Jul 30, 2009
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Swift-Kontiki
Exp
8 yrs
Hi
The attached picture is showing the auxiliary drive belt on my Fiat 2.8 JTD 2002 (Kontiki). I would like to know if when fitting a new CAM belt to this engine, would this auxiliary belt have to be taken off, or can it be done without touching this belt ? depending on the answer YES or NO will help be resolve a problem I've had with the alternator tensioning bolt.

Attachments

• Alternator drive belt Fiat 2.8 JTD 2002.jpg
    Alternator drive belt Fiat 2.8 JTD 2002.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 137

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Hi
The attached picture is showing the auxiliary drive belt on my Fiat 2.8 JTD 2002 (Kontiki). I would like to know if when fitting a new CAM belt to this engine, would this auxiliary belt have to be taken off, or can it be done without touching this belt ? depending on the answer YES or NO will help be resolve a problem I've had with the alternator tensioning bolt.

I've just had a peek under my hood, same engine, I'd say beyond doubt that it all needs to come off.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Yes the ancillary belt will have to come off and a lot more as well. See that big head on the crankshaft pulley? Got a big socket and air-gun?
Easy job if you have the tools.....................

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Motorhome Man

Free Member
Mar 2, 2016
Upper Halling, Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Doneromin, as previously stated you will need a large socket for the crankshaft pulley bolt, you will need a tool to hold the flywheel still, after removing the starter motor. You also need a tool to check the cambelt tension as this is preset on installation and has no tensioning pulley like most other engines. I actually took mine to "MrClutch" who have a set fee, which then was about £275 inc. vat and included all the parts and a 12month warranty. Hope this informatiopn helps. Luke

OP
OP
Doneromin

Doneromin

Free Member
Jul 30, 2009
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Swift-Kontiki
Exp
8 yrs
Thanks guys, I'd probably better explain why I need to know, before I make any false claims.
I had a FULL service, including a new CAM belt, done by a local garage (Aug 2015) 5 weeks later while entering Arles (Southern France) NO brakes, pedal went to the floor. The bracket on top of the engine had been jammed under the brake pipe, which eventually fractured. (See photo). On our return, the garage accepted it was their fault, and reimbursed me for the cost incurred France (£200).
March 2016 driving through Spain on route to the Algarve, the axillary drive belt screams like hell.another £180 bill. This was because the belt tensioning bolt was missing,and could not have there because the 10mm threaded hole it fits into, that block was upside down. (see photo)
I've spoken to the garage (same one) who said they didn't have to touch the belt, so they were not aware the tensioning bolt was missing.
I have tried to get a reply from Fiat, but without success, so that's why I want to get my facts right before going back to the garage. Could they have changed the CAM belt, without touching the ancillary belt ?????????????
I have rectified the problem with the tensioning bolt, so I knowexactly what was wrong, why can't these garages do these jobs properly in the first place, would have paid any extra cost which are justified.

Thanks everyone for your input, very useful.

Attachments

• Brake pipe.jpg
    Brake pipe.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 103
  • Alternator belt  tension screw.jpg
    Alternator belt tension screw.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 105

Motorhome Man

Free Member
Mar 2, 2016
Upper Halling, Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Doneromin although the engine is very reliable, I believe it has some peculiarities which unless the person working on it is aware of it can be a nightmare. I feel sorry for you and only glad these problems were not disastrous. Think there is a lesson here for everybody, especially in regards the cambelt change. Hope you get your problems sorted and compensated for the inconveniences as well. Regards Luke

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
To answer what you seem to have asked in bold the simple answer is Yes it can be done without touching the tensioning bolt.
It would not be normal practice however, but can and has been done for various reasons on this and other engines
Geo

Last edited:

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Cliff's 90% sure they would have to take it off. Normally the cam shaft belt is driven by a sprocket off the crankshaft and the pulley that drives the auxillary belt is on top of the other pulley, so you would normally take the auxillary belt off to be able to get the cam belt past it. Even if they didn't change the ancillary belt they would still have had to remove it to change the cam belt.

We had our MH cam belt changed by a garage, but we know the problem it is to get a decent garage to work on motorhomes. We travelled 80 miles to get ours done by a person we know is experienced after being given an idiotic price by the Fiat dealer in our area. The Fiat garage wanted £1000 and we got it done at Hillmans in Poole using genuine Fiat parts for £430 for changing the timing belt, auxillary belt and air conditioning belt.

He took it down a month later to get the auxillary belt readjusted which they didn't charge for.

He's changed several timing belts in the past on different vehicles, but our van (Hymer) needed to be put over a pit, so he wanted to take it to a reputable garage that had experience of working on motorhomes.

Hope you get it sorted.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back