1. MotorhomeFun The best Motorhome Club in the World

Register to remove adverts Register Here

Welcome to Motorhome Fun

MotorhomeFun is a large community of motorhome and touring enthusiasts. Our website is the busiest of its kind. It serves as a meeting place for thousands of members who share their knowledge of motorhomes and travel, as well as arrange rallies in the UK, Europe and beyond.

It's easy to join us and takes just a minute

Fiat/alko overheating rear steel wheels

Discussion in 'TECH/MECH GENERAL' started by bjet, Nov 4, 2011.

1. bjet

bjet

Properly adjusted handbrake and disc systems yet wheels near their bolts reach 50 deg C after only 12 miles. Vehicle owned from new ( Dec 2007 ) and 20,000 miles covered. When rear jacked up and handbrake "off" , wheels rotate reasonably freely apart from slight initial "stickiness". There is no perceptible hub end-float present. Is it worth trying to adjust stub axle nut to give some end-float ? ( should be 0.025 - 0.10 mm according to Fiat )

2. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Hi and welcome to the fun:thumb:.

With regard to your possible overheating bearing the Fiat figures will not be relevant in the slightest if you have an AlKo chasis......sorry I can't be of any real help. I would contact AlKo before attempting any adjustments.
    Brian

3. Popeye

Popeye Funster

2 Things

1. Is there any noticeable blueing of the disc

2. Does it happen both sides of vehicle

If it ain't turning blue and it is the same both sides then I would say that 50degrees C sounds hot but I think you'll find that is acceptable.........Griff

4. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Funster

Wheel bearings could be on their way out?
    Is it the same on both sides?

5. ScotJimland

ScotJimland Funster

Over greasing of the bearings will also cause them to heat up.

6. SIFTA SAM

SIFTA SAM Funster

Are the front brakes operating OK? Last year when I had overheating brakes, the problem was that the brakes on two wheels were trying to do the work of four, due to air in the other two brake cylinders.?
    Just a thought!

7. bjet

bjet

Hot steel wheels, problem solved !

[The heating WAS caused by the drum brakes. Testing with the wheels jacked-up after travelling showed that there WAS frictional contact between the shoes and their drums. The solution was to further adjust their clearance so that free wheel travel was obtained. Alko use the Fiat components mounted on to their swinging-arm torsion suspension with a different set-up to the standard X250 chassis, so "fine-tuning" after the basic Fiat adjustments is necessary to obtain proper handbrake operation WITHOUT the heating problems ! Incidentally, the rear wheel bearings are cassette types and NOT taper-rollers. They are fitted to the stub axles with nuts torqued to 45daNm.
    My thanks to all who posted replies ! Bjet :thumb:

8. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I'm amazed, I was assuming you had discs on the back which is why I suggested looking for blueing on them. Spoke to my service manager and he said that 30 degrees is not unusual.

Glad you sorted it well done.

9. bjet

bjet

Overheating rear steel wheels on Fiat / Alko chassis

The rear brakes are " top-hat " castings with disc callipers acting on their "brims" and drum brake shoes ( for handbrake only ) inside the " hats".
    Saab used this system on their 99 and 900 series cars, but on their front wheels. I never experienced any problems with the Saab brakes !
    Thanks again for all replies. Bjet