Fiat 3 Litre - Fault Code P0638 Problems

Discussion in 'Fiat' started by MHVirgins, Jul 9, 2015.

1. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

We've had a problem with the injection warning light (amber) staying on. I called the AA out and they diagnosed the fault code P0638 (throttle actuator control range), they couldn't find any problems, but advised taking the van to our local motor engineer.

We were out today and after stopping the van for 10 mins, when I tried to restart it, it was idling "roughly" and no response from the accelerator. After three attempts it burst into life, normal idle speed and the accelerator was responding normally, despite initial problems.

On the drive home (16 miles) it was performing normally, it was accelerating ok from 6th gear.

Can anyone advise me on this, or has anyone else experienced similar problems? Would be very grateful for any advice.....

Bill

2. Zajacp

Zajacp Read Only Funster

We had a similar problem with our 3litre fiat based. Took it in to the fiat dealer who told me it needs a new throttle body at a cost of £ 400.ish fitted.
    Had a look my self and found that the electrical side of the body was suffering from water ingress sprayed it with wd 40 been fine since that was a year ago.
    The main problem is the front scuttle that allows the water through the window screen area and onto the engine bay .
    I did remove a air intake near the body a sprayed some more wd onto the butterfly housing Just in case it was catching.
    Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 2
  3. icantremember

icantremember Funster

We had a similar problem last year and it turned out to be the throttle housing which was all corroded inside due to water ingress. .... about £600 and only at 18000 miles.:confused:

• Like Like x 1
  4. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Eek! Don't like what I'm hearing:eek:

I know that we do get quite a bit of water into the engine compartment, it cascades down off the roof, especially at the passenger side.

Thank you both very much for your advice and comments, will mention all this to our local motor engineer. At the moment it's booked for next Wednesday, will let you know how it goes. Many thanks again(y)

Bill

5. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

If you need a new throttle housing it can be obtained for £182 delivered including the later connecting adapter cable. This is for the Pierburg unit as a replacement for the Wahler but that too can be obtained for £202
    Ignore robbing dealers!
    This is a job I can do myself within an hour and I'm not a mechanic so beware of over inflated pricing

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Techno

• Like Like x 1
  7. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Ours was replaced under warranty.. In fact that alone paid for our extended warranty

• Like Like x 1
  8. Techno

If the older whaler unit you can buy here, the discount covers the £8 postage
    http://www.bestpartstore.co.uk/1719317 OR you could pay £315 on ebay :ROFLMAO: NOT!
    Personally I changed to the later Pierburg unit

9. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Hi Andy, thanks very much for the information, I had a look and ours is a Wahler. I know the guy I'm taking it to next week, he's done work on the van before, so will go now armed with more info.

We had it back at Oaktree late last year, they put it on a diagnostic machine and no fault showed up at that time, the amber had been on, but was out at that point.....sod's law.

What's concerning me is, I've been out in the van today it started first time, ticking over beautifully, sailed past everything on the by-pass, which is uphill and all in 6th gear.
    How can I be sure that it is the part that needs replacing?
    There doesn't appear to be any moisture (visible), everything looks clean and all connections to it, are the same.

The amber warning light is still on, but no loss of power, responsive accelerator unlike yesterday, also no major fuel consumption either.......will let you know how Wednesday goes. Thanks again for all the advice, much appreciated(y)

Bill

10. Techno

Yes my light came and went and came and went etc, best just to bin it and fit a Pierburg and adapter cable.
    They look fine until you open them up
    [​IMG]

11. icantremember

icantremember Funster

That's exactly how my one looked.

12. Techno

I should add that this is not specifically related to the windscreen scuttle LEAK saga
    The Wahler has no sealing gasket between motor and throttle body, just imagine how much water comes through the radiator grill when driving in rain/wet weather. Sealing the scuttle is irrelevant