Fiamma privacy room

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by JimboT, Feb 8, 2014.

1. JimboT

JimboT Funster

Hi i am currently bidding on one of these on ebay 2nd hand
    Are these easy to put up?
    Are they worth spending £600~£700 new?
    Or am I better off with pop up gazebo ? These take 5 mins to put up!
    Thanks
    Jim

2. 4matt

4matt Read Only Funster

Ours came with one when we bought the van, We had a quick look at it and decided it was too much effort to put up. We are keeping hold of it though as the next owner might like to use it or we might one day. You have to add some brackets to the sun canopy these are already on ours so don't want to remove them, another reason we are keeping ours.

3. Concord Pilot

Concord Pilot Funster

I had a Fiamma clip system. Much more robust than a gazebo. After a couple of times practice takes about 20 mins to erect. Number each part of the frame to make it easy to assemble. Highly recommended.

4. ukbill

ukbill Funster

i would say no if the wind gets inside these things you are in trouble steve and jackie (spottycatz) nearly lost all their awning as well as the privacy room in benidorm after the wind got inside and had nowhere to escape to mine is a porch awning which just slots into the front of my awning so the awning is not wound out and if the wind gets in it can also escape but if it did tear then it would only cost the price of the porch awning and nit the main awning to the van which would be extremely costly :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  5. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

There are loads of people using these privacy rooms with no problems at all.... After all if the wind catches your wind out awning you can end up with it over the van too.
    We have the side blockers which suits us..
    I think they are only useful if you intend spending a while at one location.

6. Phill D

Phill D

another consideration is the weight off your payload. there is a video on youtube about putting one up.

7. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

We have an Omnister Safari room.

Used to take us about 30 minutes to set it up including pegging out.

They are fine but we never use ours now. We bought a pop up type that fits into the wind out awning which is easier, lighter and quicker.

8. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

Yes we have the fiamma clip system ,easy to put up but you need a small pair of steps ,but we use it for longer periods than 3 or 4 days ,never had a problem with the wind, making sure the sides are clipped in correctly we also made a skirt for the side of the van to stop the wind blowing underneath and keeps the dogs in.Takes about 20 mins.When not useing the safari tent we put the awning down and put windbreakers round.:RollEyes:

9. jezport

jezport Funster

We bought one and it was too heavy, too large to store, took too long to set up and made the van dark inside. Thats why we designed the awning panels that we sell.

10. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

We've got a full fiamma safari room and love it!
    As said you can put them up in 20 to 30 mins and it doubles the size of the van.If we are stopping for more than two nights we normally use it,on the plus side you can leave the beds in the van set up and eat and lounge in the awning,the only negative I can think of is that it ties you to your pitch.
    If you like to use the van a drive away awning would be a better bet.
    It doesn't affect the light in our van as there are plenty of windows on the opposite side,and we don't carry loads of junk so weight isn't an issue either.

Vlad

Attached Files:

11. Trikeman

Trikeman Read Only Funster

Have you considered one of these? Up in no time, waterproof, reasonably stormproof,,,, HUGE inside and in about 3 mins, uncoupled, sealed and off we go keeping the pitch warm.
    Not too heavy and I put it up on my own too. The loose (as in the photo)tunnel is also a large area once pegged out. We use the rear end with the door up on poles too, makes a large seating/barbeque area - dog loves it in there and doubles the room of the MoHo.

[​IMG]

Hope it helps. :thumb:

Trikeman. :Wink:

12. smiffy502000

smiffy502000 Funster

fiamma

hi. only used ours once, easy enough to put up,but the weight and the bulk of the bag it packs into put us off. don't even miss it..had no trouble selling it either:thumb::thumb:

13. Steve

Steve Funster Life Member

Hi, I have the same and have only used it once properly, practiced putting it up at home several times, you need to be tall or use steps, hop up not enough. if you get the right fixing kit and extra stapes it is very robust. As said above its a must if your going to be staying more than a few days gives you much more room. I would say 30mins to put up, 10 to take down and that on my own.
    Steve

14. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

We have the movelite xlf.. Great extra space if required.. And not too hard to put up... Use it less and less now though

15. JimboT

JimboT Funster

Thanks
    Think I will wait and see if I win it for my max bid if not will buy pop up gazebo or kyham tent thing as they are quicker to put up.
    Jim

16. phase3begins

phase3begins Read Only Funster

Have to wonder why there are so many 'used once' for sale on the web.
    Paul

17. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

always plenty for sale as people dont think about the practicalities before buying. as already said they are heavy and take an age to put up, then leaving you trapped on pitch. you might as well have a caravan if youre going to peg the van to the pitch. the weight means it is easier to have 2 people to put it up as well as needing a to carry a step ladder

like trikeman I have a khyam motordome and it has all the advantages of a privacy room without the disadvantages. its light, stable in high winds, takes one person little time to erect and allows you to move the van without dropping it first. plus you leave it erected on site allowing you to leave chairs etc behind

18. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We have tried drive-away awnings, of various sizes, but we could never get them quite right so the tunnel used to flap and keep us awake (this is on different MHs).

Another option is a large porch type caravan awning which is what we now have - easy peasy to put up, light and much cheaper. We got a good second hand used one from a car boot sale for £10 which was a few years old (we used it at Newark last year in the snow - see photos below). We found it ideal and very, very spacious, quick to put up and take down and didn't budge at all in all the wind and bad weather we had then.

However, we have now picked up another slightly larger one for £15 (car boot sale again :RollEyes: ) which is 'new' - looking a it, it has NEVER actually been put up! They obviously had a go as the metal poles were slotted together wrongly ... which is why I think they never used it! :Doh: On this one all the panels can be taken out, either to open it up for lovely sunny weather (yes ... we do get it sometimes!), or to make it easier to store (although it's not massive when packed). I can't wait to give it a go! Best of all, we got £25 for the old one! :BigGrin: :thumb:

Attached Files:

19. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I had a Fiamma safari room a few vans back when I had a small PVC. Only used it for extra accommodation as the van only slept 2 in any sort of comfort. Since my last few vans have been larger A-class I would not bother with anything like this as it makes you less mobile and to an extent tied to a pitch.
    It is very rare that I leave a site with the intention of returning to it so having to erect and take down an awning, even a drive away one, would be a problem.
    I find a wind-out awning with side and front windblockers if needed is fine, easily put up and the windblockers fit in a carrier bag and weigh next to nothing.

20. Steve304

Steve304 Read Only Funster

Hi Trikeman,

Looks like a good alternative to a Safari Room for my Apache 634. What's the make and model please?

Thanks

Steve