Fiamma Privacy Room - Will it fit? (1 Viewer)

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
Hi

My MH has a 3.0 metre wide Fiamma F45 awning fitted. As the baby is now a year old and will soon (very soon) be walking, Mrs thinks we should get a privacy room so that if the weather is not great, we have a bit more space for the little boy to play in.

It seems a perfectly normal idea but I have seen on here that many people only use them once or twice and realise they are a PIA and sell them on.

I believe that it will be a complete waste of money and I'm concerned that we won't use it because we only stay in one place for two days max, although that may change.

Now, I still need to look at the possibility of getting one as my opinion has been known to be wrong and I might be wrong on this one.

I have spoken to Fiamma about being able to buy a 3.5m version and leave out the infill panel and they say its possible but I've spoke to people who are selling 3.5m versions and they say there is no infill panel.

I have a few 3.5m and 3.0m rooms on Ebay and they are quite a disatance away so I don't really want to travel to find it does not fit and mess people around. The amount on Ebay that people are selling because they brought the wrong one is quite a lot.

I went to look at my van today to see if it would fit as the door is quite close to the right hand end of the awning.

The Privacy room will need to be a "clip" version as it does not have the zips on t.

If you look at the photo's, the end of the awning bar is clear of the door but the edge of the awning material is right in the middle of the door.

If the end section of the Privacy Room drops in-line with the awning canopy then we won't be able to use a privacy room because the door will not be able to open as it will be directly in the way of the end piece.

If the clip system means that the side piece drops in-line with the end of the front bar, then I should be able to use one because the door will just clear the end piece.

Hopefully I have explained that clear but my question is to people who have/used to have a privacy room is does the side panel drop at the end of the awning front bar or the actual canopy material?

If the Fiamma Privacy room is a non-starter then I suppose I could look at a drive-away but I'm not what these things are like.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Mark.
2017-03-18 10.56.16.jpg
2017-03-18 10.56.22.jpg
2017-03-18 10.56.57.jpg
2017-03-18 10.57.04.jpg

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
you will have the same problem with a drive away as a privacy room for getting the door open, particularly with it opening the way it does

not sure how the fiamma attaches, the same as our thule it clips to the canvas but more or less drops down at that position, maybe plus 50mm at best

technically you do not need to fit all three sides, so could still have the extra space but with one big open end maybe :)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Spawn_e_git

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
you will have the same problem with a drive away as a privacy room for getting the door open, particularly with it opening the way it does

not sure how the fiamma attaches, the same as our thule it clips to the canvas but more or less drops down at that position, maybe plus 50mm at best

technically you do not need to fit all three sides, so could still have the extra space but with one big open end maybe :)(y)
Hi. Why would I have the same problem with a drive away? I thought a driveway did not work with the fixed awning?

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
Forget it altogether. You are right, awnings with privacy rooms etc are definitely a PIA and because they are such a nuisance to put up/take down you probably won't use one more than a couple of times anyway. If the weather's bad, just move on and if it's good you won't need it anyway because you have the great outdoors for junior to romp around in. Save your money.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Try looking at the quest elite pop up gazebos. @Minxy Girl had a link about selling them a little while ago. Much more quick to put up and down especially when only staying put for a night or two.

Last edited:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I am an ex Safari room and driveaway awning owner.

I see why your wife would give consideration to these. I have to say that I cannot see me going down this route ever again,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but you have a 1 year old !

We had a zip version of the safari and a throw over the top of the van type driveaway awning.

If i were in your predicament in that you are looking for some space for toddler to play in or stretch legs on the very occasional day when it may rain in this country then I think i would go with the safari awning. They are slightly less of a PIA. You would have to keep his toys well kept in order as this needs to be put away each time you move so for example if you were surfers and went to Newquay but camped 3 miles inland you would have to drive to the beach so each day you would have to put it away and then the driveaway awning would be better so you can drive it up to it and park the van then reattach it.

My interpretation of how you want to use it favours the fiamma.

NB On aires in europe you should not use either

Whatever you decide make sure its the same decision as your wifes !

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Hi. Why would I have the same problem with a drive away? I thought a driveway did not work with the fixed awning?
It sort of can. I think you can add a rail to the outside of the van like a caravan awning, but i really wouldnt suggest that style for you as they take ages to put up and take down and then your current awning cannot be used with it.

Fairly certain on that but not positive.

OP
OP
Spawn_e_git

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
Excellent advise people.

I'll just biff the Safari room and spend the money elsewhere!

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Excellent advise people.

I'll just biff the Safari room and spend the money elsewhere!
We bought a Vango airbeam Attar tall driveaway awning. I can put it up in 40 minutes on my own, the advantages are you can drive away in seconds. The main disadvantage to us is that you need a very large pitch for MH and awning and the ground sheet is not breathable. Plenty of room to play in and huge, clear windows. You can attach it to the wind out awning rail or tether it over the roof. Hope this helps.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Try looking at the quest elite pop up gazebos. @Minxy Girl had a link about selling them a little while ago. Much more quick to put up and down especially when only staying put for a night or two.
Here's a link to my ad for the Quest 6 sided screen room:

One thing to consider is who is going to put up your awning/safari room, as they usually need 2 people to do so, or at least to save your temper! The Quest screen rooms can be done easily and quickly by one person, in addition as they are have mesh sides you can just use them as a summer room to protect your little one from flying critters in good weather whilst playing outside, or even in your own garden. You can buy the side panels for them to give protection from the weather too.

