Fiat Ducato 07 has developed a high pitched whine (1 Viewer)

Graham and Jane

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2014
Grangemouth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
I took our van to local Fiat garage as we have a horrible high pitched whine while we are driving. Mechanic looked over the van and has said the whine is coming from the fuse box in habitation area, anyone had this or any ideas how to solve this. Its driving me bonkers. To make matters worse I suffer from Tinitus and the whine is just at the right pitch to set it all off.

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
I had the same sort of noise, but it only seems to start when the wife gets in!!:) Seriously though I had "a"noise that stopped when the fridge stopped working on 12v, I'll have to have it checked out this week.

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
Don't see why a fuse box should make any noise. Check it is that by taking off the live feed to it and see if it still does it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bobndebs McKay

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Bali for the Winter!! Back in Feb 2016
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 FMSE
Exp
5 months travelling Through France, Spain, Portugal, Germany and Holland as a Full timer in our firs
I would not be happy if I had a whine coming from a Fuse Box, its never clever if electricity is making a noise!! It may be in the region of, but more likely to be coming from something "mechanical". Let us know when you cure it!! You have my sympathy with the Tinitus btw, I suffer too and certain levels absolutely do my head in!!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Deleted due to not reading OP correctly :doh:
Where abouts is the fuse box exactly?
How did the mechanic establish this? was one driving while another walked around

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
My Hymer developed a high pitch whine in the middle of a trip to Spain a couple of years ago. Really worried me as I thought it was a mechanical problem. Then noticed a bell like symbol on the control panel and traced it to the step alarm. Messed with the step and eventually it went away.

It started again yesterday returning to storage. When the weather improves I will get underneath and take off the step control to sort it out.

Mike

Reactions: f6c

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
Difficult, could be anything from Audio system to Alternator to Mechanical, as with most diagnoses disconnect or switch off one system at a time till it stops.

Camshaft

Free Member
Nov 8, 2014
Wirral, Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Scout
Exp
since 2000
I took our van to local Fiat garage as we have a horrible high pitched whine while we are driving. Mechanic looked over the van and has said the whine is coming from the fuse box in habitation area, anyone had this or any ideas how to solve this. Its driving me bonkers. To make matters worse I suffer from Tinitus and the whine is just at the right pitch to set it all off.
whining = fan belt, cam belt, transmission or clutch thrust bearing. Have you tried someone else listening in area of noise while you are driving to pinpoint the noise?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
It must be something behind the fuse box.....Inverter unit maybe? Or the fridge relay??

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I was being driven mad by a low buzzing noise that turned out to be the step warning buzzer going at a lower rate because of water on the wiring or switch. It never went off just kept going at a low volume that was really getting annoying, the buzzer went off normally when the step was down but the buzzing returned when the step was up. It dried out after a time and stopped going. I still do not know exactly where it was caused. I could not get to the buzzer as it was behind the heater unit and covered by loads of bits.

OP
OP
Graham and Jane

Graham and Jane

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2014
Grangemouth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
Thank you all for your replies. Van is going to local dealers to get them to check the step as we do have problems with it sometimes. As we are away on Friday don't have time to check it out myself. Will let you know how we get on.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I am SERIOUS !! There is a high "pitched whine" alarm "thingy" that goes off if the fridge is on the mains selection and you drive away without changing the selection over.
I'm not bloody talking to you lot now !!!! :cry:

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
i had this on my bessy e745 there is little speaker in where boiler is situated, pulled little spade end off no sreetching now,still dont know what it was

OP
OP
Graham and Jane

Graham and Jane

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2014
Grangemouth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
Thank you everyone, just back from dealers. The whine was from the step. It is a warning alarm to let us know that the step has not retracted enough to contact the sensor. He has put a rubber stopper on the step and hey presto no more whine.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Ah Foort sooh!
All I have to do now it crawl under mine and check it is not still full of water, so that it doesn't start again.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thank you everyone, just back from dealers. The whine was from the step. It is a warning alarm to let us know that the step has not retracted enough to contact the sensor. He has put a rubber stopper on the step and hey presto no more whine.
So instead of finding and correcting the reason why it wasnt retracting enough they simply made it reach by fitting an extension piece.

In the same vane.....if your tap wont turn completely off they will turn it off wih a pipe wrench.

OP
OP
Graham and Jane

Graham and Jane

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2014
Grangemouth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
In fairness of the dealer I did not buy from them and they are neither swift or fiat dealerships, they did not charge me. They offered me a simple solution to an immediate problem enabling me to get away in two days. I thank them for what I feel was on their part good customer service.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back