Leyland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
10+
Fiat 3ltr multimeter.

Hi
We're looking to get a motorhome based on a 3 litre multi jet engine and 6 spd gearbox. I have had a look around and can't find anything obvious to look out for unique to this engine and gearbox.
Anything anyone can assist with? :Smile:

Hi,
We have a 2007 McLouis Tandy 671 based on the Ducato 3ltr multi-jet 160. 6 speed box. Fantastic motor returning on average 29.2 mpg. Well worth the extra horses. :ROFLMAO:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
personally I wouldn't buy a euro 5 one as there are major problems to be had with the electronics and the Particulate filters on the engines.

Oh dear, I have a Peugeot 130bhp Euro 5 engine, what problems can I expect? :Sad:

Allan

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Oh dear, I have a Peugeot 130bhp Euro 5 engine, what problems can I expect? :Sad:

Allan

Oh yes, the whole roadside and all the motorways are clogged up with broken down vans, to say nothing of the garages being full of them...........

You can expect a really good, powerful and reliable engine. The manufacturers spend millions developing these motors which are designed for white van man abuse. A decent run and sensible use, combined with the odd Italian tune up and unless you are really unlucky you'll have a lot of fun

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009

Allan

one of the main problems we get at the garage with 90% of all diesels after 2009 is with the diesel particulate filters not regenerating correctly.
this seems to be down to a couple of factors being cheaper supermarket fuel having more bio fuel in than the engines are designed for, incorrect grades of oils being used for top ups between services / late services.
the particulate filter only starts to regenerate when it is 40% blocked.
as the emissions are tighter on euro 5 engines there are more electronics than fitted to most performance petrol cars and when they start to go wrong it's big bills.
we had a vw v6 diesel in for some problems at 72000 miles a few weeks ago and had to replace 3 actuators and the throttle body which was also motorised the parts alone were in excess of £1500 then it had to be transported to the local vw dealers for them to reprogram the ecu for the new parts which they supplied to us.
we had an Isuzu in for service a couple of months ago at 52000 miles and found the oil level too high before servicing so enquired with the customer if they had topped up which they hadn't. it turned out to be the particulate filter was blocked and was trying to regenerate and through the regen it was over fuelling which got into the oil. back to Isuzu under warranty they said wear and tear new D.P.F £1200 new E.G.R. valve £270 but agreed it shouldn't have failed at the mileage and age of the vehicle which is 2012.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
As far as I know they are both the same Iveco engine but the 3 litre is heavily updated and much further developed in terms of injection and management systems - plus a bit of extra capacity

Scroll down to see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JTD

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

We're getting 28 mpg from our 3 litre, no towing but the car doesn't add any wind drag, conceivably it might even reduce it, in the same way a motorbike with pillion can sometimes go faster then a solo bike.
its starting of from a standstill, how light u r with the acselarater i mainly drive mine in auto
although in manual u can move up the box more quickly,probably saving fuel:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
sdc77

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Re that Dpf issue.. I had a VW crafter until recently.. Most Dpf issues revolve around multi drop work and short journeys. The regeneration just never completes... Longer journeys.. No problems. (I never had a problem) Fiat certainly aren't renowned for issues and motorhome driving has to be Dpf friendly

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
3 ltr

Hi there, have you considered 150bhp 2.3ltr. We have a Laika Kreos 3800 4.250kg with auto box. Goes like a dream very new so difficult to give consumption figure. Only 6.9m long with fixed 'French' bed and massive garage.
Have fun

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
We have pretty much narrowed it down to either a Bessecar or Chausson.. Both with the 3 litre engine..(probably going to be the chausson)
So the engines great.. But watch the gearbox.. Esp reverse..

We bought the Bessacarr E795 from new in 2007 with the 3 litre option. Love driving it and had abs no problems with it at all! Have never regretted our choice. Occasionally tow a trailer with a VW Polo which ups the petrol consumption a little but other that very pleased :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back