Fiat Camper Assistance attitude to Fix & Go?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by kinsleyboy, Feb 7, 2010.

1. kinsleyboy

kinsleyboy Read Only Funster

Hi ,
    Does anybody have any experience of using Fiat Camper Assistance, particularly with regard to Fix & Go tyre system?:Smile:

2. keith

keith Funster

Surely if Fiat designed (or not) the vehicle they must be aware of what is required in case of breakdown.

Or do I expect too much? :Rofl1:

3. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

As with all recovery schemes, it depends on who arrives!

If they are using contractors, especially during busy periods - which is when you are most likely to travel - they may not want to repair it! It will be a case of taking you to a main dealer (if open) or giving you a loan car and sending you on your way, repatriating the vehicle to your home address later.

That is the reality - what will happen on the day is anyones' guess. Some are very good and will repair faults the best they can, others are after the cash - which means loaning you a car and dragging yours back at a later date - difference between £55 and £1500 bill!

If no dealers are going to be open, and you do break down, ask to be taken to your campsite - you can then liase with the dealer yourself, then call fiat assist for another tow to the dealer - that way you don't get palmed off by the recovery contractor. Or enjoy your holiday at the campsite, get a hire car and then get towed home/ your own dealer at the end of your stay! Not that bad, you will save a forune in fuel! lol!

They are not all like it, but do be prepared.:thumb:

4. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I would think they find it highly amusing
    They (Fiat) proberbly sold the chassis cab with a proper spare,
    Its the converters that dont find a place for them and give you a tin of fresh air
    However I could be wrong, more and more cars are now being sold with gizmos and gadgets instead of a real wheel:Doh:

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

invite a polytishun with you on your travels.....if you get a flat tyre they can always fill it with hot air.....:Rofl1::Rofl1:

6. wanttobeaway

wanttobeaway Read Only Funster

We have used them in Spain and they where very helpfull mind you that was not for the tyre

7. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

No experience with the van, but a good friend had a puncture in his Honda Accord. No spare, just a can of goo. This did not work, so he called the AA. They drove him to a place to buy a new tyre (no choice of where to go). He did so, and arrived at his destination (our house!) 3 hours later and £180 poorer.

As a result of this I did some investigation, since my van also had a can of goo. I discovered that my van tyres are not standard stock in most places, and would take 24 hours or more to be delivered. So a puncture not fixed by the can of goo would be costly and could cause a major disruption.

I then learned that even if the can of goo does work, it is only a temporary repair. Unfortunately once the goo has been used the puncture cannot be repaired properly so the tyre has to be replaced - along with the can of goo!

So a puncture is at best a major expence and at worst a major inconvenience.

I have now bought a spare wheel for my van!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  8. pegasus

pegasus Read Only Funster

I learned the hard way the first day I got my van bringing it down from Scotland. The tyre was beyond repair. After wasting hours and spending a fortune on calls with my AA, RAC and FIAT Camper Assistance cover , I was told that tyre replacement is not included and that I had to pay them extra or arrange it with an independent rescue/tyre firm.
    As motorhomer mentioned “a puncture is at best a major expense and at worst a major inconvenience.”

As soon as I arrived home (Bristol), I got my self a spare wheel!

9. bailey

bailey

The first thing i did was get a spare wheel the last thing i wanted was stuck up North with a Fix&Go

Bill:thumb:

10. Spacerunner

Spacerunner Read Only Funster

When the ECU on my motorhome failed Camper Assist could not be faulted in their handling of the incident.

Amongst other things they provided two nights stay in a first class hotel in Bournemouth with meals. Taxi from garage to the hotel and a hire care to get me home.
    They also sent Fiats own skilled mechanic to fit the new ECU.

I did get my wrist slapped for choosing option 3 on the helpline as the lovely lady on option 1 said they were just for taking complaints!!:Smile: