Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Yorkshireman living in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
What a pain..

Key side is set so one cant really get the key in without banging knuckles. The key and barrel are also low quality and the key doesnt 'just slip in' it needs a waggle to find its home and feels rough as old boots going in!

Anyone else have similar probs with theirs ?

We got ours fitted before we picked up the MoHo but I would have looked at an alternate If id have know it would such a faff.

Pretty good as a handle for helping getting in and out and hopefully half way decent at keeping the hab door secure, but bloomin heck, pain to lock and open !

Fiamma_Security_31_and_46_Security_Door_Handle[7].jpg

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Had one on he Miller and have another on the Autotrail
The only issue we have ever had is the actual spindles the things rotate on corroded.. I stripped it all apart, cleaned it all up, applied a tiny dribble of ACF50 and that fixed the problem permanently

The key should be easy to use and if it isn't and you should perhaps have a dig at the dealer who fitted the unit ?
If it has been a long time since fitting, I would suggest a simple fix would be a puff of graphite powder in the lock.
Do not be tempted to use oil ! It will be great for a little while but road dirt etc will make the oil in to a sticky mess !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f..._nkw=Graphite+Powder+Lock+Lubricant+&_sacat=0

Loads for sale on fleabay and nice and cheap too :)

OP
OP
EyUp

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Yorkshireman living in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
The lock is only about three months old and had minimal use so its not because its worn. I will try some of that graphite powder and see if it gets smoother. Thanks for the link @Jaws just purchased :xThumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Agree. The lock itself is made of cheese.
When I fitted ours, I also fitted the extra lock you can buy that you attach to the door itself and which turns so as to cover the handle...and that's the one we lock, rather than the rubbish one within the handle itself.
Much more secure, much more visually secure too, and easier to lock/unlock.
I also fitted the handle so when in its closed-over-door position it covers the keyhole for the hab door lock.
In the photo below you can see the extra lock fitting (it's a stock photo, not one of my actual MH)
security_46_pro_exp_01.jpg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The lock on the handle is a total waste of time but a fantastic aid to the burgler.

The arm is nothing more than a fixed plybar and with a hard pull on the end will simply damage the fixed end and pull out of the way.
The bad man couldn't give a monkey's how much damage is done.

The secondary lock attached to the actual door prevents the handle being moved at all.
Well worth the extra few quid.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The lock on the handle is a total waste of time but a fantastic aid to the burgler.

The arm is nothing more than a fixed plybar and with a hard pull on the end will simply damage the fixed end and pull out of the way.

The secondary lock attached to the actual door prevents the handle being moved at all.
Well worth the extra few quid.
Apart from the fact the lock uses a round barrel key which a deaf and dumb one armed goat with an aqualung and a speech impediment can open with a felt tip pen in about 10 seconds ! ( ok, the goat bit is silly but the felt tip pen is true )

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Can I ask, how much room do you need on the inside of the door frame to fit the rear plate?

My kitchen / sink unit comes pretty close to my lab door, not sure I'd have the room inside to fit one of these?

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016

Lol a few months ago i discovered how easy these locks seemed to be to open , and after watching a few you tube videos on how to open them I armed myself with an assortment of pens , 20 mins later my habitation door was still locked, so if you are looking for a burglar ,, DO NOT phone me :D :D

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Can I ask, how much room do you need on the inside of the door frame to fit the rear plate?

My kitchen / sink unit comes pretty close to my lab door, not sure I'd have the room inside to fit one of these?
if you use the supplied reinforcing plates, they are about 50mm x 100mm it may be difficult but there is always a way to make the mountings for the handle to fit

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Very true a friends van with one had £3k of damage they pulled the mountings through the wall. I think he was lucky could have done much more damage and they stole all of £20 worth of stuff.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
What do you do with the lock when the van is occupied? Is it swung back to lie against the body?
So when it's locked against the door, you are advertising that the van is empty, an open invitation to an opportunist burglar who will probably just force a window open to get in.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Apart from the fact the lock uses a round barrel key which a deaf and dumb one armed goat with an aqualung and a speech impediment can open with a felt tip pen in about 10 seconds ! ( ok, the goat bit is silly but the felt tip pen is true )
But It doesn't it has a normal key ?
And all that is required to make it a super smooth lock is a spray with WD40 on the KEY ONLY.
An extra key ring on that key, attaching it to the the main bunch to give it a bit of leeway
Bobs yer Aunt a purfickly smoooove easy to use lock
G

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
But It doesn't it has a normal key ?
And all that is required to make it a super smooth lock is a spray with WD40 on the KEY ONLY.
An extra key ring on that key, attaching it to the the main bunch to give it a bit of leeway
Bobs yer Aunt a purfickly smoooove easy to use lock
G
Cooooeeeeeee .. I know its early mate but do try and keep up at least :xrofl:
Have another cuppa and try again :xThumb:

The big D handle has a standard key yes.. But the extra security gadget that bolts to the door and stops the handle being pulled / forced has a barrel key ...

