Fiat Ducato 2004 Horn Problem (1 Viewer)

Oct 3, 2014
Llanelli, Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido 891F A Class
Exp
Since 2014
I have got a problem with the horn it used to work now and again but has now stopped working altogether anybody else had this problem also any idea where the horn is located before I start pulling things apart.

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
this may help

If you can get on your back underneath the front nearside, wing look up to where the back of the headlamp is, and you will see the horn mounted about 6" below the headlamp, there should be two terminal connectors on it, if my memory serves me right one is red/black the other is white/black, the horn works on an earth return system.

Greytop

Free Member
Jul 9, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hyner Swing 544
Exp
On and off since 1985
I had this exact same problem. Intermittent horn problem and then stopping altogether. It was not the horn at all but a well known problem on these models (mine is a 2002 model) The problem needs the removal of the steering wheel and the cleaning or rplacement of contact bushes that connect from the steering wheel horn button through the steering wheel column. It is not a hard job, but there again I had mine repaired by a garage on a service, it took 30mins labour.
You may well find that if you turn the steering wheel from side to side slowly you will find that at some points the horn will actually work again. This will also confirm that the problem is as I describe.

http://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/353025-horn-repair-indicator-cancelling-steering-wheel-removal.html

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
yep i have just fixed the same problem and it was as greytop says the contact below the steering wheel that was at fault. a simple diy fix on the older ducatos but a bit more complicated if your model has a airbag fitted and you are not used to the removal procedure .

Aug 23, 2012
Corton, Lowestoft
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
10 years m/h, plus 15 years caravan......
My horn has the same problem (94 Ducaco) I have bought a rocker type horn switch & was going to overide the steering wheel button, does anyone know what wires I need to get into on the column?
Thanks in advance.

Aug 23, 2012
Corton, Lowestoft
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
10 years m/h, plus 15 years caravan......
Just spotted Greytop's post, will have a look see, failing that, i will just find another feed & put the air horns that I have just purchased on.
Thanks for the info & the link Greytop.
:)

OP
OP
Shandyman
Oct 3, 2014
Llanelli, Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido 891F A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks for all your replies have had the horn cover off and all looks to be clean I shall investigate further tomorrow.

Richard

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
on mine, after i had [ first marked on the splines to keep centralised] and removed the steering wheel.i turned it over and cleaned the brass contact ring with emery paper and i also center punched the rivet that affixes the earth return wire . works perfectly now. regards garry

OP
OP
Shandyman
Oct 3, 2014
Llanelli, Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido 891F A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Just been for an MOT and believe it or not the horn worked every time but thanks for the replies and advice I shall bear it in mind for when it goes again.

Richard

Greytop

Free Member
Jul 9, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hyner Swing 544
Exp
On and off since 1985
Just been for an MOT and believe it or not the horn worked every time but thanks for the replies and advice I shall bear it in mind for when it goes again.

I am sure it will go wrong again, just drive it around the block and I am sure you will find it so. It often depends in what position the steering wheel is in at a given time.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The fault could easily be the horn itself. If (when!) the contacts inside the horn become worn or dirty it will fail intermittently. Any vibration (or a good thump) will start it working - until the next time. It's worth giving it a sharp tap whilst someone holds the horn push down next time it fails just to see if it is the horn that's failing. There's an adjuster on top & screwing it in until the horn stops then out for loudest note usually fixes things for quite a while.

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
Fixed mine for a fiver. got a new horn from a scrapper and changed it job done.
Just put tester across terminals on horn and make sure there's power there before spending all that money first

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
I had the same problem, it turned out after much fassing about, to be the spade connectors to the horn were corroded, WD 40 please

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back