auto-electrician. I suggested the courtesy light as a 12v source but he preferred to install a USB socket in the top box (the one where you can keep stuff cool) and to run the cable round the windscreen (behind the Remis blinds). He made a good job of it!

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
I've recently had my dashcam 'hard wired' by an auto-electrician. I suggested the courtesy light as a 12v source but he preferred to install a USB socket in the top box (the one where you can keep stuff cool) and to run the cable round the windscreen (behind the Remis blinds). He made a good job of it!
Yes that might be thefinal plan if I can not find an ignition live near the top of the screen

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
Got the light out it all came not just the lens, I found an unused 3 wire cable with a small connector red black and green but my meter is bust at the moment so can not test it I wonder if anyone knows what this wire was intended for and where it runs from?

IMG_20170304_140555675.jpg

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I suspect one is a switched supply (door sensors), one is a permanent supply and the other is earth (negative)

I wouldn't touch any of the wires without a multimeter attached

Might as well put in LED bulbs whilst it is apart

Let us know how it goes, I am going to do the same as yourself

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
I suspect one is a switched supply (door sensors), one is a permanent supply and the other is earth (negative)

I wouldn't touch any of the wires without a multimeter attached

Might as well put in LED bulbs whilst it is apart

Let us know how it goes, I am going to do the same as yourself
The wire I found is not connected to the light it was just loose behind it

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
No answer without a meter on it. We had a reversing camera fitted, which clips over the rear view mirror, and the supply comes from the courtesy light. I presume there may be an accessory power supply there for auto dipping mirrors

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Aug 31, 2015
Norfolk Broads
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt,
Exp
September 2015
Yes I could do that I was just trying to avoid running the cable around the screen and up to the top where I was going to fix the dash cam

Did you have any success picking up a supply from the light? I am looking to do a similar thing.

Thanks

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Did you have any success picking up a supply from the light? I am looking to do a similar thing.

Thanks
There will definitely be NO ignition switched supply to the interior light. Think about it: you can switch it on using its own switch whether the ignition is on or off; it comes on as soon as you open the vehicle door; some types stay on for a while after you leave the vehicle. There isn't any circumstance where its operation is affected by the operation of the ignition switch. I can't imagine why the OP thought there might be an ignition supply to it.

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years

Thanks
No there was no ignition feed behind the light, I was hoping there might be one in the loom but nothing. I also decided that the camera was better down near the dash as the internal blinds gave no room at the top.

Molls-Phot

Free Member
Oct 8, 2009
Lee-on-Solent
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 340
Exp
Since November 2009
I have this problem - the lights not working. The bulbs 'look' okay in that the thin wire seems intact. I believe the fuse is F32 in the engine bay. Had a quick look and it look super awkward to open the fuse box.

Jul 14, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin sp van
Exp
Since 1999
I have this problem - the lights not working. The bulbs 'look' okay in that the thin wire seems intact. I believe the fuse is F32 in the engine bay. Had a quick look and it look super awkward to open the fuse box.
I have just finally removed the courtesy light & found my cable is cut ! Thinking about it the light stopped working after a windscreen was replaced a few months after buying it . I reckon the screen fitters cleaned around the screen with a sharp knife & sliced it. Just had its first fiat service today & the fitter mentioned it not working so thought I'd better have a look. Oh well soldering iron time......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back