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Don't forget to inform your insurance company.

If you don't when it is ripped off, the insurance companies will question the size of the repair bill, which can be high and refuse the claim

The premium will probably rise due to fitment which some find counter intuitive, "assuming" it is what it isn't, a security divice

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Don't forget to inform your insurance company.

If you don't when it is ripped off, the insurance companies will question the size of the repair bill, which can be high and refuse the claim

The premium will probably rise due to fitment which some find counter intuitive, "assuming" it is what it isn't, a security divice
I'm with Eddie on this, as an aid to climb the step/steps they are good but as for security, no, but as an advertisement your Moho is unoccupied, brilliant bit of kit.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Lol a few months ago i discovered how easy these locks seemed to be to open , and after watching a few you tube videos on how to open them I armed myself with an assortment of pens , 20 mins later my habitation door was still locked, so if you are looking for a burglar ,, DO NOT phone me :D :D
Dont beat your self up too much Bart !
Some of the later locks are much better than the earlier ones

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Had one on he Miller and have another on the Autotrail
The only issue we have ever had is the actual spindles the things rotate on corroded.. I stripped it all apart, cleaned it all up, applied a tiny dribble of ACF50 and that fixed the problem permanently

The key should be easy to use and if it isn't and you should perhaps have a dig at the dealer who fitted the unit ?
If it has been a long time since fitting, I would suggest a simple fix would be a puff of graphite powder in the lock.
Do not be tempted to use oil ! It will be great for a little while but road dirt etc will make the oil in to a sticky mess !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f..._nkw=Graphite+Powder+Lock+Lubricant+&_sacat=0

Loads for sale on fleabay and nice and cheap too :)
Dont be tempted to "puff" some graphite power in your hand to see what its like!

davida71uk

Free Member
Apr 7, 2021
Solihull, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Mohawk
Exp
Fairly New
What would be involved in removing one of these locks permanently? I'm considering replacing with a new lock in the current position but also removing completely. Is the body panel then simply patched with rubber plates to seal the former holes? The circular lock in the top hinge is made of cheese and no longer actually locks the handle and pin. I can still pull the pin down after locking it. Would replacing the lock barrel resolve that? It also looks like it's been installed with a sledgehammer as there is a real pressure indent around the top hinge connecting to the van wall. This is on a used van we recently purchased.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
What would be involved in removing one of these locks permanently? I'm considering replacing with a new lock in the current position but also removing completely. Is the body panel then simply patched with rubber plates to seal the former holes? The circular lock in the top hinge is made of cheese and no longer actually locks the handle and pin. I can still pull the pin down after locking it. Would replacing the lock barrel resolve that? It also looks like it's been installed with a sledgehammer as there is a real pressure indent around the top hinge connecting to the van wall. This is on a used van we recently purchased.
unbolt from the inside.
Remove the handle and clean up
Squeeze some sikaflex or puraflex 40 into the holes
fit M6 coach bolts in the hole
Using nuts and washers, tighten up inside

It will then be waterproof

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
What a pain..

Key side is set so one cant really get the key in without banging knuckles. The key and barrel are also low quality and the key doesnt 'just slip in' it needs a waggle to find its home and feels rough as old boots going in!

Anyone else have similar probs with theirs ?

We got ours fitted before we picked up the MoHo but I would have looked at an alternate If id have know it would such a faff.

Pretty good as a handle for helping getting in and out and hopefully half way decent at keeping the hab door secure, but bloomin heck, pain to lock and open !

View attachment 137027
Have had the exact same experience as you with ours. Fitted when our hab door lock was broken. Since being repaired we hardly use the Fiamma, largely because of the difficulty in locking and unlocking. Hope there’s an answer.

davida71uk

Free Member
Apr 7, 2021
Solihull, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Mohawk
Exp
Fairly New
They seem to be junk by all who comment on issues with them. I’d remove ours and get the smaller flip over locks but I cannot see any way of getting at the inner plates to unbolt it. I think replacing the barrel lock may be the next step.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back