Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
I can only tell you by the trip computer so don't know how accurate that is. I tend to drive to the speed limits although, very seldom at 70mph; tend to stick to 60/62 on the sat nav, can't see the dash dials :rofl: and get between 23 & 26mpg. I have a 2015 Auto Trail with 150BHP and Comfortmatic gearbox. As you say, whatever you get, it's worth it (y)

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
We have a panel van conversion, (Fiat 2015), fitted with the 2.3 litre 130 bhp engine.

Having recently covered just under 3,000 miles on our trip to France and Spain, we averaged 31.8 mpg. We set off with a full tank, recorded the mileage and fuel purchased at every fill throughout the journey and filled again on or return home, the figures that we achieved are as accurate as one could possibly get.

WITH ONE EXCEPTION!

Like all Fiats that we have owned, the speedometer, at about 60 mph, reads about 5 mph faster than it is actually travelling, (about 8.3%). This means that the distance being recorded is also about 8.3% greater than the van has actually travelled. So the calculations showing that we achieved 31.8 mpg is more likely to be a touch over 29 mpg. Still good though!

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
We had a new Chausson 717 (150 manual) which delivered an average of 33mpg and a 'best' run of 37 mpg. We usually put the posh diesel in as we believe it gives a better return and runs better. Our present vehicle (3.0 comfortmatic) delivers an average of 31mpg and a best of 34 mpg. Needless to say we live life in the slow lane !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Our previous van which was an AutoTrail coachbuilt 4.25 tons with a 150bhp Euro 4 manual did 25.11mpg.
That was from new to 23k miles.
Our Carthago A class is 4.5 tons with 150bhp Euro 5 but a Comfortmatic box.
That has averaged 25.81mpg from new to 16k miles.

Both are logged on a fuel app so are pretty accurate.

Richard.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Do you know what.... I don't care what I get...

I just want to go off explore and enjoy... Honestly cannot be fussed wasting my time calculating what I get in fuel performance... Rather spend my time planning where to go next.

:xgrin::xgrin::xgrin:

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
I neither know nor care what our 2.8jtd motorhome mpg is. I didn't know what the MPG was on either of our two previous motorhomes either.

The difference between (say) 25 and 30mpg, over the (say) 3,000 to 5,000 miles per year that I suspect many motorhomes only travel, is frankly very very small beer.

Compared to the deprecation of that vehicle over the 12 months, the site fees, the insurance, the tax, the servicing, etc etc.....MPG really is a complete non-issue.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Like all Fiats that we have owned, the speedometer, at about 60 mph, reads about 5 mph faster than it is actually travelling, (about 8.3%). This means that the distance being recorded is also about 8.3% greater than the van has actually travelled.
I'm not sure that follows. There is only one sensor measuring the rotation of the gearbox output shaft, or the wheels, but there are two different instruments using that data to record two different things, despite both of them being together in the instrument panel.

One is measuring & displaying the speed of rotation, the other is counting the number of rotations. Much easier to be accurate about the number of rotations.

I think the regulations about speedometers say that they must never read below the true speed, but may be up to 10% fast. I don't know what the regulations are covering odometer accuracy, but they are almost certainly different.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I'm not sure that follows. There is only one sensor measuring the rotation of the gearbox output shaft, or the wheels, but there are two different instruments using that data to record two different things, despite both of them being together in the instrument panel.

One is measuring & displaying the speed of rotation, the other is counting the number of rotations. Much easier to be accurate about the number of rotations.

I think the regulations about speedometers say that they must never read below the true speed, but may be up to 10% fast. I don't know what the regulations are covering odometer accuracy, but they are almost certainly different.
Simon, I am pretty sure the one measuring the speed of rotation is doing it by counting the number of rotations over a set period, so one and the same thing. The problem is not the counting, it can be very accurate. The problem is deciding how far the vehicle actually moves per rotation, because that can vary with tyre make, pressure and wear as well as different sized wheels on different versions of the same model. Hence the reason for the allowable deviations you have set out.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Peter, I'm sure you are correct about the inaccuracies in the original measurement, although different wheel sizes will be allowed for in the original calibration.

I haven't investigated the technology behind a modern speedo, but I suspect the biggest inaccuracy occurs when interpreting the accurate count of rotation into the amount of swing of the speedo needle.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Peter, I'm sure you are correct about the inaccuracies in the original measurement, although different wheel sizes will be allowed for in the original calibration.
Not necessarily. How often do you see "special" versions with lots of added extras for free, including bigger wheels. And yet the model number for the speedo stays the same. Can make up some of it with lower profile tyres, but again that can be a bit hit or miss and will depend upon make, pressures etc.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
weve got a 2016 3 liter fiat engine on a rapido 9000 ,its now at 4500 miles and we are getting 26.5 mpg ,which i am very happy with.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You lot are just making me bloody jealous !
Without a Torquing of Diesel widget we average 20.5 to the gallon, with it 23.2
That is a 2007 2.3 Ducato chassis,, OK, it is dragging around a tag axle 5 ton'er but still..

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
You lot are just making me bloody jealous !
Without a Torquing of Diesel widget we average 20.5 to the gallon, with it 23.2
That is a 2007 2.3 Ducato chassis,, OK, it is dragging around a tag axle 5 ton'er but still..

Don't worry. Just think how much less yours is now depreciating every day than new or nearly new ones.....whether driven or not.

It's depreciation that's the cost which utterly dwarfs all other running & maintenance costs put together.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
That is one of the reasons I usually buy vans that are a few years old..
That and most of the foibles will already be sorted out :)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Autotrail Mohawk with 24,000 miles on clock, running at 4200 kg I average 24-26 mpg but very dependant on terrain, type of road and weather (yesterday had a very entertaining drive to Scotland in Gale force condions, my lane discipline was difficult to maintain) and we only managed 22 mpg.
Earlier this year touring France and Spain with our friends who have an AT Imala 615 with the 130 engine topping up at same fuel stations on half a tank or more we only put in an extra 1-2 litres.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back