Fiat broken down after 200 miles (brand new)- ? coolant issue, any experience

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Soozywoozy, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy Funster

Collected brand new, zero mileage m/h Wednesday on a fiat Diesel engine. Had a brilliant weekend away and then 20 miles from home, lost all power, heat gauge shot up and dash advice to stop engine(no choice anyway) engined cooled and of we went again limping back for last 20 miles with intermittent power issues. Have called fiat recovery who will come tomorrow morning but have found our coolant is completely empty. Any experience, ideas. Hoping it's not major as off for the big trip in 10 days.

2. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

That's bad news. Hope it can be fixed - it might be something simple. Hope so anyway.

3. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

sounds like a loose or faulty hose, but could be a number of potential issues that will be sorted under warranty

4. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Was there sign of a coolant leak under the van? sounds like it had no coolant to begin with :Eeek:

5. Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy Funster

Didn't notice a leak, but then again wasn't looking for one, but presume it would have shown up a lot sooner, perhaps after 50 miles and on the big hill climbs when making the engine work hard - which it managed superbly on the first journey. Hoping its as "big1" says just a fault hose.

6. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

Wow, that's seriously frustrating! :Sad:

Do hope you get it sorted quickly without any major issues.

Mike

7. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Don't tell the garage the full story you have told here. If they think you drove it 20 miles with a dashlight on telling you to stop they might get difficult over warranty.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

I'd second that, you will have to be economical with the truth as they say, that's not lying. The thing is, 20 miles with no coolant, loss of power, engine light pleading stop and most likely high temperature could have effected or warped the cylinder head ( hopefully not). Have you removed the engine oil filler cap? If the inside is full of milky sludge, theres a good chance it or head gasket has popped. I must say, if I were in the same position, 20 miles from home, "limp home? Or call breakdown and be put out for 40 minutes or so?" I'd call breakdown as I don't have warranty to fall back on and any further damage caused would be additional expense to me.:Doh: It would depend if htmbo was wanting to get back for Emmerdale.

9. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

:thumb:good luk funster.

10. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Totally disagree, tell the garage everything! I've lost count of the time I've wasted over the years trying to find a fault only for the customer to tell me one more tiny little bit of "uimportant" information an hour into the job which has led me straight to the problem.

Knowledge is power when diagnosing faults!

D.

• Like Like x 8
  11. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Tell the garage everything

On a modern vehicle I suspect the diagnostics will tell them when you stopped and when the fault was shown on the dash

12. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

I agree with Dave, and regardless, once the On Board Diagnostics (OBD) is plugged in it would tell the garage times on and off and duration.

Any "benefit of the doubt" can often hinge on the attitude of the customer, and how much time you have had to waste getting to the bottom of exactly what had happened.

You would want honesty from the trade, for exactly the same reasons:thumb:

• Like Like x 6
  13. easygirl

easygirl Read Only Funster

If you have had a light on the dash telling you to stop, and you have continued to drive 20 miles, possibly without water, i would not be telling the garage that.
    If the worst comes to the worst, gid forbid
    You may need a new engine , and they will try to wriggle out of it

Good luck

14. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Shades of the old Rover engine - loads did their head gasket in and Rover wriggled out the claims by saying it says you should check the coolant.

15. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

It still sounds to me like it had no coolant at all, perhaps a factory oversight :Eeek:
    Surely if it had leaked there would be sign of it and certainly steam from the engine bay.

• Like Like x 1
  16. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I am sure you are right but the driver doesn't have to say he spotted the light! OK, this could be taken as dishonesty but in the worst case the OP could be looking at a new engine on a vehicle only 200 miles old. It should not have lost its coolant and the electronics, if they are so clever, should have shut the engine down and it should have been impossible to drive it if the coolant level was so low the engine was likely to be damaged.

I hope it all turns out sell but running a vehicle with low coolant could at the very least lead to a warped head.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy Funster

Update - light to stop came on - we did, waited 20 minutes, restarted no problem ( thought at time loose wire for sensor/ electronics)and popped into friend 10 minutes away to show off new toy. Stayed for a cuppa and drove home, light did not come on again but had intermittent power drops, so drove very slowly.
    Called fiat assist last night and opted for RAC visit this morning. They couldn't adequately access water pump area, but also discovered no oil, (no sign of oil leak). New purchase has now been loaded up and taken away for investigation - just 5 days old. Fingers crossed its minor, and can get it back soon. My goodness, all that advice to do a shake down trip gratefully received, as we could have been in Belgium on the same miles.:cry:

18. CazPaul

CazPaul Read Only Funster

Wow no oil in either, the engine could be ruined.

Who did you buy it off, surely it should have been fully checked before pick up.

Paul.

19. Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy Funster

won't name the dealer, doesn't seem fair, and do have a few other after sales issues which they are rectifying as raised immediately on collection - e.g. options ordered did not materialise, despite checking at least 10 times before delivery., but that said they are resolving.
    The water levels were checked on collection, and were full, however did not check the oil - why would you, with a brand new vehicle, never have before, and have always had new cars.
    However, I have telephoned them to raise my concerns, so all is logged. I often feel it is how you deal with a complaint that is important. Just hope we haven't got a lemon for a home

20. easygirl

easygirl Read Only Funster

Sure it will all be sorted, and not as bad as you think
    Fingers crossed:Smile: