Fiamma safari/privacy room query

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by kinsleyboy, Jul 26, 2011.

1. kinsleyboy

kinsleyboy Read Only Funster

SWMBO & I are thinking about getting a Fiamma Safari/Privacy Room to connect onto our Fiamma windout awning.
    Funsters thoughts/experiences would be welcome as well as suggestions of who to buy one from.:Smile:

2. Swift

Swift

I went through that route, after seeing people experiencing the clips coming off that hold the sides to the awning in wind, we went for a full driveway awning.

Our driveway awning is substantial, I would fear for the safety of my roll out awning in high winds, never mind the sides!

3. kinsleyboy

kinsleyboy Read Only Funster

Thanks for your comments. Can I ask what your "substantial" awning is ?:Cool:

4. Swift

Swift

5. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Ours came with the Motorhome when we bought it.:thumb:
    We have used it several times. They are easy to put up. Hardest thing being zipping the sides right up to the motorhome. We are both tall so we manage without a step , you may need one if your on the small side.
    We use our sides mostly in the winter as extra storage for wet boots and coats , somewhere to keep the dogs till they are cleaned off and dry and cooking with the cadac BBQ.
    We have a strap with springs at the end which Ralph threads through it.
    Then if its a bit gusty we know its going to stay put.
    You can buy them from all over the place. Any Motorhome / caravan place. I bet if you Google Fiamma wind out awning / privacy rooms you'll be spoilt for choice.

6. Swift

Swift

DO NOT COOK IN IT WITH A CADAC BBQ, YOU WILL DIE :Eeek:

7. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Haven't yet and have been doing it for 2 years.
    We dont have the door shut , and its not got an awning skirt fixed to the motorhome or totally draft proof at the bottom grass edge. So i think we are safe enough. But thanks for your concern.

8. Swift

Swift

With the privacy awning it is not the sides that seem to have the problem, it is the clips that connect it to the vehicle awning across the top, these things fly off in the wind. There was a storm where we go in the South of France one night, we are right on the beach, and a load of the vans with privacy awnings had them ripped apart :Eeek:

I guess for occasional use on non windy days they are OK, it means less to pack as well, but if you want something substantial for use in the Arctic, then see my link initial link :Wink:

9. Swift

Swift

Lucky You, how do you know where the invisible poison gas goes, I hope we don't see you in the newspaper as well :Eeek:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...seriously-ill-use-gas-barbecue-warm-tent.html

10. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

How awful for them.
    We have a portable carbon monoxide alarm that goes everywhere with us . Next time we use the cadac , i shall be putting it in the zipstore that's for sure just in case.:thumb:
    I thought the gas dropped to floor level but i may be wrong. :Blush:

But as i said the fiammas doors fastened open and there is no skirt on the motorhome , so there's a 2foot by 9 foot gap there and its not sealed up as in a tent.

Ours is the zip store version so it doesn't have the clips that fall off BTW .

Your drive away looks like a great piece of kit though. If we hadn't got our fiamma zipstore im sure Ralph would be having one of those. Hope he doesnt read this thread.
    We have enough tents in our attic to rival Mitchells .

11. Swift

Swift

12. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 1
  13. Swift

Swift

I quite frankly don't care, you should NEVER use gas BBQ's in any confined space, especially in or right next to an awning! This is basic child like knowledge, and to give excuses for doing that or making people believe it is acceptable on an open forum is downright dangerous and outrageous!

14. JJ

JJ Funster

Welcome back from your boating weekend Swifty... :BigGrin:

JJ :Cool:

15. Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete Read Only Funster

I can't see a problem using any gas burner in an awning provided it's not near to any flammable material.
    Everybody uses a gas burner in their motorhome/caravan so what's the difference?

Pete:Cool:

16. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

WTF !!!:Angry:

I am getting more than a bit jarred off with the constant stream of nasty, insulting snide comments from Swift.
    Please take em elsewhere mate.. Charm school perhaps ?
    Or will you post another meaningless apology ?
    Sorry but I really am incensed

• Like Like x 2
  17. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Just to get back to the original thread (perish the thought) I had a Fiamma privacy room when I had a van conversion which was short on living space. My eldest son slept in it most of the time (well at night anyway). It was the type with clips, but as long as they are tight (they loosen with age and need to be replaced) they are fine in quite strong winds as the sides prevent the wind getting under the awning roof, which is what usually does the damage. A bit of a pain to put up and down, much better not to have an awning at all.

18. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

have five of them.. most of the time was more accurate :Laughing:

19. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Very true (I only have three but they up for it in size - total height a whisker under 20ft)

• Like Like x 1