Dec 3, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
Hi,

I had a test drive in a 2010 auto-trail based on 3litre Fiat Ducato fitted with a Fiat confortmatic auto gearbox.

I noticed a bit of a lag between going from 1st to 2nd gear, it feels as if the van is almost stopping before picking up in 2nd gear. makes you lurch a bit in your seat.

Does anyone have a motorhome fitted with this gearbox, is it a "feature" of this unit or is it to do with driving technique. ?

All feed back greatly appreciated.

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I have the same engine and box, and yes there is a bit of a lag between 1st an 2nd but you soon get used to it. There was a previous thread a while ago on this but can't find it now. We have covered 6K miles this year and it is a great engine, no problems at all.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Yes, we have the same engine and gearbox and it is indeed a "feature" of the 'box. You just have to get used to it but it isn't really a problem - you do need to be aware of it at say roundabouts because if you want to pull out into a gap you can be caught out.

The answer is to chill out, slow down and not be in such a hurry - it is a motorhome after all and meant to be used for holidays!

The Merc autoboxes are much better in this respect but the vehicles are much more expensive and you will get worse fuel economy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

autosleepers

Free Member
Dec 3, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
Thanks Both,

This has put my mind at rest, at least now I know that there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the motorhome.

Does this lag still occur if you use the manual option?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Yes in my experience. I guess it is partly due to the time it takes for the engine to slow down and the difference in ratio between 1st and 2nd - but that's only a guess.

Last edited:

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Brilliant gearbox, the only thing missing is an exhaust brake. I've been driving an Automatic 44 ton HGV Daff recently with the same system, totally faultless. These types of gearboxes run thousands of miles trouble free. Once over haulage contractors usually specified manual gearboxes in their trucks, not anymore, they now specify automatics.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
As above comments fantastic box and engine.
You have to remember its nt automatic but a manual automatically changed.

Mel

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I am very pleased with our vehicle - good fuel economy and I can keep both hands on the wheel through twisty roads etc and fully concentrate on driving. I chose it despite some critical comments by the Which? test team who seem to fall into the trap of "it's not what I'm used to and I don't like it".

When the Army got its new MAN trucks there was adverse comment about the automated gearboxes they were fitted with, particularly when say driving cross-country and meeting a sudden steep incline. The gearbox can't anticipate the need to change down and was sometimes caught out but the answer as they say was driver training. In a few circumstances you may have to change down manually to make best progress but this is not normally required on the road.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks Both,

This has put my mind at rest, at least now I know that there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the motorhome.

Does this lag still occur if you use the manual option?

In answer to a bit of lag yes the manual is very similar more so on the Euro 5

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Ive got the same auto box.............never noticed any lag.....I think it's a superb drive. However I do drive it gently........next time I'll look out for it.

Im told it a "computer change"on the fiat........but you would never know.I have a DSG auto on my touran which is perfection as an auto box....but the fiat really is very good.

barry:Smile:

mfh27748

Free Member
Mar 4, 2008
essex/london
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
since 2008
first gear is just to get it moving ,its not a racing box we have covered 33k miles since
September 2008, eagerly awaiting deliver of new Mohawk in February with euroV engine
and comformatic box .

Regards Michael

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Agreed. Excellent auto box, does on occasions need a bit of assistance anticipating sudden inclines, particularly if encountered when travelling slowly round junctions etc.

Similarly agree its a relaxed drive, certainly not a DSG.

First drive was impressive when the box changes down on hills to provide engine braking.

Biggles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2009
I was dubious about buying one but having only done a few hundred miles so far I am sold on it. There is a slight lag on 1-2 but noting that bad. Very much like 1st is on a truck, just to get you rolling. Much like old manuals used to be before synchromesh.

I do like being in the highest gear possible so find I do upshift occasionally.

Now an exhaust brake or retarder would be perfect.

Just out of interest can it be knocked into neutral to coast?

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Not tried coasting. Not something I do.

As a rule not found too many occasions when you don't need some engine braking. Prefer to do that than rest on the brakes.

Very light throttle when on slight downhill gradients uses very little fuel on diesels as the fuel is injected proportionally to the power required. Fuel & trip computer will indicate same.

Other threads confirm that the right foot is probably the biggest factor in fuel economy.

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2011 after tugging.
Just to add my pennies worth in that it is most interesting that my Renault Master based unit has the same hydraulic manual as the thread discusses, and does just the same going 1-2.

When the engine/box is cold i manually change to second as otherwise IMHO it revs to much reaching for second but aside from that its great.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back