Fiat Ducato 2004 Horn Problem

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Shandyman, May 26, 2015.

1. Shandyman

Shandyman Funster

I have got a problem with the horn it used to work now and again but has now stopped working altogether anybody else had this problem also any idea where the horn is located before I start pulling things apart.

2. SandJ

SandJ Read Only Funster

this may help

If you can get on your back underneath the front nearside, wing look up to where the back of the headlamp is, and you will see the horn mounted about 6" below the headlamp, there should be two terminal connectors on it, if my memory serves me right one is red/black the other is white/black, the horn works on an earth return system.

3. Greytop

Greytop Funster

I had this exact same problem. Intermittent horn problem and then stopping altogether. It was not the horn at all but a well known problem on these models (mine is a 2002 model) The problem needs the removal of the steering wheel and the cleaning or rplacement of contact bushes that connect from the steering wheel horn button through the steering wheel column. It is not a hard job, but there again I had mine repaired by a garage on a service, it took 30mins labour.
    You may well find that if you turn the steering wheel from side to side slowly you will find that at some points the horn will actually work again. This will also confirm that the problem is as I describe.

http://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/353025-horn-repair-indicator-cancelling-steering-wheel-removal.html

Last edited: May 26, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  4. greyman1

greyman1 Read Only Funster

yep i have just fixed the same problem and it was as greytop says the contact below the steering wheel that was at fault. a simple diy fix on the older ducatos but a bit more complicated if your model has a airbag fitted and you are not used to the removal procedure .

5. Deg3y

Deg3y Funster

My horn has the same problem (94 Ducaco) I have bought a rocker type horn switch & was going to overide the steering wheel button, does anyone know what wires I need to get into on the column?
    Thanks in advance.

6. Deg3y

Deg3y Funster

Just spotted Greytop's post, will have a look see, failing that, i will just find another feed & put the air horns that I have just purchased on.
    Thanks for the info & the link Greytop.
    :)

7. Shandyman

Shandyman Funster

Thanks for all your replies have had the horn cover off and all looks to be clean I shall investigate further tomorrow.

Richard

8. greyman1

greyman1 Read Only Funster

on mine, after i had [ first marked on the splines to keep centralised] and removed the steering wheel.i turned it over and cleaned the brass contact ring with emery paper and i also center punched the rivet that affixes the earth return wire . works perfectly now. regards garry

9. Shandyman

Shandyman Funster

Just been for an MOT and believe it or not the horn worked every time but thanks for the replies and advice I shall bear it in mind for when it goes again.

Richard

10. Greytop

Greytop Funster

I am sure it will go wrong again, just drive it around the block and I am sure you will find it so. It often depends in what position the steering wheel is in at a given time.

• Like Like x 1
  11. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

The fault could easily be the horn itself. If (when!) the contacts inside the horn become worn or dirty it will fail intermittently. Any vibration (or a good thump) will start it working - until the next time. It's worth giving it a sharp tap whilst someone holds the horn push down next time it fails just to see if it is the horn that's failing. There's an adjuster on top & screwing it in until the horn stops then out for loudest note usually fixes things for quite a while.

12. vectian

vectian Funster

Fixed mine for a fiver. got a new horn from a scrapper and changed it job done.
    Just put tester across terminals on horn and make sure there's power there before spending all that money first

13. chrisboyo

chrisboyo Funster

I had the same problem, it turned out after much fassing about, to be the spade connectors to the horn were corroded, WD 40 please