Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Hello Folks

For some reason the tie down kit was missing when we purchased our motor home last year and we have not had the weather to use it so I'm only just getting around to obtaining one now.

I have seen this on the Fiamma website but it looks to me that after threading the strap through the awning and the tension spring you then just tie a knot in the strap to hold it in place. Is this correct? Surely this could be a bit difficult to undo after there has been some strain on the knot or is this the 'normal' method with tie down kits?

Thanks.

KH

OP
OP
Photo4x4

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Ah! So what they are doing is simply tying the surplus strap out of the way. That makes sense.

Thanks.

KH

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have the Fiamma kit that consists of two separate straps with clips that go into the track on the front edge of the awning and the straps are on quick release plastic buckles and springs at the peg end.
The problem is that the plastic buckles are not man enough for the job and when the wind blows the buckle can break and then you would loose the awning anyway. Luckily I cought ours in time and modified it with some bits of steel wire and some tie wraps and it certainly won't come apart now.
Once it m

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I just saw this thread and it reminded me the awning is broken so I ordered the part to fix it and then started looking at the tie down kits.. Seems worth it because it was a gust of wind that broke ours.. what I can't work out is which one to get. We have an old style roll out one and I don't think the simple yellow strap will have anything to hold on to??

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I just saw this thread and it reminded me the awning is broken so I ordered the part to fix it and then started looking at the tie down kits.. Seems worth it because it was a gust of wind that broke ours.. what I can't work out is which one to get. We have an old style roll out one and I don't think the simple yellow strap will have anything to hold on to??
Usually the Fiamma one goes over the top of the legs and over the top of the arms (but underneath the fabric )
I now have an Omnistor awning but the Fiamma kit works fine.
The pegs that come with the Fiamma kit are pretty useless though, they will bend and buckle as soon as you try to hammer them into hard ground. Invest in a couple of big rock pegs, it will be worth it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lynnian

Free Member
May 4, 2010
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Ace Genova
Exp
Since 2008
I use a couple of the small lorry type ratchet straps from any diy supplier or screwfix etc and a couple of good pegs and that works just fine and a lot cheaper than Fiamma .(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back