Nov 30, 2014
Bonby, North Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks in advance as always

Picked this van up a month ago and drove it home 250 miles no problems, checked over some areas ready for our first outing and discovered checked the pressure in the air suspension on the rear and found it to have 7psi in it the instructions said 7 psi minimum if it was being laid up and a maximum of 90 psi.

So I set it at 70 PSI ??? and left loaded up for a few days, after a couple of miles on roughish roads it appeared to judder and all the lights flashed on the dash board for seconds !!!

Carried on and got to the motorway no bother coming of the other end and driving through the Yorkshire dales this happened again a couple of times for longer periods (1 and 2 seconds not split seconds as the first time).

It sort of felt like the hand brake was being momentarily applied !!! or a bump had been massively exaggerated.

After speaking to someone on site I reset the rear suspension to 30 psi and could not make it happen again??

Could this be a case of the rear suspension being too hard and momentarily operating the safety cut off when going over bumps ????

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Is there some type of rear brake compensater extender fitted when air bags are installed, I know there was when I fitted mine from Marcel Leisure.

P.S can you get a 2008 2.8Jtd?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
colmorangie

colmorangie

Free Member
Nov 30, 2014
Bonby, North Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry Must be age thing, my mind was saying 2004 and my fingers typed 2008......

Also forgot to say the hand brake appears to be set rather tight, notch 1 starts to bind notch 2 is on and notch 3 would hold you on the side of the alps.

I have Read about the crash engine cut off but they appear to be installed in the front and the ride felt fine in the front, also I thought if they went off you had to reset before you could restart.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Sorry Must be age thing, my mind was saying 2004 and my fingers typed 2008......

Also forgot to say the hand brake appears to be set rather tight, notch 1 starts to bind notch 2 is on and notch 3 would hold you on the side of the alps.

I have Read about the crash engine cut off but they appear to be installed in the front and the ride felt fine in the front, also I thought if they went off you had to reset before you could restart.

Overinflated airbags , body lifting too high stretching the handbrake cables. Reset airbags as has been advised previously

OP
OP
colmorangie

colmorangie

Free Member
Nov 30, 2014
Bonby, North Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks Gents it all makes sense but why do the warning lights all flash in when the hand brake is applied in this fashion?

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
Do the rear brakes come on ? resulting in momentary engine braking?

OP
OP
colmorangie

colmorangie

Free Member
Nov 30, 2014
Bonby, North Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
I think so.... It's like a judder and the dash board lights flash on, nearly all of them.
As I said since I dropped my pressure in rear suspension for 70 to 30 and now I can't make it do it again. However it did go for long periods with out happening so don't really know if I have cured it or it's just hiding to give me a false sense of security, as these things tend to do

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
Ok , count the clicks while you lift the handbrake leaver, if a low count = handbrake adjusted too tight

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
If you read on the website the brake compensater should be adjusted when fitting air assistance. I think it's on Marcle leisure website.It may be that it was not done when fitted

Last edited:

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
If you read on the website the brake compensater should be adjusted when fitting air assistance. I think it's on Marcle leisure website.It may be that it was not done when fitted

The compensator only affects the hydraulic side of the rear brakes

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
Overinflated airbags , body lifting too high stretching the handbrake cables. Reset airbags as has been advised previously
Your correct with having to reset *

OP
OP
colmorangie

colmorangie

Free Member
Nov 30, 2014
Bonby, North Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
That being the case my problem hasn't been cured it's just gone away for a bit as I can't think of any connection between over filled rear suspension and dash board warning lights..... (n)

I was hoping for the simple fix of loosen the hand brake and run suspension at 30 to 40 psi

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
That being the case my problem hasn't been cured it's just gone away for a bit as I can't think of any connection between over filled rear suspension and dash board warning lights..... (n)

I was hoping for the simple fix of loosen the hand brake and run suspension at 30 to 40 psi
As I mentioned earlier, if the handbrake was activated say going over a bump it would in effect stall or at least drop your engine revs sufficiently to activate the dash lights

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Probably the ABS light flashing, if the suspension is very hard the rear wheels can skip a bit, especially on a tag axle chassis.The ABS is sometimes activated momentarily.

OP
OP
colmorangie

colmorangie

Free Member
Nov 30, 2014
Bonby, North Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
As I mentioned earlier, if the handbrake was activated say going over a bump it would in effect stall or at least drop your engine revs sufficiently to activate the dash lights

Thanks Louis, missed your meaning the first time but that would all fit nicely:)

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
Thanks Louis, missed your meaning the first time but that would all fit nicely:)
no probs, ''twas my unclear explanation (y)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I don't see how the slight activation of the handbrake would stall a vehicle at speed. Full application of the handbrake would certainly be more serious than a loss of power or a judder and would cause a dangerous scenario.
If the handbrake is at fault you would easily know as the hub would heat up.

My earlier post is more likely.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
I don't see how the slight activation of the handbrake would stall a vehicle at speed. Full application of the handbrake would certainly be more serious than a loss of power or a judder and would cause a dangerous scenario.
If the handbrake is at fault you would easily know as the hub would heat up.

My earlier post is more likely.

As reported, the handbrake activates at just one click. With the rear end bouncing on the rough road as he explained , and with the airbags inflated to that degree the handbrake would be close to activating even at standstill. The upward motion in relation to the bounce effect would activate the handbrake stronger than from the lever itself, at the same time there is less downward force on the road wheels, culminating in momentarily locked wheels and releasing as the rear end lowers.
Yes it is dangerous, that's why there are guidelines when adjusting handbrakes.
I'm sorry but can't explain it any better

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
As reported, the handbrake activates at just one click. With the rear end bouncing on the rough road as he explained , and with the airbags inflated to that degree the handbrake would be close to activating even at standstill. The upward motion in relation to the bounce effect would activate the handbrake stronger than from the lever itself, at the same time there is less downward force on the road wheels, culminating in momentarily locked wheels and releasing as the rear end lowers.
Yes it is dangerous, that's why there are guidelines when adjusting handbrakes.
I'm sorry but can't explain it any better

With short activation time you wouldn't notice any extra heat from the handbrake only from the normal friction pads

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
Also, I did not reject your reasoning, you have every right to voice your opinion, I only tried to explain a bit better

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Is there some type of rear brake compensater extender fitted when air bags are installed, I know there was when I fitted mine from Marcel Leisure.

P.S can you get a 2008 2.8Jtd?

You can get a 2007 2.8Jtd.

That's when Hobby spent all their time building 2.3 X250's when they came out in 2006, forgot about the X244's they had in stock and then sell it on to Brainhills(sic) who couldn't sell it until Sept 2007.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back