FIAT COMFORTMATIC GEARBOX

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by mfh27748, Aug 7, 2014.

1. mfh27748

mfh27748 Read Only Funster

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE GEARBOX IN A 2008 3500Kg CHASSIS WOULD BE THE SAME AS
    a 2014 4250kg AS SOFAR I HAVE FOUND THE NEW ONE SLOW BY COMPARISON?.

2. aba

aba

It may have slightly lower ratios due to the extra weight capacity.
    the engine output power will be slightly higher in the 2014 from the equivalent engine size of 2008 although it will have more emissions control stuff on it.
    The up side to lower ratios is less chance of the old reverse judder occurring.
    But basically if you are comparing a 3 litre of 2008 to a brand new 2014 3 litre the new one should be better but the gearbox will more or less be the same.

3. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

If it is the comfortmatic (as in the title of the thread) it won't have judder in reverse anyway.
    That only occurs with the manual box. (y)

4. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Since 2010 I believe that a modified 2.3lt gearbox has been fitted due to problems with those before then (juddergate etc) therefore it could be that the 3lt one was also 'improved' as well.

Don't forget that you are pulling a heavier vehicle and if you use the whole available payload it means that you're moving 4250kg which is 21% MORE than the 3500kg one, therefore I'm not surprised that the newer one would be slower, also due to the changes that have been made regarding emissions for new engines this may also have some effect on the power/torque.

5. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Mines a 3ltr 2011 manual model.
    It judders.

6. jezport

jezport Funster

Fiat still say the 3.0ltr has no problems. That's why I bought an older 2.8jtd

7. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

I think they are in denial.

It judders. o_O

8. WAG2CRU

WAG2CRU Read Only Funster

If the op means that the actual changes are slower, I think I read somewhere that the auto box for 2014 is different in the way that it changes gears.

9. rolandrat

rolandrat Funster

My IH is a 3 ltr with a Comfortmatic gearbox and runs faultless. It's a pleasure to drive. Nearly all commercial vehicles are now fitted with robotic clutch gearboxes and for me the Volvos lead the way. Some years ago I had a bad experience with a Merc EPS gearbox, "Electro Pneumatic Shift" but the gremlin was eventually resolved. I think there might be the odd manufacturer who still puts Torque converter gearboxes in but not in heavy commercial vehicles.
    As far as the power output of the 3 Ltr 160 is concerned, in a motorhome it's like a prancing horse. I've heard that the 2.3Ltr 150 is nothing like the 3 Ltr in Comfortmatic form and by comparison is sluggish.
    I think I've mentioned previously the high mileages that are done with 3 Ltr Comfortmatic gearboxes in Ambulances that are on the roads 24/7. They are doing a minimum of 250,000 miles, obviously serviced on a regular basis, the clutches are doing a minimum of 75,000 miles, some many more, before they need replacing. This information was given to me by the service manager at Walton Truck Services, Bamber Bridge, Preston.
    If anyone has any doubts about buying a Comfortmatic then all I would say is it's unfounded.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Detnor

Detnor Funster

I spent this morning at a dealers looking at 3ltr mercedes automatics , the sales staff were favouring the 'torque convertor' EPS box over the 7G tronic, claiming the EPS to be a 'proper automatic' . Just getting back and reading the comments above, I think I need to do more research......:rolleyes:

11. ABZSteve

ABZSteve Funster

I recently hired a swift escape 624 with a manual 2.2Ltr engined and it performed really well.

I am planning to buy a new van with a Comfortmatic gearbox. It will be a 2.3Ltr-130 Multijet pulling 3500kg. Will there be any issues with respect to pulling power?

12. Movinon

Movinon Funster

I have a 2.3 150 Comfortmatic pulling less than 3500kg. Goes OK. I'm quite happy with it. However, 1st to 2nd can be quite slow and its best to rev up in 1st. A previous Ford 2.4 I owned was the same. Trouble is, the gearbox likes to change up to 2nd early on, leaving a considerable power gap. I sometimes choose to pull away in manual from rest, especially on hillstarts. Another irritation is that the manual change works in the opposite direction to my car's DSG box. So it's forward to shift down.

13. ABZSteve

ABZSteve Funster

Know what you mean, I have had various autos with up/down and sideways. I try to stay in auto now for that reason because I have two cars with different auto boxes; don't get me started on windscreen wipers, lights and cruise control :rolleyes: I guess I will be on a learning curve of where and when it's best to use manual or "auto".

cheers (y)

14. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ah, but what YEAR was the base chassis actually built? It could be an older base which was converted and registered in 2011.

15. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

It is 2011 and was registered in 2012 when I bought it.
    Had the chassis date confirmed by North East Truck and Van (Iveco main dealers) when it went in to have a check on why it juddered in reverse (y)

16. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

The comfortmatic is essentially a manual gearbox with hydraulic rams changing gear and operating the clutch so there are no losses of the sort you get with a torque converter automatic.

• Like Like x 1
  17. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

that is why I chose the comfortmatic up to now its been excellent

18. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

We all make mistakes. See my signature below. :whistle2:

19. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

sorry it was not meant to be sarcastic I was worried about the reports at the time and IH advised me to pay the extra and I would be pleased I have to reverse up a slope within a small gap and it does that with ease

20. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

I didn't think that you were being sarcastic at all. :)
    Just offering your opinion, and as it happens, you were correct.
    If I was ever in the position to be able to buy another MH that is the option I would choose. (y)

• Like Like x 1