Fiat cold start relay problem (1 Viewer)

scotty4011

Free Member
Jan 2, 2015
wales
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2013
Hello to everyone on motorhome fun
This is my first post and i'm looking for a bit of help/guidance. I have a 1990 fiat ducato 2.5td and the cold start relay doesn't seem to work as it should. When i turn the ignition on the light flicks on then off again and its tacking a lot of crancking to get her going these days. Are these relays still available?
Many thanks in advance

Jeff

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
maybe battery very low or gloplugs failing? welcome to FUN.

OP
OP
scotty4011

scotty4011

Free Member
Jan 2, 2015
wales
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2013
Thank vin, but she hasn't got gloplugs she's got a flame plug instead. i have read somewhere about bypassing the original relay but was hopeing someone on here had done it and could give me some advice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
:welc:Yep done it a successfully a couple of times tho old way is a HD push button( plenty on eBay) wired direct from battery + pole via the button ,ignition, on push buttonfor 30 sec.start engine .if you know how its quite simple .hope this helps

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
:welc:Yep done it a successfully a couple of times tho old way is a HD push button( plenty on eBay) wired direct from battery + pole via the button ,ignition, on push buttonfor 30 sec.start engine .if you know how its quite simple .hope this helps
Haha JR, pictures/wiring diagram/ offer to do it for him might help a bit more. ;)(y)

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Haha JR, pictures/wiring diagram/ offer to do it for him might help a bit more. ;)(y)[/QUOTE]
Naa ! Got enough going on at the mo
Hence if you know what your doing :xgrin:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Haha JR, pictures/wiring diagram/ offer to do it for him might help a bit more. ;)(y)
Naa ! Got enough going on at the mo
Hence if you know what your doing :xgrin:[/QUOTE]
Well of course I would without any hesitation help out this new Funster sort his Fiat out, but I haven't a bloody clue what your talking about, errrrrr, perhaps park on a hill and bump start? (Joke)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
replacement relays can still be bought but very expensive

just locate the relay and identify the power feed and output. wire a push to make switch between them is the quick and dirty fix. not at all complicated

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Whats so special about this relay ?

To me it will have a main feed from the battery/fusebox, a feed to the heater plug, a trigger from the ignition and an earth for same.

You can buy relays of almost any amperage.

Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

I also have the same problem on my 1999 Hymer, Ducato 2.8td. If JR or someone could point me in the right direction where the flame plug is (or better still a photo & wireing diagram) I would be happy to make a tutorial mod & post it on here.

Lindsay

Free Member
Jun 29, 2014
Ayton, Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Burstner Delfin T625
Exp
had a home conversion when kids were young(30 years ago).
I don't know these particular engines, but a good place to look would be the inlet manifold.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
On the older Fiat you could easily access the heater plugs or as in the op the heat element but later ones tend to be hidden along under plastic housing .not familiar with your layout mikekaren2

Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I also have the same problem on my 1999 Hymer, Ducato 2.8td. If JR or someone could point me in the right direction where the flame plug is (or better still a photo & wireing diagram) I would be happy to make a tutorial mod & post it on here.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Photos as promised, can anyone narrow down where the flame plug is located, this model doesn't have glow plugs.

Thanks in advance
Mike

Nigel67

Free Member
Jan 26, 2013
Devon/Cornwall border
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544
Exp
since 2003
Its in the top right hand corner of PIC 2 the copper coloured part. New ones are about £20.
Also im not sure just powering the flamestart direct on its own will work as there is also a solenoid that let's fuel on to the flamestart after a certain length of time when it has heated up. Also note that the glow plug\heater dash light will only come on when its below zero degrees all other times it will only flash on/off very quickly. I may be wrong on these facts but this is how i understand it works.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Better have this "pinned out" by someone who knows the score.
A blown plug will make the relay go in/out quickly as they usually have a load sensing circuit in them.
Wiring a relay (bendinx starter motor solenoid, used in the old Morris mini) is usually what is used.
I'll do up a diagram if required, but this problem is sortable by any competent auto electrician using the vehicles own circuits. Quite a common fault repair in our workshops.
I can also supply you a schematic if that helps.

Nigel67

Free Member
Jan 26, 2013
Devon/Cornwall border
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544
Exp
since 2003
A blown plug will make the relay go in/out quickly as they usually have a load sensing circuit in them.
Wiring a relay (bendinx starter motor solenoid, used in the old Morris mini) is usually what is used.
I'll do up a diagram if required, but this problem is sortable by any competent auto electrician using the vehicles own circuits. Quite a common fault repair in our workshops.

I have done the separate solenoid mod on an lt35 to power the glow plugs after the relay died but like my own m/h which has no conventional glow plugs just the one flamestart fitted in the inlet manifold do you think this will work as the fuel solenoid still has to be powered at the correct time during the heating up period? I have not been able to find a decisive answer for this as its an unusual system, the last vehicle I had with this type of system was a Bedford 330tk engine.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
I have done the separate solenoid mod on an lt35 to power the glow plugs after the relay died but like my own m/h which has no conventional glow plugs just the one flamestart fitted in the inlet manifold do you think this will work as the fuel solenoid still has to be powered at the correct time during the heating up period? I have not been able to find a decisive answer for this as its an unusual system, the last vehicle I had with this type of system was a Bedford 330tk engine.
Good question,
Not conventional heater plugs.
I take it the "flame plug" heats first and the fuel solenoid is activated later (possibly when cranking). If so, a second relay could do this, or if the fuel solonoid is set to activate after a pre determined time then a circuit using a 555 chip could do it.
I would sort the problem by repairing what the manafacturer had in place if at all possible.

Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

Jonkil I would appreciate the schematic & any instructions please.

Mike

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Basic diagram shown below on how a heavy duty relay (Solenoid switch) can be wired to activate a high amperage component.
Would still encourage you to have the vehicles own cold start heater plugs sorted, this diagram may not be suitable for your vehicle if it has the old 'pigtail' wet/dry heating system (A 1990 fiat ducato should have standard 12 volt heater plugs fitted if am not mistaken). If I can help further, get in touch.

heater plug.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back