Fiat 500 V Toyota IQ

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Mikey RV, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Mikey RV

Mikey RV Funster

Going to get a tow car next year, either of the above. Anyone got either. Good and bad on each model please.

2. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

Why those two?

3. Popeye

Popeye Funster

@SteveandDenise had a Toyota Toad at Mo's last year and he wouldn't buy junk! The Fiat 500 is the same car as the Ford Ka albeit better looking.

4. Mikey RV

Mikey RV Funster

Small enough to tow, there are only two of us, weight is ok for our camper, A frame fits them. Cheap to insure, and run, free tax. And we like them. (y)

5. SteveandDenise

SteveandDenise Funster

Yes Popeye the little IQ has been a star no tax to pay and £30 fills the tank we did have a Smart for 2 years but it did go along the road a bit like a tennis ball and the robotic box was an aquired taste.The Toyota feels a much bigger car than it is and dose have 4 seats but you would not get 4 big adults in.Would I buy another one? YES

• Like Like x 2
  6. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

I like my new i10 (y).

7. Vic

Vic Funster

Mrs Vic had a 500 convertible. Nice looking car, handled really well........if you drove it like you stole it, great fun. BUT, if you wanted to potter, anything other than a smooth road it was horrid. Too harsh, too bumpy and generally an awful ride. The twin air engine was harsh, rough, noisy and could not return over 45 mpg.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. bigtwin

bigtwin Funster

Hi Mikey,

We tow the 500 on our Dethleffs tag without any issues. It's also my main car that I do 300 miles per week in. I'm 6'2" tall and find it comfortable enough.

Ours is the "TwinAir", the smallest but most powerful engine in the range (Abarth version aside). It's an 875cc turbocharged twin cylinder engine. Road tax is zero on this engine.

I average 50mpg without even trying. With some thought for economy, I frequently achieve 55mpg per tank and did, once, achieve 60mpg out of a full tank.
    A piccy of us arriving at a FP site (very nice it was too!).

image.jpeg

And enjoying the location:

image.jpeg

Our A-frame was fitted by Chris Cox (no longer trading?) - it's very basic (and heavy) so I'd recommend one of the more modern versions unless you're prepared to run the risk of having a hernia!

Cheers

Ian

• Like Like x 1
  9. bigtwin

bigtwin Funster

For me, the engine is the best thing about the car - it's a twin cylinder so isn't going to be as smooth as a four. It's turbo-charged and they seem to have designed in some induction roar - I love it!

I tend to drive in Eco-mode most of the time and only press the "full-fat" button if I feel that I need the extra power. In either mode, the turbo spins the engine up really rapidly that you can hit the rev limiter if you hold onto the revs a little too long.

Different folks, .........

Ian

10. Vic

Vic Funster

As a fun car and as a driver, a big yes. As an everyday car or as a passenger, a big no. As you said, different folks.......

11. milliethehymer

milliethehymer Funster

Although we don't tow/toad ours, we love our 500 Fiat.

It's a 1.2 (2014) and to be honest it's a bit gutless. We had a 2009 1.2 and that was a lot more manly, I think from reading bits on the Internet the 1.2 engine after April 2014 was strangulated to meet emission criteria.

It's not that economical, generally we run around town and get 46 MPG which sounds good until you compare it with manufactures figures.

BUT we are lucky enough to have a choice of 3 cars (other than MH) and it's interesting that Minty (the 500) is the car that gets the keys grabbed most.

There's just something about the 500 that puts a massive smile on my face, and to me that benefit is streets above performance, economy, and just about every other scientific measure you can put on it.

Can't comment on the Toyota, or suitability as a toad, but for what it's worth, I/we love our 500.

Good luck with the decision!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kev and Carolyn

Kev and Carolyn Funster

Got a IQ 3 with leather trim and sat nav! (Extras :whistle:) . Love it to bits and returns excellent fuel economy. Had a smart car before with a Towtal frame fitted. No problems at all. The IQ however, has 4 seats (Albeit a tight squeeze!) but better to drive and quirky! It is 900kg in weight where the Smart was 650 ish.
    However..Just in the process of having ours fitted with a new frame. Personally...Love the IQ!(y)

• Like Like x 1
  13. bigtwin

bigtwin Funster

Agreed. I've had a couple of the 1200s as courtesy cars and they are absolutely gutless! They do make some progress if you rev the nuts of them but it feels wrong and it's not a pleasure?

I'm glad that I Went for the TwinAir.

Ian

14. Charlie

Charlie Funster

We have a Toyota IQ. Brilliant little car with proper build quality and reliability. MPG is outrageous and comfort is exceptional. Up front the room is greater than we find in a Mondeo. Bugger all in the back though. Toyota built these cars to suit two people with the capability of carrying four. As a two person car with the rear seats folded flat the car is cracking. The cars were built as a premium product and make Smart cars and Fiats look what they are. Second best.

Zero VED 65 Plus MPG, Great build quality. An exceptional ride and a true useable wee car make them hard to beat !

• Like Like x 2
  15. Chipster

Chipster Funster Life Member

Didn't the iQ become the basis for the Aston Martin Cygnet?

16. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Also have a shuftie at the Renault Twingo - we've got one and it's brilliant - the turning circle has to be tried to be believed!

17. Charlie

Charlie Funster

It does yes.

The IQ was a premium product and a Japanese car built in Japan. It really is a class act ! We live now high on the borders of Herefordshire / Worcesterhire and it's really hilly ! The wee IQ flies up the hills no bother at all and drives like a far bigger car. I'm a bit of a Toyota devotee but I looked very closely at all the viable options before placing my bets. They are not the cheapest but definitely the best wee town/ toad ..

18. lorger

lorger Funster

We have a Toyota Aygo as our second car and what a great little car it is.

19. Ninovan

Ninovan Funster

Passed an Autotrail Cheyenne the other day parked in a layby with a lovely series 1 Land Rover on an A frame behind it. :)

20. Adrian1

Adrian1 Funster

went for a citron c1 looked at the fiat 500 nice but go for twin air far better, but got a very good deal on a c1 pcp plan change every 3 years and some very nice ltd editions.If pcp works my look at a Abarth next.