Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Hiya,

Which OBD reader and software do you use? Is it laptop based or android/apple or a specific reader?

Cheers David

Mine is a real cheapie.. There are many out there... See Technos thread for more info...

I have one like this. Broken Link Removed
Works on wifi to my ipad / iphone.... with an app from the app store.. Was a free version but cost £10 for the premium version to allow code clearing,,
the Torque app that Techno uses I dont think they do for the ipad/phone..

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Hi Tonka

Which app did you get from the app store please

It's called EOBD-FACILE.. There is a free version and that will get fault codes. You need to pay to remove fault codes. Think it was £10.99 for premium.. I am looking for other apps, Techno recommends that Torque but I dont think it's on app store.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
It's called EOBD-FACILE.. There is a free version and that will get fault codes. You need to pay to remove fault codes. Think it was £10.99 for premium.. I am looking for other apps, Techno recommends that Torque but I dont think it's on app store.

Been reading up on "Novascan", seems to be able to start a forced re-generation of the DPF.. But £15 to buy and no free version to look at... :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
£15 for a selfie forced regen is cheap garage would hit you for at least £60

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
£15 for a selfie forced regen is cheap garage would hit you for at least £60

Oh yes I know that.... (y)
The £10.99 on the other app was worthwhile as I can clear the code and see whats going on..
If it gets to the stage of needing the regen then it will be a wise buy..

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Have you read the review on that app?? Seems like the person hated the app!

Route66

Free Member
Nov 16, 2015
Torquay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome 746 fiat ducato
Exp
Since 1990
Had same problem. 2013 746 roller team on fiat ducato base. Fault showed as PDF blocked and went into "slow" mode. Told was way I had driven it. Not happy, told them its a motorhome and definetly not done short journeys, generally drive above 2500 -3000 rpm for at least 20 mins on motorway and no regeneration light had ever come on. Only done 13000 miles. They had to conceed they were wrong. Found to be faulty sensor. Was told sensor is now modified and the wiring loom needed to be modified. Seems very similar to faults going back to 2009. Are fiat still putting on sensors they know are not up to the job? All this was done on our private warranty as we were 6 months out of fiat warranty. Does ask question, if been modified why not Fiat's responsibility? Was told unless it's safety related fiat are happy to put cost of repairs to the motorist. Really do miss my ford transit travel home with the brilliant 2 litre pinto engine. In 10 years of ownership only had a throttle cable snap. Which I replaced in 10 mins with the spare I carried !

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Cheers... I think i will get one one order and give it a go...
My scanner is only a wifi type and nothing on the software for re-gen, so as you say a hard run may be in order.
Fingers crossed...
If its bad enough even a prolonged run at max revs wont cure it.
It has to then go into the dealers for a computer instigated re-gen with subsequent costs....if that also fails then a new DPF at great cost.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
A couple of businesses that I visit on a regular basis have occasional problems with blocked DPFs on Citroen Relay and Peugeot Boxer vans that are used for local recovery work. They fix them in their workshops by taking them off the vehicles and soaking them in a bath of Coca-Cola overnight, then reverse jetting them with a power washer.

It doesn't help that these vehicles now have a gearchange indicator on the instrument panel, encouraging the driver to change up at fairly low revs and probably preventing regeneration cycles from being started if followed religiously.

rutteger

Free Member
Feb 4, 2016
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Thought I'd pump this up rather than starting a new thread.
Having this issue on our 2012 EU5 Ducato with similar fault codes related to the DPF pressure sensor. Currently has 55210304 fitted. Have checked connection and reset the fault codes a number of times, it was ok for a couple of week (and several 1000 miles) but has now flagged again. As such think a sensor change is the next obvious step.
Has anyone here replaced 55210304 with 51908411? If so did you have to fit a new bracket? Where did you source the connector, assume this will require changing.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
My Fiat is 2007 , would they of been installing them back then ? ,, as sounds like a real head ache

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The outcome for my problem that is mentioned earlier in the thread..
I was clearing the fault but eventually it went to limp mode and almost left me stuck in France. Local garage changed the sensor like for like but not branded as Fiat and was half the price, then reset the ECU ... It's been fine for the past year...

I still have the later version of the DPF sensor that I bought by mistake. So if anyone needs one for £20 let me know.

