fiat ducato 2007 cold start problems (1 Viewer)

georgie boy

Free Member
Nov 6, 2010
liverpool
Funster No
MH
Concorde charisma
Exp
Hi all just seeing if anyone can help me regarding my fiat ducato motorhome. the problem is had engine management lights coming on telling me problem with the glow plugs and also throttle control valve ect. went to a local garage and found out two of my glow plugs had been broken. so had to go to a engineer in Preston to have the glow plugs drilled out which went well thank God. decided to have 4 new glow plugs fitted while he was doing the job. and also had the throttle control valve replaced also. when the job was done he plugged the engine up to the machine which detects all the problems and a presto all engine management problems went of and the van was running fine again. the main problem was always starting the van in the morning used to turn over for long time before it would fire up but once started it would start all day long on the first turn of the key. but as soon as I left the van overnight it would be the same problem next morning turning over and over again until it fired up. after having the glow plugs ect changed it started to fire up first turn of the key. for about 4 days but now it has gone back to lazy starting again every morning, and there is no engine management lights coming up on the dashboard. running out of ideas anyone had the same problem or any advise please.
Regards George

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Is your battery unable to retain charge overnight thus causing luck of cranking power which then ratifies itself after a run and a change from the alternator so it starts easily during the dy but then looses charge again overnight. Its probably worth getting the battery tested, at least you could discount that if its ok or replace it off not.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I had the same problem, first start in the morning it used to turn for ages before it would fire and then would start with a cloud of smoke, rest of the day it would start first turn of the key. It turned out to be the battery, although it didn't sound like it was struggling, replaced that and everything was fine

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tinkering

Free Member
Feb 25, 2009
dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1972
Simple test
You need a multimeter
And a friend
Set the meter to 12volts connect the + lead to the power wire on the top of the heater plug... Connect the - lead to earth the engine block

Get your friend to turn the ignition on (not trying to start the engine) you should get a volt reading no reading. no power New heater plugs will not work

May 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato 250
Hi Georgie Boy! I have a Ducato 2014 115 multijet with exactly the same problems starting! Did you figure out what it was!
I’m in Canada with my van so mechanics have very little experience with these types of vehicles!
Any help is much appreciated

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi Georgie Boy! I have a Ducato 2014 115 multijet with exactly the same problems starting! Did you figure out what it was!
I’m in Canada with my van so mechanics have very little experience with these types of vehicles!
Any help is much appreciated
It's a 7 year old thread and he is no longer a paid up member so he can't reply.

May 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato 250
Hi chazzer! I put a new battery in about a month ago!
I got 3/4 good morning starts and then it went back to struggling 🤔

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back