Fiat Ducato Clutch

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by dave2222001, Aug 12, 2013.

1. dave2222001

dave2222001 Read Only Funster

Well I am reading with despair the various threads around the net on the Fiat Ducato Clutch and Drive juddering problems . Having just purchased a N+B 3 liter 6 gear model Circa 2008 (the virtual top of the tree for concern) and am already replacing the clutch due to a couple of smoking incidents (clutch not ciggie related) And having experienced said judder in reverse and 1st on wet grass slight incline or loose gravel (not an unusual obstacle) I wonder is there anyone out there with similar running gear who is happy with the performance they get from there van. By the way I've only covered 1000 or so miles (on top of 18500 when purchased) But hope to cover many many more with extensive travels So hows it likely too pan out I am not a Motorway kind of person,

2. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

i have a 2008 3.0l manual too, and as mentioned have replaced a clutch when it catastrophically failed (as the garage said because it shattered). other than minor mechanical issues, I've been very happy with the van. smooth to drive with tonnes of power

don't let the horror stories put you off enjoying your van :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  3. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

My last van was a 3ltr of roughly that era. When I changed it nothing had failed (at about 25000 miles) but I was no longer confident of the clutch lasting much longer.

The issue was that reverse was very very high, therefore getting onto pitches etc needed a lot of clutch slipping - and a couple of times when traffic forced uphill reverses I finished up with the clutch smelling severely.

Other than that the van was a delight to drive.

When I swapped in 2011 I went for the 2.3 engine. Less powerful, but lighter, powerful enough and £2000 cheaper! Also reverse gear is much lower, and no longer do I have issues reversing onto pitches etc. (May of course be that the latest 3ltrs also have lower reverses, I don't know)

4. dave2222001

dave2222001 Read Only Funster

Clutch advice

Thanks there folks Been overdosing on long threads on various notice boards and got a bit depressed yes apart from the clutch judder I guess it is pretty nice to drive, Mind its a big if but hell I will just get on and enjoy it.
    Thanks again

5. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

after reading all the threads about gearboxes underfilled i was thinking i should check mine but cant see where to check from or fill from?