Fiat 3 litre multijet

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by sdc77, Nov 7, 2013.

1. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Hi
    We're looking to get a motorhome based on a 3 litre multi jet engine and 6 spd gearbox. I have had a look around and can't find anything obvious to look out for unique to this engine and gearbox.
    Anything anyone can assist with? :Smile:

2. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

Fist 3l multimeter

Not sure about motorhomes "based on" this engine, but many if not all brands offering the 2.3l 6 speed as standard, also offer the 3l as an option. Our friends recently bought a 2010 IH TIO RL with 3l engine and 6 speed box.

If you're looking to buy new you can specify that, if not, just look at what the dealers are offering, and I'm sure you'll find plenty. Happy hunting:BigGrin:

3. veevee

veevee Funster

Hello

Over the last 10 years we have had Ducato 2.8 JTD Maxi work vans and have just ordered a new van with the 3 litre specs.

Before ordering I asked around on a FIAT forum and a couple of owners said they wouldn't have anything else, I believe they were both courier boys as they quoted very high milages per year.
    Not as economical as the 2.3 but driven less hard as there is so much torque and power.

That's my two penneth, hope it helps a little

4. Phill D

Phill D

only comment i have is relative to the increase in weight of the 3ltr engine and box over a 2.3ltr. i looked a upgrading when i bought ours from 2.3ltr to 3 ltr, apart from the extra cost the increase in weight over the 2.3 was such that the payload was reduced by 50kgs overall.:Eeek: which i was shocked at, but thats what the manufacturers blurb said,

so dependent on what chassis it is watch the payload:thumb:

5. keith

keith Funster

Autocruise did quite a few, we have one and wouldn't go back to a 2.3l I find the engine pulls very well and very rarely do I have to change gear for hills. Coupled with cruise control it is one of the best I've driven, and very good on fuel as the engine doesn't have to work as hard.

6. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

THis has a 3 litre Fiat and loads of goodies if your looking for new

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/brand-new-swift-kon-tiki-669-lo-line.html

Peter

7. busby

busby Funster

8. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

Have Fiat sorted out the perennial juddering when reversing up an incline? :Eek!:

9. JimboT

JimboT Funster

I have just one there are a lot of dethleffs and hymer out there we looked about 6 whats budget are you looking at?
    Jim

10. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

Fiat 3l

We had a Fiat 2.3l 6 speed in our 2008 Allegro 96. Despite the numerous stories of uphill reverse gear judder we never experienced it. Mind you, the only time I had to reverse uphill was the very occasional need to back onto the ramps. Guess we were not typical motorhome drivers:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I have the 3 litre engine in my Geist Silver Spirit 700g and I am chuffed with it. The van is heavier than many vans and the 3 litre pulls it brilliantly. I have compared notes with many owners who have the 2.3 litre and the difference in fuel consumption is so small it isn't worth discussing.

If you drive both engines quite hard the 3.0 actually becomes the more economical of the two.

Best of luck in your search and whilst mine isn't up for sale yet I'd let it go for the right offer, pm me if you're interested.

Griff
    :thumb:

12. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Peter.. Thanks but we just can't afford that beauty..

Re the weight.. It will almost certainly be on a 4 ton plated chassis anyway so should be fine.
    Re the gearbox.. I was under the impression the gearbox probs were with the 5 spd gearbox..
    We were looking for a merc.. But I have to admit that this Fiat engine and gearbox is very attractive.. Difficult to find too many bad things said about it.. (assuming my theory on the 5 spd gearbox was correct)

13. busby

busby Funster

Well my 2007 X 250 did its share of juddering. Always drove up my ramps. Shook like hell in reverse unless you slipped the clutch. Very expensive changing clutch on these vehicles as dual mass flywheel needs changing at the same time BUSBY:thumb:

14. busby

busby Funster

Forgot.. mine was a 6 speed. Busby:Smile:

15. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

We have pretty much narrowed it down to either a Bessecar or Chausson.. Both with the 3 litre engine..(probably going to be the chausson)
    So the engines great.. But watch the gearbox.. Esp reverse..

16. jezport

jezport Funster

You need to look up clutch judder and DMF problems. There has been lots of threads on most motorhome forums.

17. Rapide561

Rapide561 Read Only Funster

What year is it?

We had had the 3 litre 160 bhp and now have the 180 bhp - the first went like the clappers and the 180 version cannot be out done by much on long motorway hills

Russell

18. g8ysn

g8ysn Funster

g8ysn

we own a chausson 96 had it coming up 5rys now comformatic 3lt would i swop it only 4 another 1/twin electric bed, suits us , very raaely used solo. pull 6.4 trailer or car:Doh:

19. bailey

bailey

I thought this judder gate had died I have the Bessacarr on a 3lt 6 speed no judder tried ever thin to bring it on nothing fantastic engine plenty of grunt

Bill

20. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

3lFiat

Before you finalise your choice, here is our take on Chausson. We bought ours brand new at the NEC in 2008. It was their (then) top model low profile, a 7.3m Allegro 96, with twin electric single beds, a great rear bathroom and a decent kitchen and lounge. Prior to that we'd had a new Dethleffs.

Couldn't fault the Chausson for comfort, luxury fittings, design, economy and even overall value for money, but the build quality was not comparable to the Dethleffs and even less so to our current (and older) Hymer. The panels were flimsy, the hinges screwed in using too short screws driven into composite. The plumbing was poorly put together, with pipes from the bathroom popping apart under the settee (push fit joints).

Things may well have improved since then and certainly they no longer make the Allegro (pity as the design and layout was right on the money) and it is probably also true that we were blinded to the faults by the apparent luxury and high equipment levels. But given a choice again, I would always opt for the quality build. I've never had a Bessecar, but by repute they are well put together and also a luxury van; by comparison, the Chausson we had was fur coat and no knickers.....French!of course!:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1