Fiamma drip strip / mini gutter (1 Viewer)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I fitted this guttering last year on an A-class. One section above the driver's door, the other above the passenger's sliding window. It works fairly well but if you are in a serious downpour, or there is a lot of water left on the roof after rain, the flow of water off the roof will overwhelm any guttering of a size that can be fitted to a motorhome.
I think it was worth doing. I set it at a gentle slope downwards towards the back.

n.b. Available in various lengths from John Cross with Funster discount - that's where I got mine.
http://www.johnscross.co.uk/fiamma-drip-stop-75cm.html

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Thanks for that, it's only really a problem when opening sliding door when raining, cold water down your neck certainly wakes you up. I think its worth a try, do's it bend easily to direct the flow ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hi, Golly, yes we had a problem with drips when we had our Elddis Autoquest and fitted one over the habitation door. I was a bit tricky to get it to stick, but warming it up slightly made a difference to it's flexibility(y)

It did help a bit, but as Jean Luc says, not much help in a serious downpour. We recently saw our Elddis for sale in Oaktree and it made us smile to see the "drip strip" still in place after two years.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I fitted this to my PVC. It is brilliant. I couldn't get the door to line up properly and was getting small water leaks inside. This cured the problem totally and also stopped the problem you mention.

I would advise storing it somewhere warm before fitting and ideally do it on a hot day if possible.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
My suggestions for fitting:
  • Hang it with a weight, or at least lay it out flat for a few days before you start in order to minimise the natural curve from packing (it comes rolled up)
  • Do it on a warm day
  • Clean the surface very thoroughly with methylated spirit or isopropyl alcohol
  • Work out the line you want to follow and draw a guide line in light pencil on the van
  • Make sure you get the measurement right, including the correct radius for any bends (at the ends)
  • Cut it to length before fitting - hard to trim once it is in place
  • It will follow quite a tight curve but take your time and pre-bend it as you fit in place to reduce the pressure on the adhesive
  • The adhesive strip sticks like the proverbial s**t to a blanket - it is almost impossible to reposition once in place.

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Our PVC came with a drip strip over the sliding door and it works very well.

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I used this as water deflectors 30 cm each length each side of the roof so the rain water is deflected onto the windsheild and not the the body support pillars thus eliminating the so called black streaks ..warm them up first either in hot water or use a heat gun, as said elsewhere make sure you clean the receiptant surface first

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Thanks for all the advice, I will get some ordered and wait for warmer weather to put it on.
Thanks , John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back