Fiamma Fixing-Bar Carry Bike

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by grymbo, Aug 4, 2013.

1. grymbo

grymbo Read Only Funster

Hi. On my continued quest to find a solution regarding best option for transporting my bike via motor-home I have come accross this system recommended for week walls. Can't find a review any where. Any one know about or had any experience with them?
    Oh, the link > http://www.agentfiamma.co.uk/fiamma-fixing-bar-carry-bike.html
    Cheers :thumb:

2. chaser

chaser Funster

Looks good:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  3. lunarman

lunarman Funster

Reading the compass motorhome manual it says:

2.3Bicycle Racks Fitting a bicycle rack to the rear panel of a motorhome will affect how weight is distributed. There are restraints to be aware of with such fitments. We would advise you to carry a maximum of 75kgs on the bicycle rack provided this does not exceed the bicycle racks own weight limit. The motorhome must also be balanced to take into account the new weight distribution. Weight must be distributed evenly. Bicycle racks are not standard fit or supplied as an optional extra by The Explorer Group. Explorer cannot be 3 held responsible for problems related to a bicycle rack fitted by a third party. A copy of the rear panel drawing must be obtained from The Explorer Group to ensure correct fixing points are located.

This implies that the panel is strengthened already. A call to Explorer group may get you the answer you are looking for.

Lunarman

If you don't have the manual you can download it from here http://www.elddis.co.uk/why-choose-elddis/brochure-downloads?archive=1

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  4. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I have no experience of that Fiamma kit, but it IS more or less how I fitted my rack on my mh.

I used a length of extruded ally on the outside that spreads the weight across the two internal beams on the bottom fixing, and inside on the top fixings a piece that goes right across the inside of the van ( I am, I know, fortunate in that we have a bunk bed right across the back so it was a very easy job to do ).

For me, the total cost was about £12.90 including bolts !

• Like Like x 1
  5. grymbo

grymbo Read Only Funster

Lunarman reply.

Thanks for the information. I do in fact have the manual but as I'm sure you know, the rear wall plan is not included and can only be obtained from Elddis via a retailer (this information is not given to private individuals Elddis informed me).
    My problem is is that it was a private sale complicated by the fact the retailer has ceased trading. Elddis advised that any retailer of their vehicles would be happy to oblige. I'm sure they would if there was a job in it for them. It may well be that's the way I'll go but I know I could do the job myself armed with this information.:thanks:

6. chaser

chaser Funster

Well if you want I can give you the measurements off mine, but honestly I wouldn't trust it, the bikes on it must flex it 2 inches or more.

7. grymbo

grymbo Read Only Funster

Caser reply.

A 2 inch flex would concern me however...had a conversation with a chap who works in a caravan/motorhome centre in Dumfries. He was of the opinion that the horizontal timbers in the window area extended from the corner vertical timbers only to the beginning of the window frame on either side, not as I would have thought, all the way underneath it (if you follow me thus far).
    If that's the case, that would explain the flex (having looked again at the pics you so kindly provided).
    I'm thinking then (in the absence of concrete information) the fixing bars would work because they would extend the entire length of the rear wall picking up both the horizontal and verticle timbers towards the corners.
    I know where the bottom horizontal timber is because seat that runs along the rear lounge wall is attached to it (which is good because that's a fact, not so good because it is the upper which takes the load).
    Awaiting a call back fro Agent Fiamma to discuss this with them. Will post the outcome to bore all further.:Rofl1:

8. chaser

chaser Funster

This is one answer I got when I was asking on here about the same thing

Friend of mine with a Compass damaged the back wall on his van by fitting a cycle rack. He had to fabricate rt angle brackets and bolt them to the floor to reinforce it.

9. grymbo

grymbo Read Only Funster

10. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

If you want a professional opinion from someone who actually fits 100's of bike racks give Glenn Harris my servce manager a call and pick his brains as to how to do it.
    01-580-881288 option 3

Peter

• Like Like x 2
  11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

JEEZ !!!! at first glance i thought the £110 was for the bars on their own. :Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  12. isitfriday

isitfriday Funster

• Like Like x 1
  13. grymbo

grymbo Read Only Funster

Thanks for all suggestions and offers of further help. Food for thought and all to consider. :Smile: