Fiat Autotrail - Dirty Step Problem

Discussion in 'Fiat' started by Nigel&Debbie, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie Read Only Funster

Hi,

I am the owner of a nice new shinny Fiat Autotrail Dakota, except for the Thule automatic step to the habitation area. This seems to act a magnet to all the crap that is thrown up by the road wheels:Sad:

Does anybody else suffer the same way and more importantly has anyone found a solution? i.e. will the extortionately priced Fiat front wheel mud flaps resolve the problem?

Nigel

2. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

I've had the same problem for many years on various vans. I found fitting rear mudflaps did help to reduce the dirt gathering on the step but didn't stop it.
    I have now fitted a second rubber strip between the step and the rear wheel, this has almost stopped the problem. I am of the opinion that nothing can stop the air circulating the spray round these steps.
    If you manage to cure the problem completely please let everyone know.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Southampton

Southampton Funster Life Member

I have the same problem on my Autotrail Comanche and I have front mud flaps. Don't know the answer and suspect we just have to live with it. My only concern is that to much crap and debris gets in the joints and affects the operation of it. Time will tell.

4. Xabia

Xabia Funster

To protect the hinge section of the step I have used some plastic damp proofing strip which is attached as a kind of reverse mud flap. It has been in place now for a couple of years and there has been no ingress of dirt into the mechanism which works fine.

Previously I had experienced problems with grit getting into the hinges and stopping the step from working properly.

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  5. Southampton

Southampton Funster Life Member

Mike thanks for that, I will look at doing something similar.

6. robnchris

robnchris Funster

dirty step

Hi we have an autotrail Arapaho and suffer the same problem from the rear wheels throwing all the road crap on the step, also look out for the wiring, there is a connection close to the step.

I cut a waterproof board to fit the profile of the side skirt to provide a solid wall between step and road wheels.
    A dreadful design fault by Autotrail which they have never done anything about grrrr.

7. golly

golly Funster

Same problem on my auto-sleeper Surrey, went get into van a couple of weeks after last outing and step not deploying. I had read of this problem so a good brushing of the joints and a liberal spray of silicone spray and eventually started working.

8. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

9. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

I just have :thumb:.
    Unfortunately, on the Auto-Trail Comanche it is the rear wheels that throw most of the crud onto the step.

See my thread "Case for the Defence" to for my reason for fitting front flaps :BigGrin: