Fiat 2.3 multijet Euro 4 or 5 (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
I am considering buying a 2012 Globecar with one of these engines. The Euro 5 was announced in Oct. 2011, considering the fact that some old stock would have been at the converters for some time how do I tell whether Euro 4 or 5. Is it in the log book? or would I need to check the VIN or engine number.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Euro 4 has 2_cats one behind the engine and one under right hand door, Euro 5 has one cat and a DPF where the 2ndcat would have been.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Euro 4 has 2_cats one behind the engine and one under right hand door, Euro 5 has one cat and a DPF where the 2ndcat would have been.

Problem is I wouldn't know a cat from a DPF and I don't think I will feel like crawling underneath to have a look:xgrin:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

<<<<<<<Mine has no Cat ,only a dog on passenger seat. :xgrin:
Boris has given me a nice piece of paper stating that I am classed as Euro 5 & entitled to swan about inside the LEZ. :xThumb: He also tells me that it can be used to obtain the permits necessary to enter some European cities. No dogs ,cats or swans were hurt in the making of this post.:xThumb:

When I had to register my 2003 , but registered here in 2008 Spanish car so that I could enter the LEZ in 2012 Boris classed it as Euro 5. It only has a 1 cat & there is no dpf.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The cat is a small squreish box the DPF is a large round cylinder, you only need to glance under the passenger door (LHD), look under a few the difference is obvious.

OP
OP

Deleted User
The cat is a small squreish box the DPF is a large round cylinder, you only need to glance under the passenger door (LHD), look under a few the difference is obvious.

Thanks very much for that info, I think I can manage to bend that far:). Don't trust these dealers, even on the rare occasions they know what they are talking about.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i have the euro 5 having previuosly the Euro 4. i think if you go on the Fiat camper assist website / Fiat proffesional websit you can find out ny chassis number iD.

but . a simple start is the dash board switches are different when the upgrade came in.
from this fiat e4.jpg to this fiat e5.jpg ignore the radio its the switches is a good indicator of the change.

however, thats not to say that very "late Euro 4s may not have the newer dash

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Usually the Euro 5 has a black dash...

Simples.. :)

OP
OP

Deleted User
We are flying back to the UK from Faro next Thursday and viewing this van then, I have already agreed a price subject to inspection, hopefully it will be as described and we can do the deal.

Don't think it will fit on the flight back though!:xgrin: So will need to make some arrangements for storage for a few months, a few irons in the fire.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The Euro 4 may be better. Me and lots of others seem to have had issues with these darn DPF and sensors fitted on Euro 5 :(

Fingers crossed for you either way.

OP
OP

Deleted User
The Euro 4 may be better. Me and lots of others seem to have had issues with these darn DPF and sensors fitted on Euro 5 :(

Fingers crossed for you either way.

I thought the Euro 5 was supposed to be more economical but maybe not bothered either way now!

It will be our first true camper/motorhome for many years, last one was a 1970's Bedford CF that I got off my dad, caravans and the 5'er since.

I have spent many hours on the internet researching and looked at quite a few so I hope this one will not be a disappointment when we actually see it.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
although i did have an issue with the particulate filter sensor i am very pleased with the overall performance of the euro 5.
it would not put me off. but i was also happy with my Euro 4.

so i would not let the euro version sway me if the rest of the van and price was right.

OP
OP

Deleted User
I might be able to help out here........ Griff

I think I have something sorted out and really need somewhere in the North West as the dealer will have to deliver it locally to Preston as our time in the UK will be limited and will be flying back before all the pre delivery stuff is done.

Thanks very much for your offer though:xThumb:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
20k and no problems so far with my cat5 Fiat. :xThumb:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
@MikeD Mine was no problem at 20k either... :)
Hit 26k and the issue started.. Guess it can happen anytime or hopefully never.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
@MikeD Mine was no problem at 20k either... :)
Hit 26k and the issue started.. Guess it can happen anytime or hopefully never.

I will probably be in Italy spring 2016 when that happens then :0(

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Had our Euro 4 for five years and covered 28.5k - never missed a beat. But now traded it in.

Have a Euro 5+ on order for delivery in the spring.... and wondering if it is the right decision?

Perhaps we should have hung on to the old van, given it was faultless. Only time will tell.

But there were various other reasons for changing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back