Fiamma Level Maxi Ramps

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by knokinonabit, Aug 6, 2013.

1. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

We bought a pair of these items last year and initially were happy with them. They gave us enough adjustment to get the MH level easily and they are shaped so that the wheels sit in a curved part and are held firm.

After about three months of use they started to show signs of crushing, but still did the job. A few weeks ago we were at a steam rally and one of the ramps cracked between the first and second levels, but only on one side. A week ago, while setting up at Pickering steam rally, it cracked again, this time down the other side, but held together. When I moved off the ramps at the end of the rally the it split completely in two.

Because I liked the amount of height they gave I decided to replace them, thinking that it was probably rough ground that had caused the failure. When I looked on the Johns Cross website they could not be found, so I checked Fiamma's web site for them. They are now not listed by Fiamma, so I rang Johns Cross to see if they had them in stock. It would appear they have been discontinued. I wonder if this is anything to do with the fact that they snap in half ?

I have now ordered a pair of Milenco Quattro Levels from Johns Cross, so lets hope that they last a bit longer than the Fiamma ones did. I will keep the odd Fiamma one which will do to level up in my drive.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  2. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

We had 2 lots of fiamma levels, both sets broke, now on to the milenco Quattro, even one of them broke, perhaps because Terry drove over the top of it, not to be advised, got out of that unscathed thankfully

3. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Maybe it's just that they aren't strong enough to spread the load over uneven ground ?

Time will tell. Might have to resort to making some of my own :Wink:

4. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

several good seasons use out of our millenco quattros and they are still going strong

• Like Like x 3
  5. laneside

laneside Funster

Without mentioning any names, the van parked next to us at Portugal had the very same problem with a brand new set of fiamma, they completely broke in half.

6. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Seems like it is/was a definite problem with them. :Angry:

7. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

I don't have seasons as the MH is in use all year for various activities and just plain old chilling :BigGrin:

8. Brightspark

Brightspark Funster

If they were under a year old I would of taken them back for a refund
    'NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE'

9. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Funnily enough I am searching for the receipt as I can't remember exactly how old they are. I am sure I bought them from Johns Cross, which would have been by phone or on line, but can't be certain. If I can't find it then I am out of luck I guess.

10. JohnM

JohnM Read Only Funster

we have the same problem with ours both are split in several places.
    I have noticed thule [omnistor] are doing a set in black very similar to the fiama set.

11. g8ysn

g8ysn Funster

g8ysn

i use 4 milenco caravan levelrs when i park up slip them under each weel and level at your own pace been using then this year no problem
    take weight with drill [as caravan] then manually with spaner suplied:Eeek:

12. Brightspark

Brightspark Funster

What weight will these caravan levellers take?

13. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Fiamma

We have bought a fair bit of Fiamma stuff but it has all been slightly or totally disappointing.

We don't buy their stuff anymore

14. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

In June last year I replaced broken Fiamma ramps that were quite old, with Thule, mainly because the Thule came with a nice storage bag!.

May this year both Thule ramps broke on some softish ground. As I bought them in Sweden it was difficult to take them back.

I am well within the stated weight limits!

So I now have milenco, I went for the triple as I thought this big enough and not quite so large / heavy to store. - we'll see what happens!

15. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Oh bu**er. I just bought a used pair of Fiamma ramps! Still, they only cost me a rennet, look quite well used and no signs of cracking....yet
    Allan

16. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Are they yellow or black ?

Yellow = ok
    Black = not good

17. coldstreamer

coldstreamer Funster

Hi, We have had Fiamma ramps quite a few years, before we first used them I bolted a piece of 1/2" ply.. the same width but 3" longer. Used 2 bolts, one at the front one at the back. The object was to drive on the Ply first (which stopped the ramp slipping) then progressed up the ramps till level. I think the Ply has helped to stabalise the ramp and evened the weight, plus ideal if on hard standing.
    What ever! they are about five years old and still in good nick!
    Best Regards Mac

18. sedge

sedge Funster

We had yellow Fiamma 3-level ramps until their sides split, as it were.

So we dispensed with them at the end of last years outings, ie November - and started with new Millenco Quattros in March this year.

The Fiammas had been in use for 3 and a half years and we thought probably because of the 'honeycomb' construction of the base, if you use them on stony ground, eg quite a number of French aires ! - this caused too much/uneven stress and strain. The base of the MQs is completely flat with just a couple of drainage holes so we thought this should aid the weight distribution. Time will tell no doubt !

19. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

We have been using our set of Millenco Quattros for just under 3 years now, they're very sturdy and not showing any signs of wear. Hopefully they will continue to give good service when we change to the Autotrail in a couple of weeks. I noticed a small set of yellow ramps in one of the Autotrail lockers, I'm assuming that these are the Fiamma ones....but think we'll continue to use our Millenco ones as they look a lot more substantial.

Bill

20. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

If they are the yellow ones they are no problem, we have a pair. It is the large black ones that have broken, but I was thinking of doing something similar myself. Too late now :Doh:

The Fiamma ones that failed give the same amount of height as the Quattros but with three steps up instead of four and they are black. As I said above, the yellow (smaller) ones have been no problem. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1