Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If using a Fiamma / Omnistore type lockable grab handle dont forget to LOCK IT OPEN;)
It prevents the jokers among us from trapping you in,
Very dangerous joke if your front seats are fully loaded and blocked like some I see and you need out quick :eek:
G

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If using a Fiamma / Omnistore type lockable grab handle dont forget to LOCK IT OPEN;)
It prevents the jokers among us from trapping you in,
Very dangerous joke if your front seats are fully loaded and blocked like some I see and you need out quick :eek:
G
That's another thing I hadn't thought about, that's it then, that ones out.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Correct, can only be opened from outside. And an savvy thieves would know your "out" if it's locked shut.
As they also would with a quick, and innocent looking, glance through the windows.

I had one in the past and it is a good deterant.
I found the only mounting on my van was too close to the door opening to be much use as a hand rail to aid getting in and out.....unless i could dislocate my elbow.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
True and so you could if you had dead locks fitted to cab doors and fire was at rear of motorhome ..theres always a risk no matter what you do..so a risk assessment should be done before fitting any thing to your motorhome...
Size 10 boot vs plastic windows....no contest.
Damage would be immaterial if the van was on fire.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
As they also would with a quick, and innocent looking, glance through the windows.

I had one in the past and it is a good deterant.
I found the only mounting on my van was too close to the door opening to be much use as a hand rail to aid getting in and out.....unless i could dislocate my elbow.
Not our van, nets always closed and curtain in cab area pulled too.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Could have been very useful but for all the flaws in it, all for the sake of a knob through the wall, and as I mentioned you can have both seperate for less money(n)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The Fiamma handle lock is a great way of making it easy for thief's to break into your van and do maximum damage, it gives them a nice big handle to pull on and force the door.
Happened to a friend at City Europe, they pulled the handle right through the bodywork, they stole 20-30 quids worth of CD's and it cost nearly £3k to repair the van.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
If you are considering fitting one make sure you can access the inside of the van wall, I fitted one once and it was quite an ordeal because of the cabinets/cupboards attached to the inner wall, it wasn't a straightforward task.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
The Fiamma handle lock is a great way of making it easy for thief's to break into your van and do maximum damage, it gives them a nice big handle to pull on and force the door.
Happened to a friend at City Europe, they pulled the handle right through the bodywork, they stole 20-30 quids worth of CD's and it cost nearly £3k to repair the van.

That would be the same with any handle...unfortunately some of us with disabilities rely on these handles. So in past 10 yrs never had anyone attempt to break in this way so don't think I shall be getting rid of mine just yet despite all the negative comments. ..Roy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Size 10 boot vs plastic windows....no contest.
Damage would be immaterial if the van was on fire.
If it is the middle of the night and you need to get out quick you wouldn't have time to put your size 10s on, however it wouldn't take much force to kick the window open without them ... the catches are not very strong as we found out in Pisa!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That would be the same with any handle...unfortunately some of us with disabilities rely on these handles. So in past 10 yrs never had anyone attempt to break in this way so don't think I shall be getting rid of mine just yet despite all the negative comments. ..Roy
For aided entry easy to fit a handle inside the van at the side of the entrance like Hymer do on most models.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
despite all the negative comments. ..Roy

Not checked, but I think you will find most of the negative comments are from those who don't actually have one..

as I said.. I like it..

the handle inside the Hymer doesn't help until you are putting a foot inside the van..it's no help on the first or second steps and it's of no use when you exit the van..

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Not checked, but I think you will find most of the negative comments are from those who don't actually have one..

as I said.. I like it..

the handle inside the Hymer doesn't help until you are putting a foot inside the van..it's no help on the first or second steps and it's of no use when you exit the van..

Totally agree Jim ,I looked at that option many years ago and decided it was not suitable for my van or my needs ..also think you are right ref.neg.comments....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back