Fiat 2.3 150bhp

Discussion in 'Fiat' started by Clayton9, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Clayton9

Clayton9 Funster

I recently bought a new Bavaria i740c (4.25 tonne) A class. I paid extra to have the 150 above the 130 and I am wondering whether it has been done. I seem to have no power going up hills having to drop down to 5th and sometimes 4h. My previous van as a Bessacarr, also 4.25 and that had no issues going up hills. I'm not even fully loaded yet.

I'm currently travelling in France with my mum who has a van conversion Bavaria, he sits at 3.65 tonne, and only had the 130 engine and he is meeting us in hills and having to slow down.

Can anyone tell me how I can tell. There is nothing on the log book, the only place it's written is the order form.

Help please??

2. zac

zac Funster Life Member

This is a very good question as i also have the 150 version but have never thought to check, it does struggle but it will also depend on what load you have. I find with water loaded (usually half) you can feel the difference as opposed to no water. When towing is of course worse as this has a dramatic effect which is probably to be expected. I would like to know how you check though as will look at mine.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

My fiat 150 at 3500kgs and pulling a Kia Rio sails up the hills no problem.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Speve

Speve Funster

Well We have had two 2.3 150 engines one in an Autotrail Tracker FB 3850kg and now in a Hymer Exsis i698 plenty of power and the Exsis is 4250 and we tow a car trailer with a Fiat Panda on board pulls really well obviously with the trailer on not quite as fast uphill.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TerryL

TerryL Funster

Take it back to the dealer who should be able to check the specifications through the order. I believe the engine is basically the same in both 130hp and 150hp versions, just with different tuning.

You could try putting the registration into one of the websites that offer spare/replacement parts - I think Halfords use that system. Might tell you something.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jezport

jezport Funster

No it has a different turbo, not just mapping. A 150BHP van should pull well. Our Frankia on a 127BHP pulling 5000KG could get up the Pennines in 5th gear

• Like Like x 2
  7. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Yes, the 150 has (I think) a twin scroll turbo. Our van has a 150 engine and it was a bit of a come down from the previous 3 litres. Got used to it though and we do have to change down going up some hills, especially when towing the car. Good engine, though

• Like Like x 2
  8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Newfie

Newfie Funster

• Like Like x 1
  10. Clayton9

Clayton9 Funster

Thank you all. We will check the engine plate and get back to you all

11. Howard H

Howard H Funster Life Member

We have the 150 Hp engine and it does take at least 4000 miles to start pulling like a 150 Hp engine ,really disappointed at first with it but now it pulls really well(y)

• Like Like x 1
  12. moulin 87

moulin 87 Funster

We have a 150 HP engine on a 3850 kgs Dethleffs and we've only done 2300 kms and at first during the initial few hundred kilometres it felt you could walk up hills faster:(...Now it feels much better though the gears are so close that 5th is a little redundant. I find 6th is perfect for cruising along on the open French roads, fine for 70kph and above...

13. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We've got the 150bhp and at first it was a bit underpowered but now it really does motor - we've got around 10k on it now and it's only in the last 1-2k that its really improved.

14. Clayton9

Clayton9 Funster

Thanks for the comment.

15. Clayton9

Clayton9 Funster

Checked the engine plate and we do have the 150bhp thank you for all of your help especially scotjimland. Hopefully the pulling power gets better