Fiat Camper Assistance attitude to Fix & Go? (1 Viewer)

kinsleyboy

Free Member
Dec 11, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E560
Exp
Oct 09
Hi ,
Does anybody have any experience of using Fiat Camper Assistance, particularly with regard to Fix & Go tyre system?:Smile:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Surely if Fiat designed (or not) the vehicle they must be aware of what is required in case of breakdown.

Or do I expect too much? :ROFLMAO:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
As with all recovery schemes, it depends on who arrives!

If they are using contractors, especially during busy periods - which is when you are most likely to travel - they may not want to repair it! It will be a case of taking you to a main dealer (if open) or giving you a loan car and sending you on your way, repatriating the vehicle to your home address later.

That is the reality - what will happen on the day is anyones' guess. Some are very good and will repair faults the best they can, others are after the cash - which means loaning you a car and dragging yours back at a later date - difference between £55 and £1500 bill!

If no dealers are going to be open, and you do break down, ask to be taken to your campsite - you can then liase with the dealer yourself, then call fiat assist for another tow to the dealer - that way you don't get palmed off by the recovery contractor. Or enjoy your holiday at the campsite, get a hire car and then get towed home/ your own dealer at the end of your stay! Not that bad, you will save a forune in fuel! lol!

They are not all like it, but do be prepared.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi ,
Does anybody have any experience of using Fiat Camper Assistance, particularly with regard to Fix & Go tyre system?:Smile:
I would think they find it highly amusing
They (Fiat) proberbly sold the chassis cab with a proper spare,
Its the converters that dont find a place for them and give you a tin of fresh air
However I could be wrong, more and more cars are now being sold with gizmos and gadgets instead of a real wheel:Doh:

wanttobeaway

Free Member
Oct 26, 2009
on tour
Funster No
MH
white one
Exp
only 3.2 and counting
We have used them in Spain and they where very helpfull mind you that was not for the tyre

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
No experience with the van, but a good friend had a puncture in his Honda Accord. No spare, just a can of goo. This did not work, so he called the AA. They drove him to a place to buy a new tyre (no choice of where to go). He did so, and arrived at his destination (our house!) 3 hours later and £180 poorer.

As a result of this I did some investigation, since my van also had a can of goo. I discovered that my van tyres are not standard stock in most places, and would take 24 hours or more to be delivered. So a puncture not fixed by the can of goo would be costly and could cause a major disruption.

I then learned that even if the can of goo does work, it is only a temporary repair. Unfortunately once the goo has been used the puncture cannot be repaired properly so the tyre has to be replaced - along with the can of goo!

So a puncture is at best a major expence and at worst a major inconvenience.

I have now bought a spare wheel for my van!

Last edited:

pegasus

Free Member
Dec 16, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since Nov 2009
I learned the hard way the first day I got my van bringing it down from Scotland. The tyre was beyond repair. After wasting hours and spending a fortune on calls with my AA, RAC and FIAT Camper Assistance cover , I was told that tyre replacement is not included and that I had to pay them extra or arrange it with an independent rescue/tyre firm.
As motorhomer mentioned “a puncture is at best a major expense and at worst a major inconvenience.”

As soon as I arrived home (Bristol), I got my self a spare wheel!

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Hi ,

The first thing i did was get a spare wheel the last thing i wanted was stuck up North with a Fix&Go

Bill:thumb:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
When the ECU on my motorhome failed Camper Assist could not be faulted in their handling of the incident.

Amongst other things they provided two nights stay in a first class hotel in Bournemouth with meals. Taxi from garage to the hotel and a hire care to get me home.
They also sent Fiats own skilled mechanic to fit the new ECU.

I did get my wrist slapped for choosing option 3 on the helpline as the lovely lady on option 1 said they were just for taking complaints!!:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back