David F

Free Member
Nov 7, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Dethleff Globus
Exp
Since2009
Had an engine warning light come on for my Fiat Ducato.I contacted the Fiat Motorhome helpline and was told to have a diagnostic check done at an approved Fiat service dealer. I did this at the cost of£96.00 and was told that it was the DFP sensor or maybe the whole DPF system. The minimum cost would be £562.00 and possibly a lot more if it was not just the sensor. I was also advised that I should not drive the vehicle. When I pointed out that the handbook said that the vehicle could still be driven they insisted that we should not drive it. In other words we were a captive audience and they could effect a repair at some indeterminate cost!
I took the vehicle home and contacted Fiat motor homes help line and explained the situation. I felt that a vehicle that was only three and a half years old with only 14000 on the clock should not have these sort of problems.
The vehicle has been serviced by a Fiat dealer but is now of course out of warranty.
Fiat motorhome shaved requested the dealer to put in a goodwill request to effect a repair. So far they have not responded and we still await the outcome.
Not enamoured with either the dealership or at the moment Fiat Motorhome help as they have not got back to us when promised.
Meanwhile the vehicle cannot be used for its purpose as a Motorhome!
David F

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Had an engine warning light come on for my Fiat Ducato.I contacted the Fiat Motorhome helpline and was told to have a diagnostic check done at an approved Fiat service dealer. I did this at the cost of£96.00 and was told that it was the DFP sensor or maybe the whole DPF system. The minimum cost would be £562.00 and possibly a lot more if it was not just the sensor. I was also advised that I should not drive the vehicle. When I pointed out that the handbook said that the vehicle could still be driven they insisted that we should not drive it. In other words we were a captive audience and they could effect a repair at some indeterminate cost!
I took the vehicle home and contacted Fiat motor homes help line and explained the situation. I felt that a vehicle that was only three and a half years old with only 14000 on the clock should not have these sort of problems.
The vehicle has been serviced by a Fiat dealer but is now of course out of warranty.
Fiat motorhome shaved requested the dealer to put in a goodwill request to effect a repair. So far they have not responded and we still await the outcome.
Not enamoured with either the dealership or at the moment Fiat Motorhome help as they have not got back to us when promised.
Meanwhile the vehicle cannot be used for its purpose as a Motorhome!
David F

Buy your own OBD reader, lots of info on here about them.. From less that £10 on ebay and get apps for your phone / tablet..
My local garage sorted the issue for me.. New sensor, software etc for £150 ish...
If it's out of warranty I doubt you will get very far.. Go anywhere on the internet and type in EGR or DPF.. It's full of issues on lots of vehicles...

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Nope I agree , BUT having said that if I won the lottery I sure as hell would not hesitate to buy a brand new MH :)

rutteger

Free Member
Feb 4, 2016
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Just to follow this up.

Only just got round to sorting this issue, the MH hasn't been far recently.

Ended up sourcing a direct replacement sensor from China > Link Removed which worked out approx £140 less than the fiat main dealer. Simple job to pull the old one and replace. Looking at the DPF delta pressure reading in multiecuscan the new sensor gives a plausible reading unlike the failed unit. Will keep an eye on the DPF over the next few outing to ensure it regenerates as expected.

Did intend to fit the new Bosch sensor from Tonka, however based on the extra bits required to fit, a throwaway comment on another forum about a new ECU software and lack of sensor spec sheets went with a direct replacement. If anyone would like to purchase the updated Bosch item at a reduced rate please drop me a PM.

As inconvenient as DPF, EGR and other emission control system can prove ultimately they are fitted for a reason.

CardiffMH

Free Member
Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
Hi all
Sorry to revive this old thread. I've just bought a 2013 ducato based mh. After about 200 miles the check engine light came on and stayed on for our whole holiday. No loss of performance. The van has only done 10k miles since new so I don't believe there is any issue with the dpf. I have pulled the fault codes, they are p2454-29 and p1205-21. The first is the sensor signal and the second the pressure. This to me points squarely at the sensor being the issue. I cant get a clear image of it but am 99.9% sure it's 55210304 from the range of images i took.

@rutteger is that Chinese part still working? I guess i can try that or the bosch one!

Any other views on my issue or if I've misinterpreted the codes?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
@rutteger
CardiffMH I have tagged Rutteger for you so an answer may follow..
Been so long since I had my original issue.

CardiffMH

Free Member
Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
Thanks v much. Will have to work out how tp do that! :)

rutteger

Free Member
Feb 4, 2016
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Hi,
The Chinese replacement sensor works mostly fine after 18 months. During the first few months the engine light came on occasionally, ended up just clearing the codes as a matter of course. Looking through multiecuscan there is a diagnostic routine relating to dpf sensor replacement - did not run this at the time. Touchwood no engine light related to dpf for a few months, just other faults...

CardiffMH

Free Member
Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
Thanks. I ordered one and will give it a go. On a related note, the pipe clips on the sensor are foreign to me, do you know how they release?

rutteger

Free Member
Feb 4, 2016
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Don’t recall anything special, maybe just a set of needle nose pliers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back