Fiat Ducato 07 has developed a high pitched whine

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Graham and Jane, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Graham and Jane

Graham and Jane Funster Life Member

I took our van to local Fiat garage as we have a horrible high pitched whine while we are driving. Mechanic looked over the van and has said the whine is coming from the fuse box in habitation area, anyone had this or any ideas how to solve this. Its driving me bonkers. To make matters worse I suffer from Tinitus and the whine is just at the right pitch to set it all off.

2. Frentchy

Frentchy Funster

I had the same sort of noise, but it only seems to start when the wife gets in!!:) Seriously though I had "a"noise that stopped when the fridge stopped working on 12v, I'll have to have it checked out this week.

• Like Like x 2
  3. vectian

vectian Funster

Don't see why a fuse box should make any noise. Check it is that by taking off the live feed to it and see if it still does it

4. Bobndebs McKay

Bobndebs McKay

I would not be happy if I had a whine coming from a Fuse Box, its never clever if electricity is making a noise!! It may be in the region of, but more likely to be coming from something "mechanical". Let us know when you cure it!! You have my sympathy with the Tinitus btw, I suffer too and certain levels absolutely do my head in!!

5. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Deleted due to not reading OP correctly :doh:
    Where abouts is the fuse box exactly?
    How did the mechanic establish this? was one driving while another walked around

6. Xabia

Xabia Funster

My Hymer developed a high pitch whine in the middle of a trip to Spain a couple of years ago. Really worried me as I thought it was a mechanical problem. Then noticed a bell like symbol on the control panel and traced it to the step alarm. Messed with the step and eventually it went away.

It started again yesterday returning to storage. When the weather improves I will get underneath and take off the step control to sort it out.

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bluestar

Bluestar Funster

Difficult, could be anything from Audio system to Alternator to Mechanical, as with most diagnoses disconnect or switch off one system at a time till it stops.

8. Camshaft

Camshaft Read Only Funster

whining = fan belt, cam belt, transmission or clutch thrust bearing. Have you tried someone else listening in area of noise while you are driving to pinpoint the noise?

9. Tootles

Tootles Funster

It must be something behind the fuse box.....Inverter unit maybe? Or the fridge relay??

10. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

I was being driven mad by a low buzzing noise that turned out to be the step warning buzzer going at a lower rate because of water on the wiring or switch. It never went off just kept going at a low volume that was really getting annoying, the buzzer went off normally when the step was down but the buzzing returned when the step was up. It dried out after a time and stopped going. I still do not know exactly where it was caused. I could not get to the buzzer as it was behind the heater unit and covered by loads of bits.

11. Graham and Jane

Thank you all for your replies. Van is going to local dealers to get them to check the step as we do have problems with it sometimes. As we are away on Friday don't have time to check it out myself. Will let you know how we get on.

12. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Hi GrahamX... Its the fridge !!!! The door is not shut properly !!!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

I am SERIOUS !! There is a high "pitched whine" alarm "thingy" that goes off if the fridge is on the mains selection and you drive away without changing the selection over.
    I'm not bloody talking to you lot now !!!! :cry:

14. stephen harwood

stephen harwood Funster

i had this on my bessy e745 there is little speaker in where boiler is situated, pulled little spade end off no sreetching now,still dont know what it was

• Like Like x 1
  15. Graham and Jane

Thank you everyone, just back from dealers. The whine was from the step. It is a warning alarm to let us know that the step has not retracted enough to contact the sensor. He has put a rubber stopper on the step and hey presto no more whine.

• Like Like x 2
  16. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

Ah Foort sooh!
    All I have to do now it crawl under mine and check it is not still full of water, so that it doesn't start again.

17. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

So instead of finding and correcting the reason why it wasnt retracting enough they simply made it reach by fitting an extension piece.

In the same vane.....if your tap wont turn completely off they will turn it off wih a pipe wrench.

• Like Like x 2
  18. stephen harwood

stephen harwood Funster

Bigger the dealer worse it gets

19. Graham and Jane

In fairness of the dealer I did not buy from them and they are neither swift or fiat dealerships, they did not charge me. They offered me a simple solution to an immediate problem enabling me to get away in two days. I thank them for what I feel was on their part good customer service.

• Like Like x 5