Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
anyone had there timing belt fitted lately I'm looking for a average price as a guide before I phone round also would you change the water pump at 25k mileage.i had it booked in to day at our local dealer who quoted £508.00 when I got there they said they missed quoted me and it would be £638.00 they said that didn't include water pump and that at that mileage I didn't need to change it I wasn't happy with that and spoke to the manager who then said they would do the pump at cost he phoned me back and said that the pump would be £340.00 I told them to leave it and would get other quotes first .so any help form you guys would be of great help
Thanks in anticipation
Tc

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I have the 2006 2.8JTD Fiat Ducato :)

Had my cambelt, water pump and brake fluid change done at the same time. Bill was under £500, but was some 19 months ago.

Your quote does seem quite high. Cambelts aren't that expensive, but can't quote for a water pump.

Hope you find a decent, honest local garage to use and get a cracking service too....good luck :)

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Had mine done last year,
I had a pump fitted as well, although nothing wrong could be seen with the old unit, make sure you get a timing belt kit fitted, the pulleys etc should be changed as well.
The genuine Fiat pumps are very expensive and they are very big, I used an aftermarket one, much more reasonably priced.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
I would find a garage that was happy to fit your parts.
Take this kit with you - Gates are the best you can buy..

Garages are quite happy to do this sort of work when the customers supplies the parts because it means they have absolutely no liability if a problem occurs

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Garages are quite happy to do this sort of work when the customers supplies the parts because it means they have absolutely no liability if a problem occurs

What about if it is a fitting error that causes the problem.! It happens, frequently.
I supplied my own parts when my belt/pump was changed as I am able to source parts at trade prices, the parts came from the same source as the garage gets them from anyway, the country garage I use is well respected in our area as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
I think most, if not all, garages would blame any fault on a faulty part rather than admit to a fitting error. I imagine it would be extremely costly to pay for an independent inspection to determine who was responsible for the failure and it would mean the vehicle being off the road for some considerable time until the dispute was resolved.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Looking at the prices above you could have the job done twice! and still come out on top. Garage spare parts prices are almost always a rip off and I have many experiences to be able to substantiate that.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back