I'm not saying this just because I have them for sale but simply because having had many types of awnings, both drive away and fixed, the ease of the screen rooms is what sells them, they are also very spacious as the sides don't taper inwards as they go up, so a lot more usable space in them too. Just do a search on the forum for Quest screen room and you'll see how popular they are.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Quest 6 sided screen house being put up:

Quest 4 sided screen house being put up:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Looking at your pictures and the hab door I think you would have problems, by all means give us a call on 01-580-881288 option1 and have a chat to Simon, Matt or Nick who will be able to advise you of the best option

Lots of blow up and driveaway awnings here for your guidance

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/motorhome-driveaway-awnings-freestanding-awnings.html
http://www.johnscross.co.uk/motorhome-driveaway-awnings-freestanding-awnings.html
Peter

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yes but they don't tell you the guy spent 17 years in a Chinese monastery erecting these day and night in a weathers until he could erect one in his sleep before they released him.
Oh that makes me feel even better, it took me less than a minute the first time I put up my 4 sided one (sans pegging). Ain't I a clever girl then!!!:p

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Another vote for a Quest screen house (y) - especially if you plan to move every few days. Best bit of kit we've ever bought.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I can't see how a privacy room would work, based on the awning position relative to the door.
A carefully selected drive away awning and kadar strip might just be workable though..

OP
OP
Spawn_e_git

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
I can't see how a privacy room would work, based on the awning position relative to the door.
A carefully selected drive away awning and kadar strip might just be workable though..
I can't either. I watched the Fiamma video and it looked promising as the clip on bit set the sides out but then the huge foam bits that are on the inside quashed all hope.

For the prices for them we could take him to a activity centre every rainy day until he's about 17!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I think the options if you want one to fit snug up to your MH are to put a separate awning rail on above your existing awning as you can take it further along than the Fiamma wind out and:

either: to get a tall drive away awning and then attach it by using the new rail instead of the slot along the front of your wind-out awning, that way you can place the awning wherever you want along the side so you can move it further away from the door - but you MUST make sure you get one where the tunnel connection part doesn't have a steep angle on it otherwise you won't open your door (you can get some where you are able to throw over straps instead if you wish but they aren't always a good fit).

or: get the type of awning that isn't a drive-away one (ie one that once attached and means you can't move the MH at all once it's set up) these tend to have less of a steep angle on them too so may fit better/allow the door to open without a problem.

OP
OP
Spawn_e_git

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
I think the options if you want one to fit snug up to your MH are to put a separate awning rail on above your existing awning as you can take it further along than the Fiamma wind out and:

either: to get a tall drive away awning and then attach it by using the new rail instead of the slot along the front of your wind-out awning, that way you can place the awning wherever you want along the side so you can move it further away from the door - but you MUST make sure you get one where the tunnel connection part doesn't have a steep angle on it otherwise you won't open your door (you can get some where you are able to throw over straps instead if you wish but they aren't always a good fit).

or: get the type of awning that isn't a drive-away one (ie one that once attached and means you can't move the MH at all once it's set up) these tend to have less of a steep angle on them too so may fit better/allow the door to open without a problem.

Or not bother at all

I have spent many an afternoon sitting in my chair slugging away at many tins of Stella laughing at Tuggers as they almost implode in divorce driven rage putting up the fabled awning....
I have been blessed by the gods that the awning will just not fit...
And due to the baby, I'm too skint to swap vans.

Happy days.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We had the fiamma zip store when our kids came with us in our first mh. By that time they were 2 x 10 year old and a 12 year old. Well worth it.
Previously with the caravans we owned we had awnings then on a couple one that fixed to a runner around the edge of the caravan and had clipped on sides. Probably similar to what your describing. Still well worth it.
We only used the caravans on regular weekends away not long breaks but still wouldn't have been without them.
Great space for 3 very Little ones to paint , draw and play with playdo and lego and generally make a mess etc. Without me worrying about the upholstery hahaha.
With a 3 year old and two 1 year olds we needed the extra space. It didn't take long to put up or take down and was well worth it !
Plus because I'm a woman I read instructions and relay them to the husband. So no arguments. Then once you've done it a couple of times it's up for in a jiffy.
Plus when they were all asleep we could sit out in it and chill! Adult space.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
just to put the final nail in the idea of a fiamma room, it wont fit on your van because of the door. all down to a stupid designer, you cant even rely on the canopy to keep you dry as you open the door

OP
OP
Spawn_e_git

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
just to put the final nail in the idea of a fiamma room, it wont fit on your van because of the door. all down to a stupid designer, you cant even rely on the canopy to keep you dry as you open the door
Excellent.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back